Author Topic: 2-stroke piston window, rear boost port.  (Read 46017 times)

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
Re: 2-stroke piston window, rear boost port.
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 08:36:20 am »

Any-one who would like to read what Emeritus Professor Gordon P. Blair's thoughts on how 2-Stroke engines work, might like to download this:-

http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/2StrokeDesign.pdf

Cheers, DJ
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 09:19:59 am »
Interesting reading guys with a lot of differing points on how the 2 smokers work.

As Pokey said, a 2 stroke will not run properly with buggered crank seals. In some cases, like a rooted gear side crank seal, the motor won't run at all. It will fire, but will not run as there is no crank case pressure to help get fuel to the cylinder. Conversely, a leaking ignition side seal will make the Air/Fuel mixture way too lean and the engine will run erratic with no top end power at all.
There MUST be some positive pressure in the crank case or there would be no need for pressure type seals because the piston and pipe would be scavenging the fuel/air mix faster than any pressure build up. There also MUST be negative pressure in order for vacuum to take effect to enable more Air/Fuel mixture to be dragged into the crank case.
Therefore, the theory of having the boost port window on the piston is sound to my way of thinking. It has to help drag more Air/Fuel mixture into the cases, thereby helping with not only more fuel into the cylinder, but also keep the piston crown cooler through there being more mixture in the case.
That's my take on it anyway.
When all else fails...... get a 4 stroke  ;D
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 11:10:48 am »
Therefore, the theory of having the boost port window on the piston is sound to my way of thinking. It has to help drag more Air/Fuel mixture into the cases, thereby helping with not only more fuel into the cylinder, but also keep the piston crown cooler through there being more mixture in the case.
That's my take on it anyway.
When all else fails...... get a 4 stroke  ;D

That makes much more sense to me. In Johns initial post, he said he cut the hole in the piston to allow hot gasses from under the crown to escape OUT the window, that seemed to me to "go against the flow"
That combined with gasses escaping out the window on a descending piston would reduce any pressure created in the crankcase to assist with delivering the fuel charge to its ultimate demise in the combustion chamber.
Scratching my bald head I was....

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »
This is from the DYNOmite Forum.  They make engine transducer and data recording kits.

I suspect that they know more than just a little bit about these measurements!
The coloured and resized text is my work.

Link here: http://forums.land-and-sea.com/showthread.php?t=64

2-stroke crankcase pressures
 07-05-2005, 08:49 AM
    Tech 
Land & Sea Engineering       Join Date: Mar 2004

Re: 2-stroke crankcase pressures
1) If you are trying to map the cyclical crankcase pressure changes that occur during each revolution of the crankshaft, you need more than just your sensor. This requires the same type of equipment and software Option Pack as combustion chamber pressuring mapping.

Our DYNOmite-Pro boards collect data at either 200 Hertz or 1,000 Hz (in USB mode). This is ideal for traditional dynomometer testing - where you are collecting data on Hp, Torque, RPM, fuel flow, etc. But, to map what goes on during a single revolution of the engine, you'll need individual data readings taken consecutively at each degree of crankshaft rotation. At high (two-cycle range) RPM's we are talking about board sets that can handle over 100,000 Hertz - like the 500,000 Hz board found in our Combustion Pressuring Mapping Kit.

You also need an encoder that provides an index for each pressure reading (to the exact degree position of the crankshaft when that data is captured). Again, the encoder in the Combustion Pressuring Mapping Kit is appropriate.
Note: It's mounting (which is designed for an automotive crankshaft dampener) would have to be custom adapted to your magneto housing.

Lastly, you will want to custom order the kit with a much lower range pressure transducer. Instead of the normal 2,000 PSI range, you will want one that is appropriate for the -14 to +30 PSI readings of a normally aspirated two-stroke's crankcase.

2) If instead all you want is to monitor the average crankcase pressure (a relatively low positive number), then your existing sensor can do that. However, you can not just screw the sensor into the crankcase. Those erratic readings are caused by the arbitrary synchronization aliasing) between your DYNOmite's 200 Hz sampling rate and the position of your engine's crankshaft. You're never taking the pressure readings at the same index twice.

Instead, plumb it to your engine's crankcase using a restricted dampening orifice. A hose with about a 0.030" fuel jet stuck in it works well as the orifice. Also, put a small dampening chamber (plenum) between the orifice and your pressure sensor. A small in-line fuel filter makes a convenient chamber. Once your have the restrictor and plenum in place I think you will find your erratic readings cured.

Note: We recommend that the pressure sensor be oriented so any residual fuel droplets will gravity drain back into the plenum and crankcase between tests. That greatly extends the sensor's life.

