Author Topic: crankshaft repair  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
crankshaft repair
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »
Just would like to know if anyone here ever atempted to sleeve crankshaft journal. I have a crankshaft (80 RM 125)i want to use but magneto(left side) juornal is worn 0.02mm undersize. I am thinking of machining the diameter down by 1.5-2mm and pressing/shrink fitting a sleeve on(mild steel,4130) and machining it to correct size. Also, would loctite retaining compound work since the diameter  is only 0.02mm undersize? Any ideas/recomendations? I know that some crankshafts dont have bearings press fitted but that depends on desing of the crank.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: crankshaft repair
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »
Best repair is hard chrome the damaged area & grind back to correct size. Personally I wouldn't try sleeving the shaft

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »
Just would like to know if anyone here ever atempted to sleeve crankshaft journal. I have a crankshaft (80 RM 125)i want to use but magneto(left side) juornal is worn 0.02mm undersize. I am thinking of machining the diameter down by 1.5-2mm and pressing/shrink fitting a sleeve on(mild steel,4130) and machining it to correct size. Also, would loctite retaining compound work since the diameter  is only 0.02mm undersize? Any ideas/recomendations? I know that some crankshafts dont have bearings press fitted but that depends on desing of the crank.
Done plenty that way and haven't had one come back yet. Only go down 1mm and use 4140.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »

I don't think that's worn at all that amount should allow the bearing to be pressed on by hand, hard chrome all the way for repair.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
thank you for ideas guys. hardchroming sounds great. i am also considering machining it to smaller diameter (from 25 to 22mm) and using same bearing on left and right side(22x56x16bearing, 2005 suzuki rm 125 uses this bearing size on both sides of crankshaft). left case also need a sleeve since the crank bearing is pretty loose in it so i may just have it machined to fit a bigger diameter bearing(no sleeve). only thing i need to find than is an oil seal that will fit the smaller shaft diameter which should be easy  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:31:44 pm by Tomas »