Author Topic: Parts Washer solvent question  (Read 9500 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Parts Washer solvent question
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:59 am »
So I've gone and bought a small parts washer from Repco, I'm sure I read a post here ages ago about using kero as the solvent? but can't seem to find it now.
Actual approved solvent is "Water /Household detergent" but I doubt that's going to clean much.
What does the panel say?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:33:06 am by MX? »

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Parts Washer question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:33:22 am »

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: Parts Washer solvent question
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:27 am »
Does it last in the tank OK...or "evaporate into dryness"  as the brochure says.  ;D

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:47:33 am »
kero is acceptable.... works well and washes clean

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:50 am »
Does it last in the tank OK...or "evaporate into dryness"  as the brochure says.  ;D
Yes it does last well. The claim that it evaporates into dryness is a bit of a stretch as it takes quite some time. I normally blow it of with air and then let the parts sit for a while if not in a hurry or hose them with water then air blower dry them after the solvent wash.

Kero is a lot harder on the skin and is a lot more flammable than the septone stuff but probably cheaper. I have seen guy's use petrol in them but they are nuts.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:06:28 am »
Yes it does last well. The claim that it evaporates into dryness is a bit of a stretch as it takes quite some time. I normally blow it of with air and then let the parts sit for a while if not in a hurry or hose them with water then air blower dry them after the solvent wash.

Kero is a lot harder on the skin and is a lot more flammable than the septone stuff but probably cheaper. I have seen guy's use petrol in them but they are nuts.
[/quote
Kero is rough on the skin. Check the price of the Proper cleaner fluid, it's about the same price as kero.Some blokes are happy with diesel but I dont like it. Even its not much cheaper than the trade stuff, which I'm sure you can get from Repco in 20L. containers or from fuel depots. I haven't checked Super-con. cheers
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:08:59 am by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 01:49:03 pm »
Shell have a kero that they say is for parts washers.  I think it is called narrow cut or something like that.  Moto National sell it they are the Shell Advance M/C oil distributor.  Check their website.  http://www.motonational.com.au/

The other choice is some from Hare and Forbes http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Home
They have a water based solvent for parts washers.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
This place also has the Septone product plus heaps of other stuff. Located in Brisbane, Toowoomba, West Sydney and Bathurst
 https://www.bolt.com.au/high-five-20l-p-3823.html

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 09:54:06 pm »
Kero is actually abrasive the best and the worst is petrol
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:09 pm »
Colt fire arms use heated petrol as the final wash of there guns prior to blueing as it removes all trace of oil grime etc
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 10:04:04 pm »
Thanks all...after much consternation I went with good ole Kero. :o

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 10:36:38 pm »
For what it's worth....
If the container has a drain in the bottom, place a couple of Lt's of water in the drum with the kero making sure it's below the pump pick up and leave it for a couple of days. As water is heavier than kero and it doesn't mix with the kero, it will separate and the crap that is held in the kero will fall out of suspension and sit in the water, not in your kero and the kero will last a last longer and stay cleaner. As there is a drain, you can drain the water off with the crap and dispose in a much more environmentally better means. The main trick with a bike parts cleaner is to not use it to clean your air filters. Oil filter oil contaminates parts washers in no time at all.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:57:02 pm »
For what it's worth....
If the container has a drain in the bottom, place a couple of Lt's of water in the drum with the kero making sure it's below the pump pick up and leave it for a couple of days. As water is heavier than kero and it doesn't mix with the kero, it will separate and the crap that is held in the kero will fall out of suspension and sit in the water, not in your kero and the kero will last a last longer and stay cleaner. As there is a drain, you can drain the water off with the crap and dispose in a much more environmentally better means. The main trick with a bike parts cleaner is to not use it to clean your air filters. Oil filter oil contaminates parts washers in no time at all.
Sounds like a good idea...will try that.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:45:25 am »
I worked at Wayne Leonards in qland years ago and they had a 44 drum setup like that. full of water but with a foot of kero on top and colander set up so it sat in the kero and as you washed all the poo sank into the water. every so often they would siphon out the kero and water into a new drum and send the full one to the tip (long time ago...no recyclers)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:55:14 am »
Thanks all...after much consternation I went with good ole Kero. :o

You did go with odorless kero didn't you?
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B