Author Topic: Restoration Project Knowledge  (Read 14376 times)

Offline Photomike666

• Novice
  • I've got serious thrill issues, dude!
    • View Profile
Restoration Project Knowledge
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
Restoration Project  Knowledge

I’m guessing there might be the odd one or two members here who might have attempted to coax several piles of rusting junk into a shiny show winning VMX bikes.  And I’m also sure there are a heap of us noobs/first timers/resto virgins who are here considering our first attempt at fixing up that dream bike which has miraculously degenerated into a rusting heap that won’t start.  So I thought I’d start a thread to allow a shared knowledge base of how to go about a project.

This isn’t a thread for specifics, like the exact micrometers of acceptable wear on the woodruff key of a 1978 Yamaha RS125, but more where to start; what to look for in a project bike, then where to start and how to plan a project.  Specifically I’m thinking which areas of the bikes should be done in what order, what tools are essential, good places for parts (OEM, aftermarket & used), what jobs are easy to do in at home and what should be farmed out to an expert.
V8 SS Ute, ZX10R (x2 road & track), '87 Honda CR250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration Project Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:15:06 am »
Buy a can of roost off and some soft tie wire for starters
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:25:34 am »
OK - I'll play  :D :D

Tip #1 - take LOTS of before photos from every conceivable angle and keep taking them as you go along.  They help with reassembly as well.   After you've finished you can look back at what a piece of junk you have turned into a stunner.

Tip #2 - buy lots of zip lock bags and put parts in and label them carefully with a full description as you go.  Don't think you will remember where bits go - you won't  :o :o :o

Tip #3 - Enjoy the journey that is bike restoration  8) 8) 8)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:49:07 am »
Tip #1 - take LOTS of before photos from every conceivable angle and keep taking them as you go along.  They help with reassembly as well.   After you've finished you can look back at what a piece of junk you have turned into a stunner.

Tip #2 - buy lots of zip lock bags and put parts in and label them carefully with a full description as you go.  Don't think you will remember where bits go - you won't  :o :o :o

Tip #3 - Enjoy the journey that is bike restoration  8) 8) 8)

Couldn't agree more, cannot have too many photos or zip lock bags, even with a description of how the part fits on in the bag, in very specific technical terms of course, "big hole to the inside"  ;D

Nothing worse than putting something back together 12 months or 3 years later and trying to work out if it goes this way or that way and does the 12mm or the 13mm bearing go there  ???

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:57:54 am »
Step 1. Win Lotto
Step 2. Build fortress of solitude (wife cant get in)
Step 3. Make appointment for lobotomy
Step 4. Research the model you like
Step 5. Realise parts are difficult to find so locate a complete machine.
Step 6. Realise parts are difficult to find so repeat step 5 a few times for spare parts.
Step 7, Fill beer fridge for mates who can do what you cant.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:08:49 am »
In no particular order, mostly relating to choosing the right bike:

1. Be realistic about the skills and resources you have at your disposal.
2. Sit down and cost everything out before you start. Knowing what stuff costs to repair/replace allows you to make far better decisions.
3. Work out what standard/budget you want to build it to.
4. Don't get locked into the one bike, and don't get locked into fixing everything. If you discover serious/expensive faults, go and buy another one (component or whole bike).
5. Your first resto will be the hardest, most expensive and probably the lowest quality.
6. Don't kid yourself that it's a money-making exercise - it's the opposite. If you're not in it for the love of it, do something else.
7. Learn to look past cosmetics. An original condition, low-hour bike with faded plastics is a MUCH better starting point than a flogged out POS that's got new tyres and shiny plastics.
8. Know what the hard to get parts are for your particular model.
9. Beware "just had full rebuild". Lots of sellers blatantly lie. Again, an honest, slightly downtrodden bike is far better than a pig with lipstick.
10. Enjoy the process. If you're halfway through and it's pissing you off, ignore it for a week/month/year.
11. Try to stick to one active project at a time. It's ok to be collecting parts for another project while you're working on the first project, but only one bike should be on the work stand at once.
The possible exception to this is if you're doing two similar bikes and are doing the "production line" restos on both, but I'd still avoid it.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:39:22 am »
Try to obtain a manual for the bike you are restoring. 

Also the best bikes to restore (if you have the money) are Maicos.  There are more parts available reproduction etc than any other brand.  Check the internet.

Like a Manx Norton you can almost build a brand new 1981 490 Maico from brand new parts.  I don't think you can get engine cases or front forks yet but that is about it.

Also don't add up the cost you will never start.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:03 pm »
I would advise do not do step 2 of Nathan's post.... you'll end up watching the Midday Movies or rocking in a chair instead....
If you dont believe me I can email you my spreadsheet of what my 83 KX500 build has (so far) cost ....  :o
But... if I had've "sat down and ran a business case proposal" on it - it would never have started ...

It's funny on Nathans step 5 ... didnt think so at the time but so far as quality of final resto product - I agree....now.

Step 10 from Nathan sums it up for me. Enjoy it ! :)

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »
Nathans step 11 requires a lot of discipline!!!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »
Amen to that.   It's a major trap that I have fallen into.  Love everyone's tips so far  8) 8)

Keep 'em coming.

It's good to have a positive thread on here for a change  ::) ::) ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:03 pm »
Take into account that a sweaty vulgar swearing, tool throwing*,wall beating*, hissy fit is part and parcel of the experience  ;)

*Just don't direct either of those two at any other human or pet. >:(   ever.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Natroy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:58 pm »
A fridge full of cold beer helps with any problem you may have.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 06:19:26 pm »
Try and find a un-busy post office so when your picking up your Ebay stuff your not inline for 20min.
If there is a small post office near by that isnt busy pay for post box and mail your stuff there.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 08:04:30 pm »
Try to obtain a manual for the bike you are restoring. 

Also the best bikes to restore (if you have the money) are Maicos.  There are more parts available reproduction etc than any other brand.  Check the internet.

Like a Manx Norton you can almost build a brand new 1981 490 Maico from brand new parts.  I don't think you can get engine cases or front forks yet but that is about it.

Also don't add up the cost you will never start.

No engine cases isn't a biggie. They start the same with them or not ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 08:33:16 pm »
Make sure its something thats suitable to ride when your finished. What class or type of riding you plan to do..