Author Topic: Flat tracker seat  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Flat tracker seat
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »
Have built an aluminium seat pan to attach fixings to bolt seat pan/ rear tail section for a Trackmaster. What is best to glue the fiberglass to the aluminium? Liquid nail, areldite, other? Will fiberglass around edges for extra strength.

Second question is about affixing seat to fiberglass. One I bought has light weight alloy base with the vinyl wrapped and riveted around edge. Some one has suggested glueing, but that's a pain if it needs to be replaced/ repaired at some stage. Also have been told to just Velcro but I wonder about movement/slipping.other methods? Too light to weld. Would have been good if bolts were pre done but it hasn't come that way and I don't want to take the vinyl seat off to attach bolts.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Flat tracker seat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:28:47 pm »
So under the sponge there is a alloy base.
I would use short screws and screw under the fibreglass seat base and into the alloy base of the actual seat making sure they just go through the alloy so when you sit on it you don't get the screws pushing through the sponge and into your butt.

Offline FTF#22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:26:05 pm »
    There are two ways to do this.
One as mentioned before is to Velcro seat to base. Three of my trackers are done that way. They don't move and can be removed easily. The Second way is like Saddelman Seats are done. There are RIVET NUTS in the Seat Pad and small bolts or screws come from under up into seat pad to hold to seat base.   Google RIVNUTS.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:02 am »
Hey Rosco,
As FTF#22 says, Velcro is the go. I've got just a couple of strips of 50mm wide on mine and it doesn't move a bit, but is still easy to remove when you need to,
Pete.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:21 pm »
Thanks boys, will give the Velcro a go, seems the easiest solution and then have a rethink if it does not work out.
Rosco86

Offline flattracker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 10:03:03 pm »
where are you located Rosco? I have a nutsert tool if the velcro doesnt do.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:06:11 pm »
Hi flattracker I'm based in the Redlands, southern suburbs of Brisbane, but travel south to Melbourne quite often.
Rosco

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
mine has the captive nuts in the seat and you have a gutter style bolt comes from under neath, you can buy them from all the FT places that do the glass etc. there about a $1 each though and they insert into the seat pan and sit pround outside that then locates into the glass cover
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff