Author Topic: 243 minibikes at Manfeild [nz] for next 3 days.  (Read 1019 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
243 minibikes at Manfeild [nz] for next 3 days.
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:31:47 am »
Where did that year go!!, here we go again. Scrutineering this afternoon [pick up all the bits on the dummy grid tomorrow lol]. 243 of them & absolutely buzzing with enthusiasm. see everything from welds that didn't quite 'take' to jobs that look absolutely professional, one last year i think was based on the Britten with all the trick suspension--actually that one might've had center hub steering come to think. Most are to a plan with a kit of parts [motor-wheels etc] then they build the frame & rest of it but must be the real clever ones that are let go to explore their ideas. Sidecars as well. We're only involved with the transponder lap timing but that's always a drama as either no brackets to attach them too or brackets where transponder's going to touch exhaust etc. Anyway it'll never change & it's all good fun [realy] albeit high stress fun for most with literally everything going wrong that possibly can. Got inadvertantly involved [in many] trying to fix on the spot--won't go sir--where's me 10mm, cylinder jumping up n down to the point of lifting off lol--i kid you not. Gonna be fun again!! Oh to be a kid again eh.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 243 minibikes at Manfeild [nz] for next 3 days.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:06 am »
That's over for another year. Hectic 3 days of full on enthused kids with Everything going wrong & breaking. Hell, even had front ends breaking off of the 4 speed 70cc bikes & wheels 'so' out of balance they [front wheels] were clearing the ground]. Got tought a thing or two by kids knowing more about their motors than i did. Got involved with one [mini 50cc] which was leaning out or sounded like running out of fuel in bowl down the straight. Mixture [not bowl] is controlled by slide needle only so said bugger it, go full rich & it'll be ok when it's cleared. Still leaned of [shut throttle for another mouthful] & kid came in & said i think i fitted the fuel filter wrong way up [arrow] which he had & after that we had to lean it back to the middle clip & never looked back. Think i need to go back to school to learn again lol. Were motors [again this year] with cylinder bolts unscrewing & cylinders jumping up n down. It'll never change & is just the nature of the beast. Kids [from all over the country] have nowhere to realy try them & sort them prior to the event. Stories of neighbours [& whole street] complaining about [tuning] as you can imagine--tis an ongoing problem eh!! 240 [or so] kids with parents all thinking their kid is the best [till they get out there]. Bit like when the kids went through junior mx back in the late '70's & 80's. Was good though [realy it was lol]