Author Topic: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?  (Read 73911 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2015, 07:18:01 pm »
Maybe the Australian (Show & Go) or American (Sudco) distributors might be able to confirm that the PJ38 was available for retail sale in 1984?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2015, 07:40:51 pm »
Is this all about getting extra horsepower out of a 500 2T or getting your 500 to run right?

If its about getting your 500 to run right, and you have an unlimited budget, I can give you two guys phone numbers that will come to the track on race days and guarantee that you will achieve that.

If its about getting more power out of a 500 I suggest you suddenly lose thirty years of wear and tear on your bodies, train 24/7 and find the balls of a mastodon. Coz you're gonna need them.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:02 pm »
Maybe the Australian (Show & Go) or American (Sudco) distributors might be able to confirm that the PJ38 was available for retail sale in 1984?

Pj's suck anyway.

I like my round slide on my 84 heaps better than the Pj on my 89
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »
They may suck but its on there and it works so if there is a chance of it staying I'm a happy VMXer.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:53 pm »
I'm with Nathan here. Well not with him, but you get the idea ...  :o

The way I read  ' components built up to and including the 1984 model ' doesn't mean "parts available in 1984" or "parts available up to 31Dec 1984" at all.

It means components built up to and including the 1984 model ! ie: parts that were actually available late 1983 !

Thats how I read it anyway....... but I'm just a dumb Aircraft mechanic.....  :P

Hey Roger imagine if someone actually fully restored a beautiful 1985 CR 250 to ride in Pre 85. Now that would be one really dumb mutha forka ;D :D ;D :D I crack myself up ;D ;D ;D

haha...  smarty pants..
You referring to this one?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2015, 12:45:39 am »
Nathan - if your last comment re works parts was in regard to my last comment - I wasn't going down that route - just arguing that if a particular part was available on an RC in 84 did not mean it was available at the local Honda dealer for the rest of us.  Not whether works parts could be used or not.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2015, 07:43:29 am »
I can picture a hoard of self appointed eligibility scrutineers in spectacles & white coats skulking around the pits taking notes, disqualifying bikes for incorrect carbs, forks, seat covers, nuts, bolts & split spins. Then I can see them skwarking blue murder after being punched in the face that's it's all in the spirit of VMX. Too bad these types seem to have forgotten about actual VMX racing, where someone has to get on a bike & ride it to participate in a VMX race. I get beaten all the time in VMX, but it isn't because the guys in front of me have later model forks, carbs or safety seats, it's because they can ride better than me. Another thread to the detriment of the sport for those who haven't already had enough of the BS.
What a load of crock! No wonder VMX is suffering as a whole.
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is a duck, isn't it?
Try not to get too bent out of shape you guys, it's just my opinion.
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:33 am »
Ross, my post was just a comment that was prompted by your comment, but not a specific response to it. Sorry if it sounded like I was having a to at you - not my intention at all (although, now that I've re-read, I recognise that it sounds like I might have been).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:05 am »
I can picture a hoard of self appointed eligibility scrutineers in spectacles & white coats skulking around the pits taking notes, disqualifying bikes for incorrect carbs, forks, seat covers, nuts, bolts & split spins. Then I can see them skwarking blue murder after being punched in the face that's it's all in the spirit of VMX. Too bad these types seem to have forgotten about actual VMX racing, where someone has to get on a bike & ride it to participate in a VMX race. I get beaten all the time in VMX, but it isn't because the guys in front of me have later model forks, carbs or safety seats, it's because they can ride better than me. Another thread to the detriment of the sport for those who haven't already had enough of the BS.
What a load of crock! No wonder VMX is suffering as a whole.
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is a duck, isn't it?
Try not to get too bent out of shape you guys, it's just my opinion.
K

+1 K
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:01 am »
+2 BigK

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2015, 11:05:48 am »
We're not talking about people who don't know better.
We're not talking about people who are "making do" because they can't find/afford an unobtainable part.
We're not talking about sending them home - the worst that would happen is that they are moved into Pre-90.

We ARE talking about people who are choosing to break the rules by using newer components.

There is no room for emotional blackmail here: you turn up with a legit Pre-85 bike if riding Pre-84 matters to you. If having a PJ carb on your 1984 model bike matters more, then you ride Pre-90.
You make your own choice.

If we don't care about too-new carbies, then where do we draw the line? Are late-80s cartridge forks OK too? Maybe just fitting a 99 YZ250 motor to a YZ250K is OK? Maybe a whole 02 YZ250 is ok for Pre-85 if it has the 1984 graphics and colour scheme on it?

For the record: If a newb turned up to a club day with a PJ (or PWK or TMX or...) on their Pre-85 bike, I'd be strongly in favour of a blind eye being turned for that event.
But that is not the scenario we are talking about here.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2015, 11:20:13 am »
Or we could follow New Zealand vmx way and go pre 86 problem solved with the carby thing .
But then some might want to put a 86 carb on a  85 bike ? When does it end i spose

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:42 am »
LOL Mick... yeah and then some would argue that the 86 KX's had rear disc, therefore the Discs could be bought in 85.....bla bla bla ...

Just get on em, twist the throttle (coupled to a good carby... :o) and ride !

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
Lets apply the pundits rationale to not only bikes but the riders as well. We'll use EVO for this particular case:

Given that the last commercially available EVO bike able to be purchased in Australia was a 1984 Husqvarna CR500 (there may well be others, but this will suffice for the moment) & that you had to be 16 years old in 1984 to ride a senior race, I put it to you that the minimum age for someone to race the EVO class at national level in 2015 should be 47 years old. Age of bike plus 16 years. Some will say that's absurd, but no more absurd than the rule book racing that's happening on here.
This rule will put a lot of bikes on the side lines with those that don't comply to the proposed bike rules. There are quite a few who build bikes and then put an 18 year old gun to ride them at a National event just to get a $2 trophy.
So you ask why this rider age rule? Just like you don't like me riding an evo bike with something not quite EVO legal in your mind, I don't like you putting a super fast kid on a bike that said kid has no affiliation to other than to win a trophy for the bike builder.
Just a thought.
K

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2015, 12:28:25 pm »
Lets apply the pundits rationale to not only bikes but the riders as well. We'll use EVO for this particular case:

Given that the last commercially available EVO bike able to be purchased in Australia was a 1984 Husqvarna CR500 (there may well be others, but this will suffice for the moment) & that you had to be 16 years old in 1984 to ride a senior race, I put it to you that the minimum age for someone to race the EVO class at national level in 2015 should be 47 years old. Age of bike plus 16 years. Some will say that's absurd, but no more absurd than the rule book racing that's happening on here.
This rule will put a lot of bikes on the side lines with those that don't comply to the proposed bike rules. There are quite a few who build bikes and then put an 18 year old gun to ride them at a National event just to get a $2 trophy.
So you ask why this rider age rule? Just like you don't like me riding an evo bike with something not quite EVO legal in your mind, I don't like you putting a super fast kid on a bike that said kid has no affiliation to other than to win a trophy for the bike builder.
Just a thought.
K
I like what your saying, so like you are running a 1985 carby in Pre85 straight to Pre90 you go! if your running a 18 year old they go straight to under ??????? what age section
Trouble is half the field of riders I ride with are gone  :-\  at least I'd be garenteed a position on the podium ;)