Author Topic: Hi, from CW NSW  (Read 2567 times)

Offline G54B

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hi, from CW NSW
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
Evening gents. I'm Josh, I'm 25, I'm from Parkes, NSW and I ride an '82 IT250J.
I was originally looking for another DT175G to replace the one I blew up when I was a kid, I loved that bike... Anyway, the IT came up cheap enough so I bought it instead. It was rough, but mostly there sans-lights and silencer insert and had nothing major wrong with it (crank seals, base gasket was blown, forks were stuffed, tyres were crap and the chain and sprockets weren't flash).
It's now got a 1mm over top end (apparently it was worn badly enough to warrant skipping the third oversize entirely), YZ125K forks/upper triple and a custom (read: homejob; it's a good one, though) silencer that I was given for nothing. I have suspension (43mm front end, emulators and 0.48kg springs; shock's getting rebuilt, revalved and sprung to suit my weight/pace. So heavy and slow ;D ), tyres (I scored a pair of Motoz tyres at Cookardinia last year, the front went on my brother's WR426 but I still have the rear. I have a Kenda Carlsbad for the front) and cosmetic stuff to go and it'll be finished.

As I bought it- October 2013

And now-ish; the ugly gooseneck taillight has since been replaced by an afermarket MCS one.

Some of you may have seen it at Cookardinia last year; it was the one rattling like a tin full of nuts and bolts in a paint shaker with the IT200 headlight ocky-strapped to the front.

Once the IT is finished I'll be looking for an XR500/pre-'90 XR600 or a pre-'90 TT600; after spending the last couple of weekends on my brother's spare bike (a '91 XR600) it's safe to say the big-bore 4T bug has bitten, hard... lol.

Anyway, that's me.
-Josh
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:50:05 PM by G54B »

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, from CW NSW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »
 Welcome Josh ,
       Keep working on that IT  & bring it to next  Canowindra  Vinduro   , a great ride   ....... & only an hour or so travel for you.

Regards ,
                    Steve 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:05:57 PM by b490 »

Offline G54B

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
That's the plan. I was planning on making it to the last one, got as far as reserving an event license but I couldn't organise transport in time  ::)
Cheers mate :)

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
 You  should enjoy the laid back  , social  nature of these events , with plenty of riding on offer.
  You may cop a bit of flak about that shocker  of a tail light though   :o , so you might want  to   think abut a more suitable alternative  ;D

Regards ,
                    Steve

Offline G54B

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
 ;D ;D
Already dealt with, it's got an MCS XR4 on it now. Page 11, top left:
http://mcsonline.com.au/Catologue/ch_2.pdf
Doesn't fit very well, but it's exponentially better than the gooseneck. I'll have to get some current photos, the bike's currently in a mate's shed in town.

I was at Cookardinia last year (you'll notice the oil splattered all over my left boot and on the front tyre; that's the blown left side fork seal I ended up with after hitting the ditch just past the big stump out the back at warp speed. Twice. Haha)

And the YamahaIT Forum ride in November

So if the VTR rides are anything like those ones I'll have a ball :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:27:09 PM by G54B »

Offline motormouse

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:26 PM »
G'day Josh
  Good to see a young fella having a crack.
Can recommend Canowindra, top weekend. I'm in Parkes and have some old IT 175 forks and shock that might help with your DT project, no cost. Also mate has a tidy 86 XR 600 for sale if you are interested. Check PMs.

Thanks, Dave.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
XR600...the best thing about a big fourstroke is when you realise how much better a light nippy two stroke is on the side a of a snotty hill. the dark forces have you....beware!