Author Topic: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?  (Read 73937 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: What flatslides are legal for Pre 85?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 06:31:39 pm »
TBM, Pre 85 finishes at the end of 84, not the 30/12/1985. I guess that's why it's called PRE ( precedes) 85

Obviously a mistook Teddles. Yet again, looking for semantics in an attempt to validate your feeble attempts at justifying your argument. How the hell can a sexmax or tedmax even be considered legal yet a simple carby cannot?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2015, 06:39:35 pm »

Nathan, what the hell has shocks got to do with this current discussion? Seems when ever you are stuck for an argument you change tact. Get into sailing buddy. They forever have to go port and starboard.

Get back to the facts.....Flatslide Mikuni's, Lectrons, and Keihins were all available before 30.12.1985. IF you had the coin to do so, anybody could walk into a dealership and buy their choice of carby to "update" from public specification to what the factory guys are (were) using.

I was replying to shelpi's post directly ahead of mine.

You could not buy a Keihin PJ in 1984. THAT is why they are not legal in Pre-85.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »
ALL of the VMX classes apart from Evo, are defined by year cut offs for major components. We

If a PJ or PWK carb is OK for pre-85, then why aren't cartridge forks or 88 model rear discs or 1987 model bikes?
Because they're not pre-85 parts!

It's not semantics, it's about having a class that has a reason for existing.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »
ALL of the VMX classes apart from Evo, are defined by year cut offs for major components. We

If a PJ or PWK carb is OK for pre-85, then why aren't cartridge forks or 88 model rear discs or 1987 model bikes?
Because they're not pre-85 parts!

It's not semantics, it's about having a class that has a reason for existing.

Correct  :-)

One set of legal 43mm forks in Evo does not make all 43mm forks legal, a couple of legal flatslide carbs in Pre 85 does not make all flatslides legal.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »

Protest all you want John. I think you will be wasting your money and the officials time.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, first to see if I can get up near the front, and then whether anyone decides to run something that is not Pre 85 with regards carbs, when the MOMS say that carbs must be 'Pre 85'?

I'm not against spoiling the sport, I do all I can to help the sport but if there is a defined rule, if I want to play, I will stick to them.  If you don't like the rules, you are complaining to the wrong bloke  ;-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:09:52 pm by John Orchard »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
TBM, Pre 85 finishes at the end of 84, not the 30/12/1985. I guess that's why it's called PRE ( precedes) 85

Obviously a mistook Teddles. Yet again, looking for semantics in an attempt to validate your feeble attempts at justifying your argument. How the hell can a sexmax or tedmax even be considered legal yet a simple carby cannot?

I'm not attempting to validate an argument. I was just saying when Pre 85 finished. A fact. Unlike your stated fact that it finished Pre 86.

If you are going to write things and mention the word fact you best know them before hand. It will add some weight to what you are trying to say  ::)

As John said, ask Tanner why a 88 carby can't go on a 84 bike and while you're there ask him to explain the Sexmax. After all you wanted it ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2015, 09:07:33 pm »
Gee, I should have protested the bike Bell rode in 09, I would have won Bahahaha. Can someone please find me the time and money to set up a period correct carby just so I can beat these bastards. My opinion is the competition and specticle of full grids is worth overlooking some eligibility discrepencies just like I did in 09. F#*k me if you looked close enough most bikes would be booted out. Tell me again why 3 major events I entered in the last 3 year were cancelled thru lack of numbers!!!
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2015, 09:25:35 pm »
^^^^^^^^^  Agreed, let's get the rules changed  :-)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2015, 09:37:23 pm »
Mikuni VM = work well, easy to sort, parts everywhere, and entirely legal.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2015, 10:46:50 pm »
the KTM guys must be laughing (quitely ;)) delorto VHSB 37  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »

shhhhhh Mick enough of that what they don't know won't hurt them  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2015, 12:50:40 am »
The relevant rule mentions components available in 1984.

There is no requirement for specific part numbered model identification

By the look of the carbies in the various photos they are die cast production parts, unlike  the big black round slide mixers fitted on earlier HRC motocrossers.

GCR 16.15.13.1.  Acceptable for Pre 85 class are machines and COMPONENTS built up to and including the 1984 model.

This is it. It's not about names or numbers, it's about the parts.

Is an RX-8 motor the same as an RX-4 motor? They're both called "13B"... If the racing class specifies "Pre-1985", then how do you justify allowing a Renesis into that class?

It's the same as you're trying to do here.

PJs are pooh.

I don't know if the Mazda rotary engine comparison works Nathan. A lot of people think that the side inlet and exhaust ports on the later engine makes it inferior for race power production compared to the earlier side/peripheral setup.

If you love it, lube it.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2015, 01:01:26 am »

shhhhhh Mick enough of that what they don't know won't hurt them  ;)

Lozza, despite having the external appearance of a round slide unit the VHSB 37 is functionally a flat slide carburettor is it not?

If you love it, lube it.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2015, 07:43:12 am »
My opinion is the competition and specticle of full grids is worth overlooking some eligibility discrepencies just like I did in 09. F#*k me if you looked close enough most bikes would be booted out. Tell me again why 3 major events I entered in the last 3 year were cancelled thru lack of numbers!!!
And therein lays my point. I know the cut off date is 30.12.1984, despite what others may want to argue. Shoot me, I pressed the wrong key.....
The fact of the matter is, a carburetor is hardly going to detract from how the bike looked in the day, unlike the CR that Bell rode in 09 that no one protested. And for the record, I wasn't racing a pre85 bike then so whilst I thought the bike was totally out of place, it didn't affect me.
Nathan, I do agree that the PJ Kehein wasn't available ON THE BIKE in 1984, BUT, It was on the 1985 CR250RF which was released late in 1984. From memory, I got my NEW CR250RF in October 1984.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:56:11 pm by TBM »
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:48 am »

I don't know if the Mazda rotary engine comparison works Nathan. A lot of people think that the side inlet and exhaust ports on the later engine makes it inferior for race power production compared to the earlier side/peripheral setup.

Just as the PJ is inferior to the VM...

Either way, the point was about age eligibility, and the newer part fails the age test.