Author Topic: xr75 spark problems  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Vince H

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
xr75 spark problems
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »
Hope some can help. Having trouble with spark on my xr. Can get a reading on a multimeter when shoved in coil wire or small screwdriver shoved in coil wire and grounded to motor. Put cap on and get nothing. Thought it might be the plug so tried another one still nothing please help

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: xr75 spark problems
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:50 pm »
if i'm reading this correctly,ditch the cap ,it's resistance overload,(did you think to test it with the meter??),5k's it,hth?, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Vince H

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »
Cheers matcho mick the cap I used come off my xl250 cause I don't have one for the xr don't know if that matters maybe u can tell me?

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »
most early honda caps are pretty universal,like i said check it with multimeter,or just shove/thread  the plug straight into the Ht lead & see if it sparks against the engine(earthed),  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Vince H

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »
Ok today I was able to get spark plug to screw straight into end of coil wire got a few shots of nice bright blue spark then nothing. Took plug out beaird wire held against motor and got spark again 3or 4 times then nothing again. So I did the smart thing "NOT" and held the wire gave a few kick with no result then ZAP got a good jolt right through me lol any thoughts???????

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:20:30 pm »
Could be a break in the HT lead at the coil causing intermittent sparking. If it's the original coil the possibility factor increases greatly. If not I'd check the wiring for cracking or earthing anywhere it comes in contact with the frame. Disconnecting the kill switch would also eliminate another possibility ;)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:45 pm »
try checking your spark with the lights turned off at night as makes it easier to see spark that's not going where it should be. how old is the condessor in it as they suffer from heat and age and if its 35yo replace it

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:17 am »
how old is the condensor in it as they suffer from heat and age and if its 35yo replace it

And the 35yo points whilst you are in there :),there was in the past an aftermarket coil suitable for XR75's from MCS,ask at your local bike shop or you can get one from US EBay  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Ignition-Coil-For-Honda-XR185-XR200-XR75-XR80-Ignition-Coil-/161362860337?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2591f9d931&_uhb=1
Your windings could also be crook,not common on XR's though ;)

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 11:53:38 am »
i was thinking condensor. but first things first disconect kill switch to eliminate that clean and polish points replace and set gap check continuity of wire from magi to coil. get a non resistance plug cap a genuine hond one would be good or something like one of those red champion ones. once you have every thing set up properly check it again these are a pretty basic ignition and make sure all your ground points are clean but im still thinking condensor. the one on my K0 was not so good it wouldnt hold the charge
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline Vince H

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:18 pm »
You beauty got spark today ended up being the stator. Wish I'd just changed this a week ago would have been so much easier lol  ;D ;D ;D ::) :-[ 8)

Offline Vince H

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:43:30 pm »
Have spark is white have set timing checked points they all seem right but bike won't start  :'( :'( any ideas

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:46 pm »
give it a good few kicks with choke on then pop the plug and see if it's wet with fuel..use the process of elimination ;)