Author Topic: Need a new project  (Read 9784 times)

firko

Re: Need a new project
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 05:20:57 pm »
Freaky...What's going on? This above post is articulate, grammatically correct and not riddled with grade six standard spelling. There's now no excuses for poorly thought out discussion and bad spelling and grammar now that you've proved you can do it correctly.
On second thought, I reckon you got your missus to write it for you.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 05:24:23 pm »
he has hired a pr man  ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 06:14:43 pm »
na i had a slack day at work and i though this post was interesting enough to put the effort in and i was interested in.

Often It really depends where i am when im typing, when im Busy at work or at home I cant be F'd, most times, as i figure most of you chaps skim this sort of stuff any way with a MEh ....attitude.

aS FAR AS THE ORIGIAL POST THOUGH GOES - depending on the track ( most of which in Au are short track, you could go for any number of 2 smokers or 4 strokes.  Size means nothing, you need to be able to ride whatever you build/buy flat out and get it all to the ground, spinning it out in the corners wont help you, speedway guys will tell you, you never button off a slider or your in the wall or flipped on your face, so what ever you choose make sure you can ride it out of trouble, if you need to have a 4 banger, why not a XL 350 cheap as shit to get hold off and easy to hold flat nacker, keep looking for somthing you can get parts for, reliable, you can fix yourself, you understand, you like and above all you can confidently ride at 110%, when you see it buy it and enjoy it, if you ever out grow it then move up if you feel you need to, but like most of us old guys youll probally end up in a few years with a 250, then down to a 125cc, because you can still get the exsileration of ringing there little necks flat out neck without wetting your pants  :o  just ask the Zooki boys, they swear buy little bikes for fun value.

I think you need to lose the bold typing though Firko :O)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:12:45 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 06:54:43 pm »
go the xt 500 find a slider frame and have fun frightening the young blokes on 4 valve lay downs into the first corner great fun!  cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:47 pm »
I was also impressed Freaky, what a pleasure. Re Firko's bold, I like it. As the elder statesman of the forum, I think it's entirely appropriate.

As for question about Yank Vs Oz flat trackers, I do recall reading that the MXers we favoured in Australia just wouldn't hook up on the American tracks which as Freaky noted are often very hard. While sliders were always impressive to watch on the Aussie Dirt Tracks, for me the high spot was the early-mid 80s when we had  all those luvverly 250/500 MXers lowered with big fat rims and wet weather tyres. They just looked so tuff. Days when we had people racing like Foreman, Goddard, Caslick, Connell, Armstrong etc. I have a bunch of slides I took at the Maryborough 3-hour one year, I'll have to try to scan them in some time and share them.

Husados

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 08:08:55 pm »
Freakshow
Great information thanks mate

Your right i does not matter what size bike you run
as i have just started dirt track racing on my late model 550cc 4t..
This will make you guys happy! I had a really hard time only just beating a 250 elsie on menthanol.
In the over 30,s class.  Man that thing was quick

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:13:06 pm by Husados »

firko

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:49 pm »
Elder? For sure, I am getting old, but I'm no statesman!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 06:49:34 am »
OK...

As maybe the most knowledgeable, widely read, cranky old bastard on the forum, you should be entitled to use bold. How's that?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 12:36:43 pm »
yep id agree with  'cranky old bastard '............ hehehe

there is a xt 500 on ebay at the moment, cheap progect bike think it was $300, looks in good condition, make your own seat.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:06 pm »
What's so funny Freaky? I'm not really cranky you know, I suffer with a low dickhead tolerance.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 01:24:27 pm »
maybe not so much Tolerance level, but seen you have a few bad hair days on here.    :O0

Talking of all things flat, i got a trackmaster frame i have been pissing about with ATM, and was going to take it to Canberra if i go, but it struck me that the frame isnt for what i was going to put in it.  Ayone now how to identify the frames pre 72 ?  i got all the codes for the champions etc, but the trackmaster/sonics all seem to be bald ( as in no numbers)

Im thinking it might be for somthing bigger than a 2ee like 4 banger 500+ or maybe somthing high in the barrell like a BSA or triumph.   Assuming you can plate the frame for any motor whats the definitive way of telling ? i was going to shove a YZa donk i got running, in-it but looking at the hole the motor at best may take up like 1/3 of the hole so it must be somthing taller in the top end, ideas anyone ?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:34:38 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 10:48:02 pm »
I don't have bad hair days Freaky, I don't have hair. I don't know about Sonics but with Trackmasters the I.D. should be on the steering head and it should read a letter code representing what it's for and then the number in build sequence for instance the fifteenth BSA frame would read 'BSA15' or the fourth Yamaha would read 'YAM4'. BSA singles (B50/44 Goldy etc) would read 'BSAS 15' meaning BSA single,#15. I know it gets more complicated than that but that's how Ken Hemsley himself explained it to me when we were tracing the heritage of Trackmaster frame 'BSA 1 that a friend here owns. It turned out to be the first BSA twin frame he made. Ken was going to write it all down for the future as most of it was in his head but unfortunately he died a month or so later. Somebody in the US would know more than me I'd guarantee.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:15:48 pm by firko »

Husados

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:22 am »
Good news
Pick up the XL500 next week
Woohoo
New project about to start....$$$$
See pic a bit of inspiration

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 07:13:26 pm »
YEah thats the same way as the champions run well letter /number. i cant find shit on this one, where on the  stem front or side of ? its a nickel frame so it should be thin enough to see if its there. i measured out the available bolt carriers front to the back is 345mm then if you went down from the back toward the middle its 210mm then 180 back up to the front.  I sat a Dt, mx and a yz in there and they all fit and line up but the frame tubing is way too big for a 2fitty and the motor just takes up the bottom quarter.  Did ken say he marked all frames, or just some he remembered to do ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:28:55 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 07:32:35 pm »
Nah firko i checked it again today there is no stamps on the head stem anywhere i look. 

aLTHOUGH LAST TIME I FOUND ONE IT WAS MONTHs LATER AND I DID THE BLURRY THING like where you look at those secret image murals, as i stop focusing i could see the outline of somthing like stars and the hey presto i couldnt stop seeing it was like lining up stars, its amazing how you dont see it the first time. Its definately a Trackmaster, maybe the early ones he never stamped ?  Any one got a BSa, truimph or XS out of the frame ATM that can measure the mounts for me ?  might get this project heading in the right direction
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 07:35:13 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's