Author Topic: dt400 now on the road  (Read 8982 times)

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
dt400 now on the road
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »
Well I got my dt400 bike full road rego last week and yesterday went for a blast with friends..odd combination rs125, moto guzzi v65 rz350 and me dt400..firstly I will start by saying yes I know its aplication is not a road bike..but... it did pretty well..did about 200kms of country roads fuel was about 10ltrs per 100..I spent most of the time at about 100kpr with blasts up to 130 and lots of wheel stands..and seemed pretty happy..altho vibes were getting a bit much at sustained high revs .the vibes were only noticable in the handle bars every where else it was fine..any tricks too limit this..?note front forks are dt200 ie no rubber mounted bushes..also the modified underslug exhaust altho performed well did not fair too well braizing did not hold up all that well  to the vibes and the welded muffler fell off lol..so im still lookin for a pipe option..will a dt360/ rt1 high side pipe work..as I like the look and tidy lines..any way it was great fun even if not really suited to that kinda ridding how ever around the street its fantastic vry fun cant wait to get on some dirt..

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: dt400 now on the road
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:01:56 pm »
Add some bar end weights to help damp the vibes. Put in some proper heavy ones, not the dinky alloy type.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »
Alloy bars help take the edge off the vibes.
Fatbars do it slightly better.
Those old Reikon 7/8" alloy bar without a crossbrace are even better, if you can find a pair.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »
So flat alloy bars with bar weights..? I have also heard of sand in the bars as well? Thanks

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:03:46 pm »
Not flat - FAT!  :D  Adding sand would work too.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »
If you are going to use it mostly on the road, fit some rubber mounted top triple clamps. And, use bar end weights.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »
Oh yes fat..lol..does the cross brace which is clamped to bars..welded on  older ones also asist against vibes..I assumed it was for strength on jumps and a place to put a pad .

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:58:34 pm »
first thought is are the engine mount bolts super tight or oversize them to 3/8 high tensile & do em up damn tight. Top rear might be rubber mounted anyway so may no be able to oversize it.  So far as pipe goes the frame set up will be quite different to an RT1/2/3 but might be similar to DT360A/B or best still just get a good second hand original pipe & muffler [if any out there] or has the motor been modded & needs a better pipe!!. Top steering yoke [triple clamp] with rubber bar mounts & don't bolt them up 'too solid'. Motor mounts are first thought though. Cheers.

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:12:59 pm »
Thanks guys..the engine has been ported and running pod filter and jetted..that was part of yesterdays ride the bike runs very well it pulls like a train..right of the throttle.I was keeping with my mate on his athena400 bigbore rz350 till 4th gear..vibes around town are ok..it was just at high sustained revs..still pretty unbearable for any period of time..ill try all the things mentioned .As for the pipe usually I would have one made to suit..I called GMC But they need the bike to  make a pipe im in newcastle nsw im happy with the performance of the pipe just not the look and bad job I did of fitting it..Even if it was just the rear half redone..the stock 250 pipe also looks the same. Is there any difference in dimentions..

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:05:24 am »
See your local YAMAHA dealer, he knows plenty about the DT and Lozza from Mayfield can sort the pipe for you

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 10:26:37 am »
Yeah I know lozza really knows his stuff and a nice guy and im sure he could sort me out.he has helped me out in the past.but he always has soo much on..I think the waiting list would be a lil long, back to the rt1 pipe..I know that if wont fit straight off..but would it work,,they are piston port engine arnt they ,

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 03:22:34 pm »
The only thing an rt pipe is good for is to stop the front tyre getting oily and burnt , rt1 piston port rt2/3 reed valve.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »
Fair enough thanks guys for your input..I spoke to GMC again today,, very helpful..maybe able to work somethin out pipe wise

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »
Geoff will not only make you a pipe that looks trick, but you will get exactly what you want. And it will work.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:44 pm »
I agree totally.. just a bit tricky as he really would prefer the bike there to fit it..and im in anothr state..ill work it out