Author Topic: Bruce Magoo McFarland Trophy  (Read 13922 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Magoo McFarland Trophy
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 09:09:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, and yes as all trophy's deserve respect but above all they need to be battled for, that's how we show respect for the trophy and remembrance to who's honour is bestowed on it.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
I think you are right in that the "Magoo Award" I referred to was not a race, but a recognition of outstanding service to the sport or similar and named "Magoo Clubman Award" It was instigated by Ross Campbell and the trophy paid for by him.
Doesn't help you find the perpetual trophy though

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 10:17:58 pm »
He's been told where it is. Barleigh Ranch Racetrack. Where CD5 was held. On display
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:22:18 pm »
Has got to stay in NSW, Heaven EVO Challenge would be a good event ?? Just my thoughts.
Couple of CR`s

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 05:43:08 am »
Heaven VMX is correct. It was put forward by myself and "donated" to the Heaven VMX club to be raced for at the 2010 CRC.

Now the club runs the CRC as a pre 78 event and it was good of them to put it on the same event as it shows their respect for Bruce.

I have no concern as to where a event is run as long as one is run. The owner of the Trophy is the Heaven VMX club and not me.

I only put it forward as it is 2 years since the trophy was awarded and it was a shame to see it was not being used. I only put forward to Conondale thing as a suggestion and as far as I am concerned it should be given at a Heaven VMX event.

Many thanks for the input guys.

Just a foot note. It was donated by me (not my company) and was done so to keep the "trophy and the man as the focus" but a lot of input by Ribbo and the then Heaven VMX club committee (it was their idea I just ran with it). After the first run CRC event (whish I ran at and yes it was over subscribed again as a show of respect to Bruce) the Heaven club did not have an event to run it at and that is why it went to Vintage Mr Motocross. The Evo challenge would be a perfect race for it in my eyes but again it is the members of Heaven VMX trophy.

Regards

Shane Wilson
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:56:07 am by Shane W »

HeavenVMX

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 08:27:51 pm »
Shane you will be pleased to know that the
Bruce 'Magoo' McFarland Trophy
was competed for by 12 Teams of 3 riders today at the Inter-club meeting of Heaven VMX and Northern Dist MCC (Retro MX) clubs at the Cessnock MX track.

The event was ran along the MX des Nations format and we called it the MX des ERA  ;).

It was a team competiton (teams were selected by lottery) each team was made up of 3 riders from different classes
Rider 1 - Pre75, Pre78 or EVO 125
Rider 2 - EVO 250, EVO 500 or Pre85 125
Rider 3 - Pre85 250, Pre85 500 or Pre90

Moto 1 had riders 1 & 3 from each team
Moto 2 had riders 2 & 3
Moto 3 had riders 1 & 2

Bruce would have loved it because it was a cunning and devious plan  ;) ;D to bring the differing class riders together into teams with every riders performance counting  8)

Will have a photo of the winners shortly. There was actually a tie on point between two teams with the winning team decided on a count back  8)

The winning team was
Scott Grant YZ400D '77
Shaun Tomkins KX250 '79
Cameron Bullen CR500 '88

The runner up team
Sean Hardman Husky CR250 '73
Carl Rindlesbacher YZ250H '81
Sean Guerin CR500 '89

The Coulda, Shouda and BUGGAs will be discussed for months ;D Bruce would be laughin' big time
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:33:34 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 10:11:14 am »
Excellent!

HeavenVMX

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »

left to right; Cameron Bullen, Scott Grant, Shaun Tomkins

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
That's awesome, well done to all concerned.

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »
Fantastic format and club spirit racing.

Congrats to Scrivo and the entire committee for coming up with the idea and making it happen.
Was a great success.

Oh and well done Cameron, Big Scotty and Mr Kawasaki (Shawn)...
 :D

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
Great Job!! Didn`t know how the MX des WTF would go??, but it was a blast, exciting racing with mix of Pre75/78 and pre 90 Bikes, Bruce would have loved it.
Couple of CR`s

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »
Sorry for letting the team down Birko.... I pulled a massive 4" long nail out of my rear tyre today !! I guess I know why I missed the last race...   ::)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:11 pm »
Good to see clubs thinking outside the box. The three lads look right chuffed

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:15:48 am »

left to right; Cameron Bullen, Scott Grant, Shaun Tomkins

Excellent to see. Seen the pictures as well and looks like a top class event at a good looking track.

The young bloke on the left looks like he not old enough to shave :)

HeavenVMX

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »
Cameron is 17yo he gets his licence in a week  ;) and he rode a '88 CR500 like he was born on it. He also rode a YZ250H in EVO, YZ125 in Pre85

Watching Liam Beverly, Carl Rindlesbacher and Cameron in EVO 250 all YZ250H on Saturday was just great along with Alex Middleton on a C&J 500 in EVO 500 gave us a touch up, I did get him on the start of one moto  8) :D well for a few corners anyway.

All of these guys ride moderns but also have a full Vintage season and all except Alex came though as juniors in the Heaven Club and Alex has been around Vintage MX through his dad Dave and has already put dibs on the C&J for the future 8)

It was excellent to see these guys ride I love seeing our old bikes being ridden with the 'ride it to win' attitude we had when we were 18 and the bikes were new.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:37:32 pm by HeavenVMX »