Author Topic: 1968 DT-1  (Read 7575 times)

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 DT-1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:32:21 pm »
Love it, Digga! So much deep info on the actual inventing of DT1. I have often wondered who exactly it was ... and thought it would've been the Japanese.
Thanks Digga ... For posting  :)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »
good link that & will read it closely later. Still got a DT1 [december "68] boss bought it & i ended up with it a couple of owners later [was a mess with bits missing], still a mess but runs as they used to. In my [lack of] wisdom, i tossed the square arm frame because i broke it 'that' many times & of course i wish i hadn't now!!, even had a 360 with RT2MX top end on in the frame for a few years--was good too. Did a few mods that the yanks came up with--damper mods to the front forks [steel slider first forks], Swing/arm mod came later which was add an inch & step it up an inch [desert racing], now days i'd probably step it down an inch to pull the front back. Then some clever guy at work made an airbox with a big capacity between filter & carb [us specs again]. There was a frame mod too which we never did do but think it required cutting the frame & adding say 50mm [guessing] to lower the engine raise the top half depending how you look at it. Rear wheel was missing when i got it & 'do' miss the first wheel as was a quickly detachable wheel where the later ones being all one piece just wear out the hub where the sprocket cush drive runs. Anyway, constant gearbox issues, rounding dogs on 3rd & 5th plus breaking 3rd gear into pieces. One advantage of the first box was the two gears on the main shaft were the same as the two on the lay shaft that they ran against so when dogs got 'dogie' you could swap them over & get the square side driving under power. We tried all the tricks [to 'not' replace bits as expensive back then], shimmed to the max, undercut dogs, even altered the selector slot in the drum to get a deeper engagement--the days of work hardening bronze. Anyway, i've bored you enough--must be more stories out there. Cheers.
 ps, this one had a 'gold' tank originaly & have had a few arguments [discussions] over that as people [here] say the first was white in 'NZ'. December "68 & still have the original ownership papers even though they probably don't relate much to what's left.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:42 pm »
Could you scan and load the ownership papers please, Hilly?  I would love to see them!  :)
Talk about history ...

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »
68 DT1 were white in the original brochure and the 69's were gold (first 125&175 in 69).
eng and frame numbers 68    DT1  00101 to  14090 .     69    DT1  15001 to  42520    also for 69  DT1S  90101 to  91573

[imghttp://][/img]

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:38:59 pm »
I remember building up a Gold tank one for my Dad, in 1975 or there abouts.
Cost about $150, it had already been stripped of all the road gear.

We built a chamber for it, based on the MK4 Pursang pipe, but just a bit fatter and longer.
No Porting, but it actually worked pretty well.

A brand new seat from Yamaha was about $35. New Tank badges $7.50 ea. New 'fuzzy' Air filter about the same.

It already had a 21" front wheel (steel), (NSW ones were 19"?). We fitted 'Pacifico' plastic guards.
Second hand Knobbies ($5 ea)

Front forks were the steel ones, I put them in a lathe and knocked off all the brackets and "skimmed" them down a tiny bit.

Rear shocks were a problem in those days!  Needed a road trip, from Geelong to Melbourne, following up an ad in REV's. 
Bought a set of replacements (Japanese, chrome plated) for $40.

Not too embarrassing as a MX practice bike, and absolutely, totally reliable.  Never touched the engine...ever.

Cheers, DJ

Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:06 pm »
That's opened a can of worms [ownership papers], i'll get wifey onto finding them tomorrow. They 'are' here somewhere. Boss [Tim Gibbes] was in Perth & there's a pic somewhere of Tim on a DT1 & Welshman Randy Owen on a 250 or 360 CZ just doing a demo for the local paper or something--to do with the international MX Tim was organising in oz & nz--anyway, Tim telegram'd back to work saying get me one of these by the time i get home, which happened, race kit & all, & assembled it up for a pretty successful debut. I bought a white tank one after that or in "69 or "70 & brother got a new DT1F in "70 or "71. So far as trail bikes go, that last one was the cream of the crop out of the box as i recal, was the last one before the reed valve DT2 in "72. We only used the "19 front in the DT1 for some silly reason as felt it steered better than the kit "21. Maybe the 21 raked it out a bit too much & maybe the fat "19 added a bit of suspension lol--or not.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
DT1 standard front wheel 19" and I am sure so was the DT1F* and the DT2,   DT3 came out  first with 21" standard.

DT1F* they were like a Datsun 200B  i.e.  A 180B with 20 more mistakes......

Still I do really love the old Yammie 250's ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 10:04:44 am »
I had the 125 AT1 was the best bike I've had you couldn't kill it, well I couldn't rode it to work one day, take the indicators off and tail ride on weekends was brilliant.
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
I loved the design ... especially they way they nailed it straight off.  The Spaniards
would have been shocked.  Not to mention the Brits - with their 'Bushman'.

•  The hinged seat, and trick access to really-well designed airbox
•  The beautiful floating brake-arm and the casting of rear brake hub that accepted it
•  Sexy speedo and tacho (once they were same size)
etc etc etc ... I could go on and on

The achilles heel was worm-actuated clutch-rod pusher.  What a piece of shit

The bikes were so well thought out, that each year very few mods were added.  Move the
ignition key; add a decompressor to the 360; change the paint.

To this day I reckon the gold-tanked DT1 is one of the most beautiful dirt bikes in existence
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:12:57 am by Berwick Boy »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:31 am »
I was working at Bennet Honda in '68, or was it '69 ? one of the lads went out at lunchtime and rode back on a brand new DT1, the Bosses were not impressed !!

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:18:38 am »
From Digga's article link.  Look how artist drew the head!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 11:48:22 am »
The old man bought a brand new superceeded RT 2 from Clipstone Yamaha in North Croydon. We drove up there and the idea was I would ride it home via " the back way" as I was only 16 and unlicensed. I had on my genuine desert boots. Rod wheeled it out of the shop and said " be careful these things kick back" " no worries I said!" I still have a dent in my lower leg to this day! J

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:04 am »
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/gasgirlings/PIC_0191_zpsavoupdde.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y476/gasgirlings/PIC_0192_zpszeace3mq.jpg

Ownership papers with numbers. Looks like i might've been wrong for ummm only 45plus years. After riding this gold tank one in "69 by which time Tim had well worn it--& [selling my metisse [mettise]--another mistake], then falling in love with the DT [despite breaking my leg on it] i them went & bought a 'pearl white one in probably late "69. I wonder now in hind sight if mine was an old stock white one as we were yamaha dealers & i'd be looking for a bargain lol. Were lots of white ones around & we sold a few localy but think Tim's [Gibbes] was the only 'gold' bike i ever saw. Must check my numbers & see if my motor is true to those numbers as she's a bit like an axe with a new head & a new handle!!.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:21:04 pm by OverTheHill »