Author Topic: dt400 finished and first run  (Read 5642 times)

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
dt400 finished and first run
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »
I finally got my hands on a dt400 when I went to pic it up fuel tank was rusted out and carbie all gummed up so no chance of riding it...but was straight and in good nick if just a lil neglected.. I stripped it and painted and made respectable all the time not knowing what to expect as never ridden a big bore air cooled 2 stroke before and from every thing I had read the dt400 was nothin too flash performance wise it is totally stock howe er the guy I got it from who was a mechanic and owned the bike for 35 yrs said he had " ported" it .. it started second kick I coasted down the drive onto the road rolled the throtfle on a d was greeted by  nice big torque as it pulled away effortlessLy as the revs climbed I was not expecting the huge rush of power as the wheel went vertical !! Second gear was the same...this was not the 20hpr flat lineal power curve  I had read about...much to my delight...very happy

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: dt400 finished and first run
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:27:47 pm »
Twinshock or monoshock? The monoshock version could be made to go pretty damned quick. In fact one of the best examples I ever rode was totally stock other than a muffler - the owner reckoned he showed it no mercy running it in and geez it flew.

Most of my mates rode DT400D monos when they first came out, we flogged those things everywhere. Loved them, even if they really were big heavy poor handling barges. We didn't know any better! We'd have a shot at anything on those things...

Of course sometimes that didn't end so well!

Glad you are enjoying yours, they are a fun old trailbike!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:33:47 pm by Graeme M »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »
Twinrock Enjoy!!!!! :D Cheers Tim754       Great memory stirring piccies too Graeme! been there         (Done that :()
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
went & picked up a fleabay 76 DT250 C? monoshock tizarvo for a forum mate,(remain blameless in case it's a real sh%^^$box  :D),sorta tidy,so far, the flywheel key was sheared,(new points fitted),new chain/sprockets, con link highlighted with yellow paint,(fitted on backwards  :o),new rear tyre fitted (flat as the front is ::)),oil pump line floating in the breeze,will wait till  the morning to boot some life into it,as po stated carby floods,so motor might be tad smokey at 1st,got really blue fuel innit too,not sure what thats about,thought it was "powersene",stay tuned kiddies,updates as they come to hand 8), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »
Its a twin shock 1975..I also put a dt200l font end and rear wheel as the forksweek pitted and heavy steal rims

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:02 am »
Well this wont have to hard a life.. it will be road rego ,first time in its life with hopefully a few trails every now and then..does anyone have the main jet size the number is worn off mine..im prob going to run a pod filter so need to jet up..thanks.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:33 am »
My first "new" bike was a 1975 DT250B in the orange.....loved that bike, went everywhere, I put a Bassani chamber on it, a Preston Petty sump guard and made up a fibreglass seat base to make a lighter/higher seat [all the rage in the magazines]. I have been watching out for one to buy.....it will be 40 years next year [3 weeks] since I bought it....where has the time gone? 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »
twinrock the later 400 D/E's ran 190 main jets,(VM34SS) just run it as is & plug chop it??, it's little e bay brother fired up tiz morning ,sounds ok,(another one for the vinduro scene  8)), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:51:59 pm »
Thanks for that..yeah plug chop just wanted to know I was going big enough to start with..I was lookin at putting a chamber on it...more then likely an under slung one..but it seems to go so well already.. not sure ill bother.. not just yet anyhow..

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »
Graeme M's bank busting photo brings back memories,my first new bike was also a DT250(Xmas74), which was heaps better than the BSA Gold Flash on the banks,because it didn't hurt as much when it fell back on me!To go racing I pulled off the oil pump, and ran Castrol R premix(loved the smell),fitted girling shocks,took the headlight,tachometer,and speedo off,and wired a piece of Masonite on for a number plate(no zip ties then),every town had tracks on the common or river banks and this developed into organised races,with mostly Trailbikes and a few MXers.The best known race in South West Qld was at Nindigully, which attracted some big name riders,it was a "Black Meeting" so any ACU riders used assumed names.Vince Strang won it at least once on a IT400 that would do over 160 kph on the straights(1976).The track went past the famous pub,so if you got thirsty you could just pull up to the bar .The DT250 cost $650 new,and my Bell Motostar was $100,I still have the helmet and,fixed most of the DT,s problems by trading it on a YZ250B.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:57:02 pm by N22 »
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:52 pm »
Show us a photo of the machine in question twinrock.

Pod filter? Under slung pipe? You're not gonna turn this classic DT into some hipster cafe racer monstrosity are you?!  ;D

Graeme M that photo is gold, and captures for many of us what riding old dirt bikes was about back in the day. The reaction of the guy in the white shirt is classic - he doesn't know whether to run to help his mate or dive for cover.

Also enjoyed your story N22.

Tex

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:15:31 am »
Hipsters arnt into 2 strokes. Or performance..erm 4 stroke small capacity singles..then modify them to handle worse then they did from factory.I put the dt200 stuff on cause I already had it there and an easy up grade in breaks and unsprung weight..the underslung pipe just means easier to get a better performing pipe..instead of a custom just for the dt built around the frame and engine, im new to dt400 but not 2strokes..I have had nothin but 2t road bikes from stock to fully worked.. including road regoed mito125 with 420cc banshee engine, yammagammas lcs rgvs tzrs and from my experience stcok pipes and air boxes always seem to have restrictions...with the exception of tzr250 2ma stock pipes very good but heavy..im ranting..the stock pipe on the dt also restricts the option of a bigger carb..but like I said..I like the way it is at the moment but if idid build a pipe prob design it around the factory one.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:15:12 am »
check out the beach races at mackay?, (grass tree beach?) cr 500 with a fat underslung chamber is the weapon of choice! build a big underslung chamber, sounds superb

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:12:40 pm »
Yeah if I were to change the look.. I do love how f?at trac? bìkes look...very tuff

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »
I fitted a front brake set up from a ktm lc4...wow what an awsome stop it has now..I also fitted a bigger xt disc to replace the tiny one on the dt200l front wheel, great feel and stops as well as it goes