Author Topic: Trailer advice  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Broad-Arrow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Trailer advice
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
Hi

I'm in the market for a trailer to serve two purposes - haul two VMX bikes around and when not doing that, being used for general use (garden waste removal, moving stuff etc).

At this stage I have zeroed in on either a single axle 8x5 or 7x5 with high sides.  Will the 7 foot length accommodate dirt bikes from VMX to modern (the bike bug has bitten hard again, so I may end up buying a new KTM or something)? Or should I go for the extra foot?  What type of inserts should I use to stabilise the front wheels during transport (something that can be easily fitted and removed when I need to use the trailer for other purposes)?  What do you recommend with regard to a ramp (I was thinking a folding aluminium ramp - any recommendations in terms of brands)? Any other advice regarding a dual use trailer purchase would be most welcome. 

Finally, I'm looking at buying a  new trailer, but if anyone has an excellent condition used trailer around Canberra region then let me know.

TIA.

cheers, Ken
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:53:00 am by Broad-Arrow »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer advice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:28:29 pm »
7x5 bolt channel to the floor for the front wheels
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:03:25 pm »
ol mate had a 7x5 with a 3 piece front wheel bracket that slotted into some holes so he could easily convert from general trailer to bike trailer in 2 mins

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »
ol mate had a 7x5 with a 3 piece front wheel bracket that slotted into some holes so he could easily convert from general trailer to bike trailer in 2 mins

That's the go, saves the nut and bolt gig.

Ken, this is what a young bloke down the road has. His needs are as yours.
I have seen him rip the dump and furniture cage sections off in a few seconds with a rubber hammer too.

One of things I will never have again is a NON-GALVANISED box trailer.
The rot sets into painted box trailers very quickly, no matter what. The one above is only a couple of years old and well on its way.
8 x 5 trailers aren't much dearer given that sheet stock sises comes in 8 x 4 to start with.
Make sure its draw bar is an A frame long enough to fit one of those large aluminum boxes to.
In NSW if the empty unladen tare weight is under 250kg then your yearly rego fee is only $60, but the moment it goes over 250kg it jumps to $160, even if it is still a 750kg gross with-out brakes.

So now a combination of Galvanized Aluminum trailer under 250 tare will pan out to be a great investment and they are not very dear either and plenty of local manufactures to choose from these days.
Maybe a couple of jerry-can holders to, one for water and one for fuel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=66468&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xaluminim+box+trailer.TRS0&_nkw=aluminim+box+trailer&ghostText=&_sacat=66468

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:38:10 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »
look at a machinery (rider mower type) trailer if $$ are no issue and just make up a cage for it for rubbish and a set of bike adaptors as well. great to have a nice spring loaded ramp at the end of a tough days riding :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:35 pm »
Yes there are some good ones like that around too.
It makes sense to by one that is matched to the hubs and wheels to your tow vehicle as well.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:38:21 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:45 pm »
I bought an 8/5 trailer and fitted a "bike Vice" from Smart Arse Designs - worked perfect for me - comfortably fit 3 bikes and all the gear in it - single axle.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Broad-Arrow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.  Very useful advice.

Thanks Mick for the advice regarding tare weight, I was not aware of that.

Funnily enough I have had experience with a converted "plant trailer" into a bike trailer (I hired a trailer that had this done).  The problem with this approach is plant/machinery trailers are very heavy and the ramp catches the wind on the freeway (dramatically increases fuel consumption).

I would like to get a ute, but it's difficult to find a nice one with a bench seat (a 69 El Camino would be ideal…).  Back in the day (when I had hair on my head instead of in my ears) I drove an XC Ford ute….

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:46:27 pm by Broad-Arrow »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »
you need at least 8 x 5. I sold my 7 x 5 - not big enough
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:21:37 pm »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
I still drive a 77 Holden HZ one tonner..... :-\ ;) Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.