Author Topic: Points ignition trick [or not] 'it could come back'. Only an old early AG100.  (Read 1822 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Remember 'points', those bouncy bouncy things. Local bike wrecker [sorry dismantler]  dropped an Agy out home with no spark, [we've tried everything] had put points plug condenser plug cap another secondary coil--had a 'yellow' spark with no guts to it & wouldn't jump a decent gap. Not sure how many volts to expect unloaded from the stator ignition coil, [as i'm too used to cdi coils nowdays--aren't we all] but knowing they're a 6 volt ac system & was sure it was crook so cut the wire at condenser & removed it totaly, then hooked the lighting coil across to the black up under the tank so it fead power to the points/condenser & top coil & bugger me it started first kick & hasn't looked back. Lighting coil has 3 choices of wires so tried them all while watching the points [looking for 'arc welder points'] but looked acceptable in the dark shed. Not sure which one i settled on now but think was the main yellow [highest voltage], if it doesn't like it i'll come home to roost for sure. To top that off it was drowning like the main jet had fallen out [which in a way, it had], side mounted main jets on old agy's & the bowl seals onto the needle jet [emulsion tube thingy] with an o ring, which was all but gone so effectively about a 400 main jet & straight up the spout. To top that of the bloody clutch was well stuck [possibly 6 years] so--up n down the road with clutch wound up, no luck [& no brakes], so, with clutch pulled in i got into the filler hole & tweaked each stack of plate ears as they passed & into gear then 'bang' she came right, so gave it a good work out just to make sure. Forgot to say--it's in an early YZ80 roller. Cheers.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
 8),i'd say you covered all bases mate  ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
You could be in trouble with the lighting coil as it is meant to run a headlight and tail light directly from the AC and the output is about 40watts at 6 volts which would work out to about 6 or 7 amps. Points only handle about 3 long term. The other winding was to charge the little 6 volt battery which has a much smaller output, would be a better option if it works.
The junior speedway guy's would using the lighting coil on the little honda singles for a stronger spark but things would fail after a little while. An auto balast resister can be added in series to reduce the current and make it work long term.