Author Topic: KX125 '76 model  (Read 9789 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
KX125 '76 model
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
I just got onto a very original unmolested '76 KX125. You certainly don't see them like this too often.

I know there has been some discussion previously about these being identical to the '74 and '75 models, with the possibility of them being declared a carryover model for pre '75. Does anyone happen to know if this is the case. I don't imagine this bike would be particularly competitive in pre '78, particularly motocross, but probably wouldn't be too bad in pre '75. Regardless of the outcome, it's a great little bike, particularly in this condition.

Pete.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: KX125 '76 model
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »
Great little bike, Ask Dave T he owns one and should know about about the carry over pre 75 deal. IMO they should be pre 75 legal.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Wow what a great pick up Pete 8)
I have a dunger 74 KS125 in my hoardings,,,,
Picked up a dunger 76 KE125 for spares, can't tell the difference except for paint scheme.
The exhaust port went to the right hand side on latter models.
There are a couple of blokes on here would know the right answer though.

I think TM Bill has also has a good mental archive on these things?
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Pete that is a fantastic score  8) You don't often see them come up that original .

Its got all the good original stuff on it still, in spite of public opinion parts are relatively easy to source if you need any, I use modern YZ 85 rod kits in mine . 

They are a great bike and ultra competitive in pre 75 . I don't know what the Aussie ruling is on them re pre 75 and I don't want to start a debate over it .

I have a 74 and a 76 and to me they are the same bike, Sans paint and graphics ( my 76 has had longer shocks fitted and forks modified ) but in std trim I don't believe there's any difference .

Only my opinion but the 76 125 belongs in pre 75 only my opinion .

The 250 / 450/ 400 were very different bikes in 75 and are pre 78 without question , but little bro should be pre 75  :D

Keeper Dave has been harping on forever that he wants one of these .

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
Pete awesome fast little bikes. Dave #14 will be your new mate, a real keeper. Just spoke to frank in the hospital.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
According to my notes of the 548 parts that make up a 74 KX 125 only three show up as a one model only part, the con rod, side cover emblem and a bearing.

There are 4 other parts that are for 2 models, the 74 & 75...
Front and rear backing plates & 2 more bearings.
(although there are other part numbers for other backing plates that are listed as for 3 models which may be because the early ones were superseded)

Everything else comes up as 3 or more models, some of which are the KS, KE & KD models (besides the KX models)
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
According to my notes of the 548 parts that make up a 74 KX 125 only three show up as a one model only part, the con rod, side cover emblem and a bearing.

There are 4 other parts that are for 2 models, the 74 & 75...
Front and rear backing plates & 2 more bearings.
(although there are other part numbers for other backing plates that are listed as for 3 models which may be because the early ones were superseded)

Everything else comes up as 3 or more models, some of which are the KS, KE & KD models (besides the KX models)

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking that up Geoff, great job. It would seem from your research that there would be a very good argument for a carry over inclusion - hard to see any reason why not.

Pete that is a fantastic score  8) You don't often see them come up that original .

Its got all the good original stuff on it still, in spite of public opinion parts are relatively easy to source if you need any, I use modern YZ 85 rod kits in mine . 

They are a great bike and ultra competitive in pre 75 . I don't know what the Aussie ruling is on them re pre 75 and I don't want to start a debate over it .

I have a 74 and a 76 and to me they are the same bike, Sans paint and graphics ( my 76 has had longer shocks fitted and forks modified ) but in std trim I don't believe there's any difference .

Only my opinion but the 76 125 belongs in pre 75 only my opinion .

The 250 / 450/ 400 were very different bikes in 75 and are pre 78 without question , but little bro should be pre 75  :D

Keeper Dave has been harping on forever that he wants one of these .

Thanks Bill. I suspected it would be a good thing. I worked for Kevin Cass years ago and he built one into a very competitive road racer that the late Dave Burgess raced to second place in the Australian 125cc road racing championships against a field of TA125 Yamahas.

If I wasn't such an honest person I would just paint the tank in '74 colours (nicer colour scheme anyway IMO), put some white guards on and go racing. 8) Thanks for the conrod tip, I'll definitely go down that path.

Thanks Mike, Mick and Mick. I get really excited about finding bikes in this condition. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but I'm thinking it's going to be a beauty. Just proves that they are still out there.

This ones a keeper for sure ;D

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
Now build it a Worrell pipe ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
Now build it a Worrell pipe ;D
That'd would be a good one to give it a try on Ted. Nice gentle bends, not too complicated :o

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »
Yamaico:
That is a real cute bike. It reminds me of Sandra Sully. I recently saw one (approx mid 70's) at ACT dirttrack running on methanol. It had a 34mm carby fitted externally and facing forwards. Looked hot and really fast too!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »
Yamaico:
That is a real cute bike. It reminds me of Sandra Sully. I recently saw one (approx mid 70's) at ACT dirttrack running on methanol. It had a 34mm carby fitted externally and facing forwards. Looked hot and really fast too!
Brett
Sandra Sully Brett??
Just need to go and pick it up then get it ready for Nepean next year. I'll have as many bikes out there as Jim Garvey ;D

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
Nice 1 Yamaico,
Gonna be great to see some green on the grid at Nepean.
My 76 Kx400 will be on the grid....... If my rod kit ever arrives,

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
how does the gearbox hold up? I vaguely remember them having dramas back in the day. they are the nicest looking bikes of that era imo

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Touch wood the gearboxes in mine have never given any trouble , the very early 74 models had big end issues that were resolved for the 2nd shipment .

In my experience they are as reliable as a brick , for a pre 75 125 they are suitable for a novice as the power is so linear and doesn't load up yet are a championship contender and Elsinore beater in the right hands ( Rob Tumes ) for one  :)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
Touch wood the gearboxes in mine have never given any trouble , the very early 74 models had big end issues that were resolved for the 2nd shipment .

In my experience they are as reliable as a brick , for a pre 75 125 they are suitable for a novice as the power is so linear and doesn't load up yet are a championship contender and Elsinore beater in the right hands ( Rob Tumes ) for one  :)

Power of the mighty spinning disc Bill  ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes