Author Topic: SOLD: Suzuki RM250T (1980)  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
SOLD: Suzuki RM250T (1980)
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:38 pm »

********************SOLD**************************

I've decided to sell my 1980 RM250. Here's all the important details.

It's in Canberra. I want $1500 for it as is. I can deliver within an hour of Canberra, otherwise you'll need to arrange transport.  Or you could pick it up in Canberra at the Heaven round in a couple of weeks.

PM me for more info if interested. Not sure the best way to manage the whole process, so will just say the first person to agree to take it and pay for it can have it (assuming anyone DOES want it!!).

Good points.

As far as I can tell, everything is straight and tidy on it. I have been working at the bike off and on for a couple of years now, in fact it's done about 6 hours in my ownership.
Brand new .050 over piston and rings in freshly bored cylinder. Half an hour running in only.
Complete clutch replacement - new basket/primary drive, plates, pushrods, thrust bearing etc.
PFR pipe.
Promax shocks just 1 hour old.
Good chain and sprockets.
Fresh plastics.
Dunlop MX71 front with about 2 hours on it.
Michelin X11 trials on the rear, about 70%.
New air inlet boot and inlet pipe (ie both rubbers).
Front and rear spokes replaced.
Reasonably fresh brake shoes and wheel bearings, plus a fresh set of shoes unused.
I *think* it has a new set of Boyesen reeds in it - I am sure I replaced them but it's not recorded in my logbook.
Shock mounting brackets on swingarm professionally rewelded and braced.
Brand new throttle cable.

The not so good.

It doesn't go. No idea why as I haven't done any investigation. I suspect stuffed main bearings, but could be electrical. It was running fine one second and then wouldn't start after that. I think it could do with a good bottom end rebuild to be safe in any case.
The tank is split, but I have repaired with soldering iron and an expoxy putty.

The interesting.

Setup for dirt track - shocks are 1" shorter than standard plus forks raised in clamps.
Another head, and two cylinders. This is the bike with a weird cylinder/head setup. I eventually gave up on that and installed a stock cylinder and head.
Some spare bits - several pistons of varying use, but low hours for each, original pipe, possibly original front guard and sidecovers, assorted bits and pieces like sprockets etc.

Bear in mind this is a race resto only so while it's pretty clean, it certainly isn't immaculate or a garage queen.

Some history.

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=35363.msg344533#msg344533

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=28818.0

Photos.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:58:23 pm by Graeme M »

Offline Glen08

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM250T (1980)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:59 am »
Message sent ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:47:49 am »
Thanks Glen. Just thought I'd point out I am wanting to reduce the number of bikes in the shed so not really interested in swapping anything for the RM.

Offline Glen08

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:42 am »
 ;)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:26 pm »
What a bargain!  Out of interest, why were the shock mounts relocated?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »
That's a lot of bike for a little money  :)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 02:49:09 pm »
The shock mounts weren't changed. They had cracked over the years so I had them taken off, cleaned and rewelded with extra strength, so should be fine forever. The shocks themselves are shorter than stock as i was setting it up for dirt track.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: SOLD: Suzuki RM250T (1980)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:45:42 pm »
Graeme, just received the bike today... brilliant mate. It’s a lot tidier than mine. Thanks for the painless transactions and great shout out to Shaun who organised the transport.  Great to deal with good people.
Regards

Scott
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:07:14 pm »
That was good timing  ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:46 pm »
Good to hear it got there OK, though with Shaun on the job that was never in doubt. Do post up some photos of it in action once you get it on the track again! It'll be good to see it doing what it should again.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
No Problem Graeme, just need to get my old mate oldfart to impart some of his Suzuki trickery... BTW had a bit of a spill on the weekend, so should have a couple of weeks to get my self organised..

Huh Stew!!  :o
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"