Author Topic: How much 4 a tube fitted ?  (Read 7214 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
How much 4 a tube fitted ?
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »
G'day viewers I've just came home from the motorcycle shop in town. Now I'm just asking out of interest. I dropped a wheel off & asked for a new tube to be fitted. Came back to pick it up after some shopping & $73 later thought maybe I should of done this at home. They kindly taped the rim replaced the rim lock & put a tube in. I'm not sure if this is what is to be expected or I'm just not with the times. The bloke nearly fell over when I said the wheel was off a 1968 Yamaha. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How much 4 a tube fitted ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »
J - I had a new rim made up for my 1980 Honda - did not want to mark the rim and I can't physically do it at the moment so took the tyre, tube and rim lock down to the local Honda store to be fitted - $16.60 - $10 labour, $6.60 detergent

Someone saw you coming.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:51:56 pm »
Gee Ross..I would have done it for you for $30.. :o

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »
I do my own in shop  ;D
It does take some practice at changing tires etc when you first start out , but not that hard .
but if they put in a heavy duty tube say $35.00 and rim lock say $15.00 then rim tape $5.00 then labour $18.00 it doesn't sound so much , when all added up $73.00
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:13:45 pm by mick25 »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:25:36 pm »
I do my own in shop  ;D
It does take some practice at changing tires etc when you first start out , but not that hard .
but if they put in a heavy duty tube say $35.00 and rim lock say $15.00 then rim tape $5.00 then labour $18.00 it doesn't sound so much , when all added up $73.00

And that pretty much sums it up. Parts aren't cheap anymore. Shite, a new tyre, HD tube and rim tape and there isn't much change from $200.....and that's if you do the job yourself.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »
This is why I only use the one shop. What comes around, goes around.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:49:12 pm »
I won't go back I asked the bloke when I dropped it off how much. He said around $45 now $73 is not around $45 I didn't do good at school & I an't doing to good as an adult either lol. Jimson

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
Holy poop on a stick batman. :o

At that price its worth incurring the wrath of mum and pinching a few of her good spoons to do the job.

Last week I bought a new battleaxe road tyre fitted for $150, Sure glad it was tubeless.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:03:08 pm »
I won't go back I asked the bloke when I dropped it off how much. He said around $45 now $73 is not around $45 I didn't do good at school & I an't doing to good as an adult either lol. Jimson

It sounds like a lot, but &45.00 to supply and fit tube isn't a lot. Then extra $28.00 for rim lock and rim tape. I think that probably isn't over the top. Maybe they should have asked before replacing rim lock.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:39 am »
if they didn't do the rim lock the first thing the customer says is "where is the rim lock?"

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:29 am »
Or if the old, worn and rusted rim lock breaks on the first ride there will be hell to pay!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:06 am »
I would’ve gladly paid that yesterday. Scenario as described below:

Young boy arrives at shed to watch father removing tyre from rim. 

Son: “Dad, are you okay? Your face has turned purple”

Father: [Wheezes] “Yes, son. All under control.”

Tools scattered everywhere, dishevelled appearance and tyre lever embedded in father’s forehead belie this, but son doesn’t press the issue. Times passes.

Son: “Dad, are you sure you’re alright? You’re sweating like anything!”

Father: [delirious]“All part of the process, see my perspiration is helping to lubricate the tyre off the rim. All part of the process...”

More time passes. Tyre eventually removed from rim.  Once father has regained consciousness he inspects his work. As he suspected, valve has torn out of tube. No rimlock fitted.

Father: [thinks]” I’ll just grab the spare 18 tube I have. Had. Thought I had...”

There is no spare tube.

Father looks  at ancient 19 inch wheel with rock-hard prehistoric tyre which he forgot to throw in skip. It’s holding air. Tries not to cry in front of son, as he brushes cobwebs from it and picks up tyre levers again.

Begins to repeat performance above.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:45:36 pm »
wd 40 Tex, use it on "Everything" said the barmaid to the bishop.

great little tyre remover and putter backonerer.

only every had one tyre defeat me and that was a new trelleborg 21 inch while I was leading the clubman in the 85 alpine. got a slow impact puncture, found a nice spot after a good river crossing, everything cleaned, flew into the routine, pulled the tube flicked in a newy, still red numbers coming through... popped the air bottle and up it went and straight down it went. Seven f%^$^&n times I tried to get that "coat" back on the rim and after the sweeps turned up I rode it flat back to camp. hurled it as far as I could and fitted a metzler 2 ply.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
My argument is it's a modern world & we all have mobile phones. He said about $45 so when it came to going to cost more. I was a phone call away. Jimson

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:58 pm »
I know a solicitor that charges $50 to ring you if you answer or not. Why should a bike shop not charge you also.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B