Author Topic: Little end bearings- Are they a special type?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Little end bearings- Are they a special type?
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:26:14 am »
Hi all. I want to take a spare top end to Cookardinia this weekend for my DT175 guest bikes, lest one of them shovels a piston into the pipe, and need a little end bearing.

Got me to thinking, are they anything special and would something from the local bearing shop be OK?

I know the size needed (16 x 20 x 22) but are they coated or treated and do they have a specific clearance like a big en bearing needs a C3 clearance?

Anyone able to enlighten me please?

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Little end bearings- Are they a special type?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:34:12 am »
I've not noticed any difference but I still buy most from a motorcyle parts wholesale outlet as the sizes from the bearing shops aren't always availabile.
Big end cages are totaly different though with silver or copper plated cages.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:28 am »
Hi all. I want to take a spare top end to Cookardinia this weekend for my DT175 guest bikes, lest one of them shovels a piston into the pipe, and need a little end bearing.

Got me to thinking, are they anything special and would something from the local bearing shop be OK?

I know the size needed (16 x 20 x 22) but are they coated or treated and do they have a specific clearance like a big en bearing needs a C3 clearance?

Anyone able to enlighten me please?

Pete C3 is only for main/gearbox/wheel bearings, the needle rollers don't really have clearence built in, you could try a needle roller from the bearing shop but i wouldn't. Some small ends are copper and silver plated but even Aprilia GP small ends are uncoated. That size is a common Yamaha size air cooled RD 250/350 TZ125/250 RGV is 20mm wide I probably have some at home. I could send one to Jeram 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »
Thanks gents. It appears that it is not a size that I can get from the local bearing supplier anyway, so it looks like I might need to go genuine.They are available.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
Serco in Brisbane have them part no B1021,  size is listed as 16x20x22.5. Last one I bought was $14.96.
Actualy got to go and get one next day or 2 myself.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
maybe i'm dreaming but damn sure i had kawasaki needle bearings hanging on a nail from my "86 125 days & worked in a kawy shop back then---that went in minute oversizes. Remember trying them to get a good fit--not too tight as one was. Were in genuine packets or if not were in branded name packets with something like say B1 & B2 etc on packet. Can't find anything on the net about oversizes so i'll shut up!!

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »
Small end bearings start  with  B1 then the next 3 digits determine its size
Ie     B1000  12x16x15.5
        B1001  15x10x17
        B1002  16x23x24
        B1003  18x22x22

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »
yes i'd be up the creek with part numbers but there was 'something', new out the packet with minor increments of the same size [like .000+ a gnats cock bigger] to take up minute [as in small] amounts of wear in the rod. Doesn't matter but i'll loose sleep over it now lol, especially if i'm wrong. Found a pile of kawy bearings recently but don't know what model they're off. Put them on 'trademe' nz, Listing #: 779944015. Thanks.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:27:21 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.