Author Topic: Phaaaaark! No braaaaakes!!  (Read 2913 times)

Doc

Phaaaaark! No braaaaakes!!
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:44 am »
okay, I give up, what's the secret!! I've just been for a quick spin on the SL100, grabbed a handful of front brake for the big stoppy and nothing at all much happened. Outa the waaaaay kids I can't stop! :o oh poo :(
back to the workshop, lubed cable, cleaned and greased the cam, fit new brake shoes, give the drum a light hone with some emerycloth, check the lever and pivot, bolt her back together, go for another ride, handfull of front brake and
:o no braaaaakes!!
so what gives Honda ppls ??? is this typical of  SL100 front brakes? I really don't expect to pull stoppies bu these brakes wouldn't stop a pushbike! I somehow think I'll be slotting in a zook wheel if it is cause it simply won't pull up as is. I've always been a late braking type person (less weight = less inertia ;)) I loooooove having a good front stopper if nothing else  :-\ is there a simple fix...maybe weld a 12 inch extension on the actuating arm for a little more leverage or something? :D it's that desparate! I'm dribbling on but my brakes are very important to my well being  :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:44:08 am by Doc »

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
Re: Phaaaaark! No braaaaakes!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:43:36 am »
It's a 4st Doc use the engine
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Doc

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:46:23 am »
 :D :D I just knew someone would come back with something like that Hilly..I'm removing the flywheel for a little extra snap so i don't think that method will do a lot except spit some valves and other assorted 4 banger engine parts out the exhaust  :o :o big oops :P ;D I'm fully expecting someone to say 'what the heck do you need brakes for on a 100' and I know where they are coming from but still the question remains  :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:48:42 am by Doc »

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:54 am »
It's coz i have been riding the XR250 up the bush all week and i played with the brakes and couldnt get them real sharp so i just backed it into corners .its  great fun but not fast
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Doc

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:05:42 am »
mmm..ya think maybe I should go motarding then?  :P I love backing it into corners as well but I reckon I could kill the little SL pretty rapidly in doing it. Everyone says they're bulletproof but if it's reliability we're speaking, then I've not had much luck with any 4 bangers I've owned previously ::) when I say I've never blown up a bike this rule applies to 2 smokers, I've killed about 3 little thumpers over the years due to hard riding  :-[

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:18 am »
apart from grooving the shoes so to aid in self cleaning or to check just how much contact area they've got. and that can be a biggie as some shoes only have a very small contact area. the suzuki wheels looking pretty good i reckon.
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:31 am »
yeah Vandy, I used to groove the shoes to get rid of water faster but I don't ride in that much water anymore to worry. I'm pretty certain I've found the problem. The cable outa has been stretched at some time and it be loose and stuffed under the plastic sheath. Flexes like crazy when the brakes pulled on and I can't get a positive lever feel. Just about to phone BK's and see if he has a replacement in stock ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:58:00 am by Doc »

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 12:42:03 pm »
I don't think there is much that will make the little Honda stop quickly with the std brakes. I have similar problems with my 1964 S90 Sports, after riding one of my SR500 Yamahas with disk brakes I hop on the little Honda an find that I can't stop. I have just learnt to antisipate not stopping and plan an escape route while riding the 90.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Doc

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:22:41 pm »
yeah Col possibly expecting too much but eh, I have another cable fitted now and the difference is amazing. Not saying the brakes are amazing but I feel a lot happier about them now ;) dickhead me had alook at the flywheel too and I somehow doubt it would do anything but annoy me charging batteries all the time as it's not a big flywheel at all  :-\ it's small and looks quite light. never mind, was just an idea
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:55:51 pm by Doc »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:08:35 pm »
Basically they are just not that awesome Doc ;), you have done a good list of things ..... fit a suzuki wheel  >:(!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilly is about spot on, but if ya lose the flywheel you will have to  think like it is a speedway bike.  ;) regards the flywheel Doc have it turned and lightened a bit, if it feels better I will do the same(of course I got about 25 flywheels.. but if it makes the engine shit it's guts hey you have saved me  :D good work. Tim
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:12:36 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:08:11 am »
mmmm Tim...well, as you know the little flywheel is quite small and quite hollow and not so heavy to start with, not sure where one could start trimming the weight off except to remove it completely and run total loss. Looks like a beaut rainy day here so I've some spare time to play with. I might simply remove it and have a quick ride up the street to gauge if it's a viable idea. (the police don't like going out or getting out of the car when it's wet so she'll be right mate! ;D) If it's more responsive I'll take things further but if it makes the thing a real pig to ride then yup, back on she goes. The suzuki wheel I had lined up to fit was TS100A, runs the same front stopper as the RM250/370A and TM250 but packaged in a small 19inch wheel setup. Probably the best front stopper from the pre 1979 Suzuki's and a bit of an overkill but eh, too much for me works better than too little  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
oz555 has a SL without a flywheel, and he reckons its a good thing.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.