Author Topic: TM125 sand cast head.  (Read 4991 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
TM125 sand cast head.
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:50:52 am »
For the old school Suzuki experts.
I have a sand cast head and barrel that looks very similar to the stock TM125 bits and always thought it was a race kit TS125 head and barrel.
Does anyone know what they are actualy from? I heard a wisper that they are 1972 RA125.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: TM125 sand cast head.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:41:39 pm »
There was a kit head for the TM which was sandcast. They were quite a bit heavier than stock with a different squish shape.  If it were RA125 I'd assume there would be extra transfer ports lurking in the barrel.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »
TS125 hop up head.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »
There was a kit head for the TM which was sandcast. They were quite a bit heavier than stock with a different squish shape.  If it were RA125 I'd assume there would be extra transfer ports lurking in the barrel.

It is a fair bit heavier with the fins being a bit taller as well. As far as the chamber shape goes it is a bit hard to tell since I welded it up and re-machined it to suit methanol. Barrel appears to be the same porting as a TM just with the sand cast finish. You would think an early RA would have extra tranferes but all the early Suzuki's singles and multies seemed to all have just 1 large transfer either side. Worst thing is I can't even remember where I got them from but I've had them since the 90's. Best go and find the rest of the bike so I can get it together for the weekend practise day, it hasn't been raced for about 10years when it broke a crank.

Pokey. It looks nothing like that.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:35:17 pm »
Wouldn't be the first time on here we have had someone mistaking an optional TM head (std on the M model ) for something special  ;)

How many do you want, I've still got a few  :)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:08 pm »
Not many goodie bits made it to Oz back in the day. Parts were distributed mostly to the US and NZ. in particular a small area near Taupo. ;) . if you do trip over something interesting , unless you can verify its provenance chances are its not as special as your eyes may think, atleast thats the case in Oz. RA stuff just doesnt turn up on fleabay or someones back shed. That said, your parts are still nice bits of kit to have.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »
Wouldn't be the first time on here we have had someone mistaking an optional TM head (std on the M model ) for something special  ;)

How many do you want, I've still got a few  :)

Makes it sound faster if it an optional part. What about the barrel, one thing that makes it stand out is on each corner about 15mm in is a 6mm or so rod cast in joining the fins together. The exhaust port looks a little wider as well. I just had a look in the parts bok and found the optional head but there is nothing on the barrel.

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:45:15 pm »
Stock Ts125  sounds like that so it could be ported or a hop up cylinder, bit hard to tell without a pic

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:34 am »
I'll try and load some pics.

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
That is a TS125 Bore. they can be ported  to be better than the TM.
stock bores usually have lots of casting dags on the ports. look for evidence of this  or rather, lack of dags and sand casting and that will give you a clue on what you have. hard to say if its a stock hop up or just modded without port dimensions.
 Thanks for the pics

the exhaust seams to be wider but again its hard to tell. either Doc or Bill will be able to tell you  if its standard 125 stuff

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:46 am »
It is completly un-molested in the ports other than factory clean up and the port heights are almost identical to the stock TM but the wings on the side of the exhaust port are a little wider. It does look different to your TS125 photo around inlet port with the flange out further and the fin supports missing in the centre above the port.

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:21:34 am »
This is an okay shot of the exhaust port of a stock TS, should be able to gauge from there. 

Your exhaust is also bridged like the TM so it may be a Hop up as stock Ts dont have that