Pity old mate didn't stick a transducer in the transfer duct and the cylinder, with a 360 tooth wheel and an encoder to graph crank degrees all at the same time. That would have showed the pressure in the transfer duct highest AFTER the transfer port opens. Which is still higher than the crankcase.

Any-one who would like to read what Emeritus Professor Gordon P. Blair's thoughts on how 2-Stroke engines work, might like to download this:-

http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/2StrokeDesign.pdf

Cheers, DJ

That book isn't about how a engine works it's more about mathmatical models and making test rigs to prove the model. I can post plenty of screen grabs from simulators (loosely) based on Blairs work.
Lozza , YOUR THEORY says its impossible for the engine to start without the pipe.
 Because you state that " ALL the work is done by the pipe at BDC "
 if you had said "SOME of the work is done by pipe at BDC" or even "MOST of the work is done by the pipe at BDC" then it would still be  possible for the engine to run without the pipe.
 But if the pipe is doing "ALL the work" then surely the engine cant run without the exhaust fitted,
because you also state that " there is never going to be high enough pressure in the crankcase  to push intake out of the transfers"
without the pipe fitted how then does any air/fuel get into the cylinder if its not from crankcase compression ?

Without the pipe you have a greater cylinder purity ie no exhaust gas to mix with the fresh charge, the piston going up and down, the rod and crank shaft spinning together with the crankcase getting filled with dense inake charge each time the piston goes up will create enough turbulence to get fresh charge into the cylinder.
If you look at say a DT 175 cylinder how does all that black carbon get into the transfer ducts? On rgv engines it is possible to see carbon shadow of the C or boost port duct on the reed stops.
This isn't my theory at all first person to highlight this to me was Wayne "Wobbly" Wright from NZ, as confirmed by Jan Thiel, Frits Overmars and the late Calvin Pollet of aftermarket CPI Banshee cylinder fame. Again plain to see on even the most basic engine simulator.

Twin, triples and inline 4 cylinder engines have labryinth seals on the crankshaft between the webs that bleed off and allow pressure to pass either way (decreasing as it passes) they seem to run just fine  ;)

The window is to allow cool gas out from under the piston
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:43 pm »
Lozza.
I'm not going to go into this anymore as you are clearly talking around in circles contradicting yourself along the way.

I will point out a fact about labryinth seals as you have obviously never seen one in real life. They are a very close fitting to the the main shaft of the crank with radial groves on the inside. There is a very small amout of mixture that leaks from crankcase to crankase but it is such small amount there is no effect in a running engine.
Just thought I'd point that out as your computer simulation may not tell you that.

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 08:16:30 pm »

Without the pipe you have a greater cylinder purity ie no exhaust gas to mix with the fresh charge,

One quick negative sound wave, back into in the cylinder. No extended extraction from a diffuser cone, to get residual gas out.

the piston going up and down, the rod and crank shaft spinning together with the crankcase getting filled with dense inake charge each time the piston goes up will create enough turbulence to get fresh charge into the cylinder.

Without the heat & pressure of combustion, the charge in the cylinder is compressed & decompressed and goes nowhere.
Without discharge from the crankcase to the cylinder, the charge in the crankcase is compressed & decompressed and goes nowhere

If you look at say a DT 175 cylinder how does all that black carbon get into the transfer ducts? On rgv engines it is possible to see carbon shadow of the C or boost port duct on the reed stops.

Two examples of bikes with exhaust gas reversion problems, do not support the case for "Case Pressure Always Less than Cylinder Pressure".

DT175's have marginal exhausts and excessive silencing, they generally ridden by riders who would be unlikely to remain in the power band for any length of time.

The RGV had an effective power band between 8,000 - 11,000 RPM and top speed of 209 kph.
They need to be ridden at 152kph just to touch 8,000 RPM.  Most road ridden ones would rarely achieve that.

My old Pursang has never shown any signs of carbon in the transfers in the 35 years I have owned and raced it.

This isn't my theory at all first person to highlight this to me was Wayne "Wobbly" Wright from NZ, as confirmed by Jan Thiel, Frits Overmars and the late Calvin Pollet of aftermarket CPI Banshee cylinder fame. Again plain to see on even the most basic engine simulator.

Twin, triples and inline 4 cylinder engines have labryinth seals on the crankshaft between the webs that bleed off and allow pressure to pass either way (decreasing as it passes) they seem to run just fine  ;)

The -14 to +30psi pressure fluctuations in the crankcase take around 0.006 secs @ 10,000 RPM.  The spirals of the labyrinth are there to increase the distance so escaping gas will stop, and come back, before it gets out. 

The window is to allow cool gas out from under the piston[/quote]

Sure, Gas that has been in contact with the underside of the piston, is obviously cooler than the fresh charge ???
Particularly if, as claimed, it's there for 15 revolutions

Like Sleepy.. I'm done with this too.    Life's too short, I'm happy to agree to disagree with this interpretation of some-one else's theory.

