Author Topic: New member in Brisbane  (Read 4851 times)

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
New member in Brisbane
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:50 pm »
Hi, after lurking in the shadows of the forum for a while, thought it would be good to join now that I finally bought a bike. I went with a sentimental favourite. A 1981 Kawasaki KLX250 similar to what I rode when the bike was new and I had hair, strength, fitness and no fat gut. This last element could prove to be the undoing of the sluggish 250 motor. On the other hand, I'm hoping that there will be at least one other speed challenged old codger at the Brisbane Motorcycle Club that I can have a dice with.

I can't believe that all those years ago I rode at this track and was chased away by the police because we had snuck through the hole in the dump fence. 30 plus years later it's a motocross/speedway track. To think back then it was either Tivoli, Maleny, Conondale or Echo Valley for a race, nothing this close. That's real progress!!!

Open for any advice on who and where to get KLX bits and what to do to make this bike perform.

Also hoping that some of those old enduro boys from the late 70's early 80's are still about.

Look forward to any comments. Regards, Adrian.

oldfart

Re: New member in Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »
Adrian ... welcome aboard. I'm a member of both BMCC and Qvmx both of which are great clubs.
You will find a wealth of imfo in the Kawasaki section .   Cloggy seems to have it all sorted on one of his creations.
Re- KLX's a shared disease.  18 pages  ;) of reading

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:08 pm »
Welcome Adrian. As Stewwie has said, both the QVMX and Brisbane Clubs are both well worth joining.  This forum is a great source of info and amusement. Enjoy it.

On the KLX topic, they are without doubt a sweet handling motorcycle however much has been written about extracting more ponies from the motor .... Good luck with that mate :)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »
I'm thinking you might be the Adrian from Brisbane with a KLX who I rode with a couple of times - an Adrian who I met through John Zordan who also had a KLX and Gordon Burley who had a KDX175. At the time I rode with that Adrian, I probably would have been riding an RM250C with a Suzuki SP370 motor in it
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:20:31 pm »
Yep that's me. Damn, I haven't heard those names since the 80's. I remember your bike and always admired your courage in manhandling that huge lump of metal around.
Guessing you're riding trials these days. I did that a couple of years ago with a Sherco 250. Great bike but my riding buddy decided road cycling was more his style. Go figure!!!
Great to hear from you.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:44 am »
Hi Adrian.
Northern Districts TC by any chance ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:16:25 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:51 pm »
Yes. Started at Western Districts when the Skyrings were front and centre and then moved over to Northern Districts Trials Club after some influence from Billy Jackson. Northern Districts were awesome because of the land at the back of Dayboro that they were allowed to use and the rare times that we actually had to make working contributions to the club. The trials guys did their own thing. I wish I could remember all the people that I rode with and was a clubbie with. My memory is terrible and I blame old age (great excuse that can't be refuted) so apologies but let me know how you remember me.

Because of the Northern Districts membership, myself and Bill, John Hansen, Geoff Petler, sometimes Peter Payne and Steve Cotterill, actually I recall Geoff Udy coming along sometimes too would ride this awesome half day loop, I suppose it was about 400 kilometres. We rode variations of this every weekend when there was no sanctioned event on. I was the green kid, and as a youth I was pretty niave, we would ride over Mt Glorious (all dirt roads then) take a right turn and end up at a hill that was just hell. It took me about a year to get to the top unassisted or off the bike. After a short rest at the top, down the other side by cutting through the Bakers land and end up at Dayboro for lunch and refuel.

I always felt privileged that I was riding with Queenslands best riders on these 'trail rides' which were in fact more competitive than most of the enduros I rode. Thank fully the Police only ever seemed to be interested around Ferny Grove on the slow ride home. If they had seen us on the western Dayboro fire roads we would have been locked up.

Usual problem was small or broken mirror (about 2 inch diameter) and a bicycle squeeze horn. I got a few laughs from the boys in blue back then. They just shook their heads and thought we were dickheads but not worth writing tickets to. After all we were highly respectable gentlemen.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:38:27 pm »

On the other hand, I'm hoping that there will be at least one other speed challenged old codger at the Brisbane Motorcycle Club that I can have a dice with.

I'm your man  :o  Welcome.  Mainline is usually around me somewhere in races  (although he seems to be in front of me lately  :-\)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »
Locke Adrian, ditto to the other boys saying two great clubs, mate if want your KLX to go fast catch up with Graham Simoneddes number 4  I've ridden his bike and IMO its a weapon....

Have fun...
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:54 pm »
Popeye ... that "thing" of Graham's  has a Yamaha motor in it and runs on Methanol and should be fast.   

Offline PBMGold

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:03:13 pm »
I think I'll stick with the Kwacka motor and steer clear of the exotic fuels. Looks like I may have some competition with YZ250 and Mainline and I guess being showered with two sets of rocks might be enough.

Maybe I should have explained better. Possibly I don't want to actually go fast but just feel like I'm going fast.

Thanks everyone for the welcoming comments, the bike is still in a truck heading from Victoria and fingers crossed it will actually start.

Any more meetings on at Nudgee this year?

mainline

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:45:16 pm »
There's a charity day on at Harrisville on the 26th. Best track in SEQ in my humble opinion.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:11 am »
Far less pressure for a first timer at somethinglike that too  8)

Your first meeting can be a bit daunting

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:56 am »
Geez, I might organise a class just for you blokes, Ted will sponsor it... :)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 09:42:59 am »
Would that be "Open Gumby" Class Davey.  Maybe "Open Wobblers"  ::)