Author Topic: Rear sprocket guard.  (Read 20184 times)

Offline Natroy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Rear sprocket guard.
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:33 pm »
I was at the Nepean charity day and saw some bikes with a rear sprocket guard.
Can someone tell me what's the go with the guard?
Cheers.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rear sprocket guard.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »
To stop the amputation of stray fingers.   ;)
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »
refer GCRs
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »
GCR 16.15.4.6.  A chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain run and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.

2014 MOMS page 150.  On more modern bikes this is achieved by the chain guide.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:27:29 pm »
I'm just fabricating one of these at the moment. It had a chain guide mount about half way along the swingarm and I'm using this as the mount. It runs back about 6" at the top and 8" at the bottom. Looks a bit chunky. If I cut holes  in it what do we think restrictions might be re size  of holes and how close I can come to where the chain re enters the sprocket?

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »
A rule that is currently extremely loosely enforced it would seem.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »
 If you can't push a finger through the hole, I reckon you'll be somewhere around the mark... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:37 pm »
Hi GD66 was looking to do 2 or 3 cut outs about an inch in diameter rather than the old horrible drilled out look. Via the rule it says no access where the chain enters the sprocket so technically if I go about 40-50mm before this point it should be ok, but you might see the chain through the hole. Big fuss when the bike raced for 6 years without a guard and it never seemed to hunt down little children to hack their digits off.

Offline Natroy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »
Can someone let me know sizes/dimensions for this guard?

HeavenVMX

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »
Natroy there is no specific size or shape it needs to satify the rules as the requirements of each bike is very different.

My YZ250L required a small piece of plastic sheet (old number plate) added to the rear of the rear chain guide to make sure it complied which was about 50mm x 40mm. My 77, 80 & 81 Montesa Cappras required a small triangle of aluminium 50mm x 50mm x 50mm added to the rear chain guide. My VR250 needed a much larger guard made to cover from the brake stay mount back to the sprocket (about 75mm by 125mm aluminium).

The rule states

16.15.4.6 A chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain run and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.

People seem to be very put out about this but is seems logical to me that the rear sprocket is just as likely to cause injury as the front sprocket. Yes we have raced for years with no problems but it is not really a big issue. It is like a lot of safety items it is only when your finger or someone elses is stuck in the chain that you think a guard would have been so much easier ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:13:05 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:52:15 am »
Natroy there is no specific size or shape it needs to satify the rules as the requirements of each bike is very different.

My YZ250L required a small piece of plastic sheet (old number plate) added to the rear of the rear chain guide to make sure it complied which was about 50mm x 40mm. My 77, 80 & 81 Montesa Cappras required a small triangle of aluminium 50mm x 50mm x 50mm added to the rear chain guide. My VR250 needed a much larger guard made to cover from the brake stay mount back to the sprocket (about 75mm by 125mm aluminium).

The rule states

16.15.4.6 A chain guard made of suitable material must be fitted in a way to prevent trapping between the lower drive chain run and the final drive sprocket at the rear wheel.

People seem to be very put out about this but is seems logical to me that the rear sprocket is just as likely to cause injury as the front sprocket. Yes we have raced for years with no problems but it is not really a big issue. It is like a lot of safety items it is only when your finger or someone elses is stuck in the chain that you think a guard would have been so much easier ::)

The mission statement of the Politicaly correct movement  ;)

So at what point do we start fitting covers over those nasty spokes , shit theres 72 of the dangerous buggers spinning at speed on a jap bike and 80 on the Pom bombs and some euros just waiting for somebodys hand to be lured in  ::)

And surely all those nasty hot exhaust should be wrapped in 3 foot of abspestos cloth something heat proof but PC , just in case  ;)

Any sane person would replace those ridiculous nasty handle bars and dreadfull lever things with a nice padded steering wheel , paddle controls and air bags  just in case  ;)

Who in their right minds would risk life and limb by putting their feet on those medievial looking sharpened devices  :o Surley a nice set of big running boards would be so much more in keeping with the modern PC way , you know JUST IN CASE   ::)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 06:14:06 am »
SOOOOOOOOO glad I live in NZ we have 6 fingers so loosing one is not a problem, like Bill said PC rubbish Im all for safety but where does common sense draw a line. Next you will have to find foam racetracks.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:57 am »
its a risk reward thing guys, the risk of falling off is high. the probability of falling off and sticking your hand in the sprocket is low. the consequences of actually doing that is Huuuge. thus to lower the risk factor to "safe levels"... fit a simple guard. problem solved.

its all good until some one does a finger and sues the crap out of all and sundry for his own incompetence.... this has probably happened in the USA and MA is covering the bases. once the lawyers get involved, all bets, gloves and wanky statements are off...hard written statements are all that matters. ie GCR's

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:38 am »
It's such a simple fix, why all the fuss. I agree we managed without it for years and it seems an overkill, but in this litigious world it would seem a simple low cost preventive measure is not a bad thing. I've had a leg caught up in the rear spokes and thanks to good boots no real damage, but fingers in the chain/sprocket instant amputation.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:25:50 am »
I've seen the damage that can be done so I don't have a problem with the it.