Author Topic: Black engine paint removal  (Read 2006 times)

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Black engine paint removal
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »
Hi all, what's the best method or trick to removing old flaking black engine paint from the cases, head & Barrel?
I'm looking for a method that won't damage the alloy underneath ie paint stripper, another chemical or vapour blasting?
Ta.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Black engine paint removal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:48 am »
Paint stripper has a limited effect on old nasty baked on paint like that. Take your cases to your local engine reco joint and ask them to give them a soak in the carbolene bath, make sure there are no rubber parts you wish to retain left in the cases. Vapour blasting will work well, and I hear mollasses as a home made option is effective if you want to try that as a natural type remedy.

Ask Firko about his mollasses method, Henkel carbolene is a strong alkaline cleaner similar to Gibson chemicals formula 602b. Very expendsive to buy, but is non destructive for paint and engine varnish removal if your in a hurry - research cold tank cleaners for more ideas.

Most engine reco or performance shops that do cylinder boring and head work will have a cold tank.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
For what it is worth...
I get a lot of painted engines and it seems different manufacturers paints have different tenacity.
Honda silver flies of as does most Yamaha cases, where I have had Suzuki's to blast and it has taken longer.
If someone has already painted them with two pack it can take even more work.
I have had parts brought to me that have been Carbolene bathed and it has definitely worked.
I am currently searching around for a decent depth stainless tub for a full Methylene Chroride bath - five minutes in this shit and it's 'paint no more' but requires a lot of care both in use and monitoring progress plus a well ventilated area to handle safely.
All seem to leave the odd patch particularly at the bottom of the nooks and crannies where the blast stream requires more time there but it all comes off in the end.
I'd be careful of molasses - try around 1 to 4/5 and use a sample, say a broken side cover or piston that can be chucked - molasses is great on rusty steel but I am not sure about what it would do to alloy !?
Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »
water blasting does a great job on alloy but I don't know how effective it is in removing case paint. on the husky I just wire brushed and sand back abit before repainting but if you want the alloy look you need to solve this issue...