Author Topic: Now what!!!  (Read 3403 times)

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
Now what!!!
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:17:11 am »
I got a pair of genuine Suzuki swing arm bearings for my C2 today. Great! When I removed the old bearings I heated the swing arm and drove them out with a drift. They came out somewhat easily but it still took some light pounding.

The bearings I got today (09263-22027) just drop right in the swing arm bore. The listed dimensions are 23x28.8x16 and these measure exactly that. When I say drop right in, there is no resistance and I can push them all the way down to where the bore gets smaller, roughly an inch or so down in the swing arm.

Just loosely putting the spacers together it seems like the bearings would work but it just doesn't seem right.

The old bearings were right out even with the end of the bore, these would be down in there a bit before they would be tight and I think that would be more from corrosion farther down in the bore. The outer part of the bearing bore is round, I measured from 4-5 different locations around the hole and it was the same each time.

Any one else have this happen?
RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Now what!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:04:40 am »
They should be an interference fit flush with the outer edge. The inner bushes and spacer tube shouldn't permit any different when assembled. Being a C2 I expect it has the alloy swingarm, It could be possible  'if the old bearings were really flogged out'  the bearing recess has flared. Is it only on one side or both? Normally the left side cops the most abuse.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:08:59 am »
Those alloy arms where the bushes go tend to elongate especially on the chain [drive] side. I have new tubes made up, cut the old one off and weld the new one on [lined up in a jig]. The 125 arms and 250/400 arms are the same width, just a different internal size for the bigger brg on the 250/400.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:41:25 am »
Find someone near to you that can measure the holes in the arm with a telescopic gauge and micrometer. The holes should be the size bang on the MM size of the listed OD of the bearing, the OD of the drawn cup bearing will be about .05mm bigger. Come back on here with the measurments and more advise will come your way.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »
I know i'm stating the obvious here, but did you clean everything up and then try the old bearings back in there?  Now that everything is clean, is there an interference fit with the old bearings.  If there is, can you get the numbers from them and then get new ones based on that.  If the old ones (once cleaned up) just slip in, then you will no doubt have to follow some of the advice on here... and also here.. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/887190-swingarm-reapir/
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 04:58:53 pm »
 78RM 250 and RM 400 share the same spacer?? that goes inside the bearing, but RM 400 bearing is 22x29x20 so I may just guess that your C2 mayhave RM 400 swing arm.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:14:47 pm by Tomas »

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 06:25:44 pm »
78RM 250 and RM 400 share the same spacer?? that goes inside the bearing, but RM 400 bearing is 22x29x20 so I may just guess that your C2 mayhave RM 400 swing arm.

Very good possibility you are on the money Tomas ;)

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:08:28 pm »
Doc .... you and I discussed this many moons ago. what was The bearing number we ended up using ???
TA 2820 comes to mind ... but that measures  22-28 -20.5 
I have it all written down in a book ..... but it eludes me at this stage

Offline vlxk

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
The spacers fit the inside of the bearings like they should. By the posts above the RM400 bearing internal dimension is smaller, the outside is the same as the RM250 but the length is 4mm longer.

I can deal with the increased overall length, but the inside dimension wouldn't work with the spacers from the RM250 would they?
RM250C2
Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time