Cheers DJ
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »

Lozza , YOUR THEORY says its impossible for the engine to start without the pipe.
 Because you state that " ALL the work is done by the pipe at BDC "
 if you had said "SOME of the work is done by pipe at BDC" or even "MOST of the work is done by the pipe at BDC" then it would still be  possible for the engine to run without the pipe.
 But if the pipe is doing "ALL the work" then surely the engine cant run without the exhaust fitted,
because you also state that " there is never going to be high enough pressure in the crankcase  to push intake out of the transfers"
without the pipe fitted how then does any air/fuel get into the cylinder if its not from crankcase compression ?
[/quote]

Without the pipe you have a greater cylinder purity ie no exhaust gas to mix with the fresh charge, the piston going up and down, the rod and crank shaft spinning together with the crankcase getting filled with dense inake charge each time the piston goes up will create enough turbulence to get fresh charge into the cylinder.

What you call "Turbulence",  99% of other people call this "Crankcase Compression"

had a look at the DT175 cylinder, there is no carbon in the transfers.

You keep name dropping Jan Theil, Fritz Overmars , etc. etc. etc. etc.    but I have never read anything by these people where they deny that Crankcase Compression exists.
 In fact I was reading an article the other day by Jan Theil where he was discussing "Crankcase Compression Ratios."

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2015, 07:05:01 pm »
Well now I have the carburation operating cleanly; no rich blubber, no lean ping anywhere through the various circuits, I am finding the combustion temps are too cool, ha go figure!  :-)  So I have dropped from the stock NGK '8' plug to a '7'; was running a '9' when I had the part-throttle pinging (which wasn't helping).  Getting a much cleaner, dryer burn in the combustion chamber now.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:29 pm »
Tried dropping the needle or 1 size less on the main?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
Hi John,

Did you do the holes in the piston? Where is your carby up to re settings and mods etc, do you still have the tube on the pilot tube where the jet goes?

The only thing I am aware of re holes in pistons, is YZ 490 does not have them, and IT490 does.

Cheers
Kim :D

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:42 am »
Well now I have the carburation operating cleanly; no rich blubber, no lean ping anywhere through the various circuits, I am finding the combustion temps are too cool, ha go figure!  :-)  So I have dropped from the stock NGK '8' plug to a '7'; was running a '9' when I had the part-throttle pinging (which wasn't helping).  Getting a much cleaner, dryer burn in the combustion chamber now.
Pretty much proves the theory of cooling the underside of the piston crown. Now you can bump up the compression ratio a little and go back to the 8 plug. That will be just the ticket more power for the weak CR500!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »
Hmmm just went testing today, man that thing has some power !!!!!  Trenches everywhere.

If I bump up the compression any more I would not be able to kick it over, plus that crankcases might break?

I've ground in some exhaust bleed ramps as per the later CR500's, it has helped with kick starting but not lost any punch (well not that I can feel!).

Lozza, the needle is full lean clip now, plus once I get off the straight section of the needle (1/4 throttle onwards) I feel it is very clean.  The black plug colour is on the pilot jet/straight section of the needle, it is now running sweet with virtually no ping.

The pilot jet is down from a 68 to a 50.

Might even go back to a '6' plug?!!!

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »
Hi John,

Did you do the holes in the piston? Where is your carby up to re settings and mods etc, do you still have the tube on the pilot tube where the jet goes?

The only thing I am aware of re holes in pistons, is YZ 490 does not have them, and IT490 does.

Cheers
Kim :D

G'day Kim  :-)

For sure the hole in the piston has cooled combustion chamber temps.  I haven't even fitted my airscoops back on yet.

Not sure if my jetting specs would work for anyone else but I'll list all that I have done ....

Cyl head squishband narrowed to 14mm wide.
Cyl head mating surface machined .7mm
Dual stage Boyeson reeds (will be replacing them with my own cut-out full carbon reeds down the track).
Reed cage has 4 bridges cut out, just left the centre bridge top & bottom for reed support.
Main jet: 165
Needle: DEF
Pilot jet: 50
Air screw 1 1/2 turns.
DG pipe & muffler.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:02 pm »
Picking-up fuel from the bottom of the fuel bowl initially cut my part throttle ping by 50%, the needle cleaned-up the rest.

The only problem is, drawing fuel from the bottom of the bowl means ANY crap in there WILL block the pilot jet.

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 09:54:31 pm »
Thanks John,

Sounds like you are making real progress mate that I am sure many other big bore owners will be learning from and applying your research and learning's to their bikes, I certainly will to my YZ490...yes yes  I know, its a 490...

Cheers John,
Kim