Author Topic: Another Canberran  (Read 1735 times)

Offline cr750

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • My home page
Another Canberran
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:45:59 pm »
I jumped the gun, and apologise if I've offended.

I've been riding for a few years now, and have enjoyed home built mini bikes when they were not even in Australia, (we built our own from Victa mower engines), rode a side valve BSA 500/600 in the forrest for a few years. Yes, rigid tail and girder forks. Then moved on to a very used DT1, and then an XL250 for my learners in '74. I raced a few times as a fully sponsored MX rider. (The owner hurt his knee and let me ride his YZ250 in a couple of races... 8-) Did a bit of Pony Express at the Ballarat Rovers (Monza Park) in the eighties on a YZ125, XT500, IT425, IT465, and finally winning the open class in '84 on an IT490 with my brother Ian. I pretty much packed up the speed stuff (got married, had kids, was comatose), and rode my '73 RD350 back and forth to work for a bunch of years.
In 2002 I happened across a'73 Rickman CR750 (Honda SOHC4 with 836 kit) rekindling my love of bikes, and rebuilt it from the ground up, including re-nickel plating the frame, and teasing a few more ponies from the tired K1 donk, and a teasing a couple of gorillas out of my wallet.
On moving to the National Capital in 2007, I met Mark, a member here, and started helping him maintain his stable of Post Classic Yamaha road race bikes (LC250 & 350, TDR250 and TZR250), flat trackers (IT 250 and 400), and his vinduro stable of IT200 and IT175. I'm the epitome of the "Pit Bitch" on PCRA race days. My job on race day is to facilitate the talent. That is, I make sure the rider only has one thing to concentrate on, and that is RACING. I look after the rest of the crap.(tires pressures, fuel, repairs, food, hydration) Plenty of "Hurry up, and wait!".
Anyway...
I guess as a level of recognition, Mark allowed me to ride the IT175 at Harrow in 2013.
I WAS HOOKED. again.Well, since then I've ridden at Cookardinia and Harrow 2014. I plan on riding at several more vinnies, 'cose they are grouse!
I came across an '84 TS 250x. From the spec sheet, a real contender as a pre-'85 vinduro special. I'm currently in the process of -
   1   Making it run
   2   Fixing the crack in the frame
   3   Fixing the the engine/lights/things to make it historic registerable
In my spare time I'm -
  returning to running condition (avoiding the term "restoring") a '72 CB750 as my classic
  building a cafe bike from my aircooled RD 350

I'm a member on 2strokeworld.com as CR750, rickman750 on sohc4.net, and cr750 on suzukits.com. The common thread is my Rickman. Speaking of which, it broke my left humerus and right radius when an inattentive on-coming driver decided to make a right turn across my bow. For the medically challenged, I broke both my arms. We shouldn't talk about what that means as far as hygiene is concerned.

Unfortunately, my personal web server crashed it disk drives and I was pretty slack at backups.. <sadness>
Here are some my remaining pics you might be interested in -
http://www.glasson.org and my videos of Harrow 2014 -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8HBJsGH9Sg_C7MbFhGx3Q
Enjoy.

So...... How do I fix my TS 250x? lol

Best regards,
Phill

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another Canberran
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:08 am »
Welcome. The 84 side port TS250X seems to be gathering a bit of a following like the PE's in viduro's I've nearly finished one as well for vinduro's hope you can find the bits to get it mobile as it can be a bit of a changeling process to get some bits(mainly plastics). Cheers Andrew
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline cr750

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57:05 am »
a bit of a changeling process to get some bits(mainly plastics). Cheers Andrew
Thanks for the welcome, mavman4200p.
Luckily, all the plastic is there, except for the airbox. I don't want to build a pristine and shiney bike. I'd be too afraid I might scratch it. (I fall off a bit) I like to use them, not look at them.

I'm entered for Cookardinia on Mark's IT175 along with the rest of "Team Penrite", Mark and Sarah. I'll be the dope with the GoPro stuck to the top of the red helmet. Come and say "Hi".

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »
So...... How do I fix my TS 250x? lol

Seriously... get a husky. ive had both.... 8)

just joking.......

but if you have a bit of pace about you and you want to get on it a bit, the ts will require plenty of work to satisfy.

Suzuki do great "duel purpose" bikes like the TS.....its not especially good at either of those purposes. Yes there are people who flash them up and enjoy them but after racing a wr 240 Husky in Enduros, an 86 powervalve TS with "Boltons modifications" was a stunning good looking disappointment.

very flat power, trailbike geometry and dull suspension. it did stuff, just not too inspiringly.

Up to you if that's where your at....

I had an 82 PE 250 that I liked better in the bush..... 8)