Author Topic: The future of OzVMX  (Read 22940 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
The future of OzVMX
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
As some of you know, I've been running the OzVMX forum for over 10 years. That's a long time and it has succeeded and grown far more than I ever imagined it would. Which is great. However, one aspect of the forum that has always consumed a lot of time, effort and careful judgement is moderation. When I began OzVMX, I had the view that as long as discussions didn't end up in the gutter, pretty much anything was open to debate and I felt that very robust discussion was fine.

Well, over the years this hasn't always worked. I've been threatened with litigation, had threats made against me, had to adjudicate all sorts of weird disputes and had many many phone calls, messages and emails about matters on the forum.

A couple of years ago when a few members became regularly abusive of others, I eventually had to apply stricter moderation, provide some guidelines to forum use, and ban a couple of people. This was in response to a torrent of complaint and dissatisfaction from many members. We even lost a few of the stalwarts of the forum over this.

In recent times, the debates about vintage racing rules, administration by MA etc and endless discussions about class structures and so on have become a rather prominent feature of the forum. My time and effort to manage the forum has been growing substantially and I am seeing a similar sentiment being expressed about the general tone of the place.

These days, I am no longer an active VMX competitor. I still enjoy the old bikes, like to hear and read about vintage, and I still have a couple of 1980 models in the back shed. But, my real passion for now is modern dirt track racing. I just don't have the time or desire to put a lot into OzVMX.

And to be honest, I'm a bit over it.

Now, the ongoing saga of rules and MA and so on has sapped my desire to continue. So, I've spent the past couple of days considering next steps. My inclination was to close it down. After all, Facebook does a great job of doing the same sort of thing. I know a lot of people still enjoy the forum, but many have told me that its negativity, the infighting, and the arguments about eligibility annoy them.

I can see where they are coming from.

So....  Have we reached the end of the line for OzVMX? No, I don't think so, I think it still has a place and I still have enough enthusiasm to try reinvent it to an extent. I have decided to keep the thing open for the near future at least. I'm gonna take it back to its roots. When I started the forum, it was meant to fill the gap left by the loss of Ray Ryan and VMX Magazine. His philosophy was simple - Same Old Dirt, Same Old Fun. Today, Ken Smith and crew run VMX Magazine true to that philosophy. And I think that's what we need to take the forum back to.

Now, I agree that many of the concerns and contentious issues that have been raised are valid and deserving of discussion and resolution and so on. But from here on in, you'll have to find somewhere else to do that. I'm not doing this to run away from the problems or to fold to pressure from MA or anything like that. It's just to firstly make my job of keeping things on track easier and more pleasant, and secondly to make the forum a place of positive energy.

From here on in, the forum is meant to be above all, fun. And in the course of that, informative, inclusive, positive, supportive and generally uplifting. Get where I am coming from?

So please, no more comments or posts about MA, eligibility (other than to ask for guidance), rules, or personal sledging of any person or club or organisation.

I will moderate with a heavy hand, and believe me if it becomes too hard to do that, I will close it down. Not a threat - just a fact of life. I don't need the stress of it all.

So over to you all, enjoy OzVMX but please, keep it civil and keep it fun. Oh, and I will be deleting the Administration of Competition board - that sort of discussion is what I want to avoid from now on.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The future of OzVMX
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
Thanks mate this is the best topic Ive read , I know a few of the other older members will agree . Iain looking for the like button .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
I respect your position.
Ultimately, it's probably a good thing for the sport, because the issues will be addressed through the MA processes rather than being discussed as nauseum here...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:08 PM »
Far too many angry people in this world, some have made their way onto this forum.Great to see someone in power taking a stand.Dirt bikes should be FUN. thats why vinduro is growing.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:30:36 PM »
smart move :)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:35 PM »
   Well said Graeme  lets hope it makes for Forum that we can all join in without all of the crap..that's gone on Thanks Mate..

The Stig

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »
I'm very grateful for and amazed at the time you have put into this site for all these years.

You've lasted a lot longer than I would have

Thanks

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 11:37:45 PM »
Let just keep Suzuki and Bike/Tech Talk section  :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:44 AM »
If you do decide to delete it all, please give us several months notice so we can collect and save all the info we want. I know i find myself still reading stuff from 08/09 and looking up stuff i know was posted on here years ago.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »
I have always found the politics a bit on the nose and tend to stay away from it all.  I joined the forum to share rebuild idea's, tech talk and the like.  But Graeme, are you the only moderator?  It must be a drag... why not slowly hand the reigns over to some other long term members that have Ozvmx in everyones best interests.  No need to shut shop.  There are members from around the globe that rely  on this forum for tech info, guidance, help, pics, updates and what not.  Most forums have a heap of moderators to keep it within guidelines.  Just lessen the burden on yourself and put a team together to share responsibility and work load.
All the best,
Alex

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »
If I were to close the forum, I would of course leave it visible for some time.

Moderation...  I have tried that in the past and it does help, but I still had to step in to assist with things, or clarify for the mods etc.  I've also tried a couple of times to find someone else to take it over but no-one was very keen!

I think it'll be OK if we drop all the politics stuff. The steps last time to take care of the disrespect and rudeness worked quite well, so I imagine the same will happen with this.

By the way, I think that things aren't looking too bright for the Ning mob, so the http://www.ozvmx.com/ site may end up disappearing one of these days...  I'm not saying it will, just that I am hearing some rumblings about it all.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:59:54 AM »
i had no idea of the shit that was happening behind the scenes

To those that have Rang, threatened law suits, verbal abuse of Graeme should buy a full length mirror and have a good look at themselves. for forks sake this is a hobby and he was doing this as a volunteer, we all have other commitments in life as who needs this type of shit for a hobby.

Really, why...........hang your heads in shame ! silly people its a discussion group, would you take the same action in a pub?  >:(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:02:13 AM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Hoony. Bear in mind this is over the course of 10 years - the overall feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Most people are complimentary of my efforts and supportive if I get it wrong. But there have been some interesting moments for sure. And this latest round of discussions about MA and rules has added to my workload and caused me a few sleepless nights as I try to figure out how to handle sensitivities.

I'm not whinging, just saying I want an easier job. Plus I'd like to answer the concerns of those who feel the forum is too full of crap these days. I think a lot of the crap is valid and worth discussing but I am just thinking I'd rather that happened elsewhere...

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
Excellent ! So politics, posturing and backstabbing will get fired straight into the dumbgeon !

Great move, mate, you are a patient man but some people just can't take a hint.   8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
Well said Graham. Tere are lots who would come back to the forum if it was what it was ment to be and started as.Thank you for your persaverance.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina