Author Topic: Cheney Can Am ?  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Cheney Can Am ?
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:23:57 pm »
I had heard reports in the past that Can Am TNT 250s made great usable power , but that they didn't handle that well & were a bit on the heavy side . After reading some of the thread on the Cheney TM400 that was for sale on ebay recently , I got to wondering if Eric Cheney ever built a frame for the Can Am Rotax motor & running gear . It would have made a formidable combination if he did .

firko

Re: Cheney Can Am ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:00:05 am »
Eric Cheney built a few odd one in his time but I doubt it very much if he did a Can Am frame. The only production Cheney 2 stroke frames I've seen are the Yamaha, Suzuki and Bultaco. I've seen a few other home modified ones like the cool Cheney Husky I saw at Sandhill Ranch a few years ago. The sweetest Can Am conversion I saw was in a '74.5 Maico frame, once again at Sandhill Ranch. It was a seriously good thing.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »
I think cheney made production husky's also, here's one for sale in Sweden. It says #9 of 20 made.

http://www.blocket.se/skaraborg/Cheney_racing_husqvarna_veteran_24429335.htm?ca=9&w=3

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:18:16 am »
The very same Cheney Husky was for sale on UK eBay a while back. The bike is identical to my almost finished Yamaha RT1 powered version, in fact it's the only Cheney I've seen with the same tank as mine. After trying to decide whether to go with all shiny polished tank and panels or anodizing them as the factory did, I've settled on the red anodizing as this bike once was. I reckon it'll look cool.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:21:27 am by firko »

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:03:52 pm »
It will be beautiful! Please post up some pics when done. Or will will I see it in a future VMX?
My friend's 77 Cheney XT500 also had chrome frame and red anodised tank/covers. But the tank is very different from the cheney YZ465 and XT500 featured in VMX.

I think I have a photo of a Cheney Sachs125 who looks a lot like, and has the same tank, as the Husky above and your Yam.

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:08 pm »
Eric built a number of two stroke models.  Among them Sachs 125cc, CZ, cantilever Ossa trials and of course the Yamaha, Suzuki, and Husqvarna. My understanding is he may have also built a frame for the Harley Baja.  I have yet to see the article or picture, but two sources confirm it was made.  Recently a Sachs roller sold on Ebay UK in December 2009.  We worked with Eric to develop and imported a total of five of the Sachs frames in 1972.  The last to arrive in the US having frame #14.  This is the only machine that was retained over the years and returned to vintage racing last spring after collecting dust in the garage.  You may have seen it on Mark's VMX site.  Need a picture of a Cheney?  I may have one of almost everything he produced.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:50:27 am by dfisher »
Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:33:24 am »
I would love to have photos of Cheney XT500's. What wheels/forks was most common? I might be starting on a resto on this bike...

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:43:29 am »
Cheney did indeed make a Harley Baja 125 engined bike & I'm lead to believe there was only 1 made. I have a copy of the magazine article. Modern Cycle IIRC, circa 1970

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »
Here are recent race pictures of a Cheney Yamaha and Cheney CZ.  The Yamaha is here in the US, the CZ in France.

Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:20:38 pm »
I just found this thread - very interesting !

Anything on Cheney / Ducati 450 ? I've been told that he only made afew and this one is un-numbered supposedly the proto model (haven't we all heard that before)

I finally spliit the cases on mine this arvo to find a very nice Carrillo rod in a very fresh crank so I'm looking forward to an easy rebuild on the engine. If anyone has a decent set of 450 cases I'm interested as the ones I have aren't much chop!

Cheers,

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted