Author Topic: hl500  (Read 20765 times)

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: hl500
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:24 am »
As much as I love the HL's as my handle suggests and I have a GMC framed example, I would be hunting a nice CCM for that money.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:54 pm »
Grahams bike is a good one - I have followed it once or twice and shall never be the same  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:00:38 pm »
I just love the way it sits down when  he gives it a big handful and throws the contents of the corner at the bike behind!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 07:46:12 pm »
Is this one of those 'what is a genuine HL discussions' as looks like the seller has some issue about the NVT bikes...... I don't think being an early  laid down shock frame kit makes it any more special ( at least not 12000 squid special) than say a later NVT bike, which was actual complete bike. Plus it would look much more pukka in red and white not yellow.

So not my dream HL .... make mine the Pro Tec HL600 or Aberg's 3 valve head bike

formerly Marc.com

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »
Perhaps someone can enlighten me :-\. What's the deal with the insistence on the exhaust exiting on the left hand side of the bike? Everyone seems to go to a lot of trouble getting the exhaust to clear the front guard - why not just bring it out the right hand side? Is this purely an exercise in imitating the aesthetics of the original machine, or is there another reason, like fouling the carbie/airbox? I have a Husky frame and a TT motor (apologies to Big K) but wouldn't mind knowing why before I start.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 05:45:06 pm »
Do it your way Pete, gota love a Rebel!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »

The Pro Tec 600 has exhaust on the right side so you have the option of both versions without a drama... not sure why it is on the left as even on that side you have to fit the airbox in around it
formerly Marc.com

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 07:41:02 pm »

Good onya Mike, I'll do it ;D

The Pro Tec 600 has exhaust on the right side so you have the option of both versions without a drama... not sure why it is on the left as even on that side you have to fit the airbox in around it

Thanks Marc, I guess I should have done some more research...

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
There’s pro’s & con’s to the exhaust on either side.
Inlet on the motor is to the right so carby and airbox are more to the right.
Right hand side the pipe has to sit low to fit under the airbox and then turn upwards as early as possible to clear the tyre at full compression.
Left hand style (which Aberg used) pipe is able to sit higher at the rear as it doesn’t need to fit under the airbox so it exits around the shock higher giving more wheel clearance.
Left hand system has smaller muffler but has tailpipe behind the muffler which helps sound levels.
Right hand system has more room for conventional type muffler.
What ever floats your boat.

78 NVT (UK) models had left hand system
79 NVT (UK) models had right hand system
Early Profabs seemed to have left hand systems
Later Profabs seemed to have righthand systems
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:36 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply Geoff. I now understand the pros and cons of both, and have decided to build a low pipe ;D. Only joking, will probably go with the right hand pipe, or the left hand pipe or toss a coin ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 08:17:10 am »
I would go with whatever way feels comfortable......NVT bike is to the right, GMC hangs to the left and has less bends in it ;)

Finally it is kit bike and that is the joy of it all that no two are the same and there is no real 'right' solution.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:21:47 am by Marc.com »
formerly Marc.com

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:50 am »
Perhaps someone can enlighten me :-\. What's the deal with the insistence on the exhaust exiting on the left hand side of the bike? Everyone seems to go to a lot of trouble getting the exhaust to clear the front guard - why not just bring it out the right hand side? Is this purely an exercise in imitating the aesthetics of the original machine, or is there another reason, like fouling the carbie/airbox? I have a Husky frame and a TT motor (apologies to Big K) but wouldn't mind knowing why before I start.

Don't worry about BigK Pete. He'll eventually realise that those sewing machines he so fervently defends are much better with a big Jap thumper in the frame. Apart from offending Mick, I'm sure that whatever you build will be one very well put together machine.
Personally, I'd go with the right exit pipe simply because of the less bends needed.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 02:46:33 pm »
I would go with whatever way feels comfortable......NVT bike is to the right, GMC hangs to the left and has less bends in it ;)

Finally it is kit bike and that is the joy of it all that no two are the same and there is no real 'right' solution.

Thanks for digging those photos out Marc. You're right about no real right solution, it just had me wondering. Geoff's pipe looks so good, but the other one tucks in nicely as well.

Don't worry about BigK Pete. He'll eventually realise that those sewing machines he so fervently defends are much better with a big Jap thumper in the frame. Apart from offending Mick, I'm sure that whatever you build will be one very well put together machine.
Personally, I'd go with the right exit pipe simply because of the less bends needed.

Well Mark, I didn't break up a bike to get the frame, so hopefully BigK will take that into account ;D. I will probably go with the right hand side, a la B50. Might even graft an XL500 head on and go with a pipe each side ::)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 03:53:20 pm »
You have a fixation with pipes. I stopped short of saying fetish ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B