Author Topic: Bruce Magoo McFarland Trophy  (Read 13923 times)

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
Bruce Magoo McFarland Trophy
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »
Guys does anyone know what is happening with this trophy at present?

It was last handed out at the Vintage Mr Motocross meeting (I think).

I know that the Heaven club did not have a meeting to run the trophy at and that is why it was past to the VMM meeting.

If it is just "sitting around" maybe it could be returned back and (I can't speak for the QVMX) be given out at the other track he truly enjoyed at Connondale.

I do not want to step on toes here so please correct me if it is still being presented. I donated the trophy and this I why I ask as it was meant to be a perpetual trophy.

Just putting it out there.

He did a lot for the sport and was a great bloke and it would seem a shame for it not to be in use.

Regards

Shane Wilson

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Magoo McFarland Trophy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »
Good call Shano.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »
Graham Simonidis won it at the 2012 Classic Nats. I won it in 2013, Freaky in 2011 (I think).
I have never seen that trophy. We were presented ( Graham and I) with tankards, so an earlier recipient must have the perpetual trophy

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:41 pm »
No Col different award.

This was first given out at the 2010 (again I think) CRC meeting for pre 85/Evo bikes

Shane
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:07:57 pm by Shane W »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »

Re: Mr VMX 2011 Discussion

« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

Thought people might like to see the results
Pre75
30-49yrs
1st Peter Horwood (KTM)  &  Mr VMX Pre75
2nd Peter Lovering (Maico)
3rd Ross Merrick (Maico)

50yrs+
1st Mick McMillan (Bultaco)
2nd Noel Lewis (CZ)
3rd Greg Bilton (Yamaha)

Pre 80
30-49yrs
1st Dean Burt (Suzuki) & Mr VMX Pre80
2nd Robert ‘Beetle’ Bailey (Suzuki)
3rd Sean Hardman (Yamaha)

50yrs+
1st Greg Scriven (Montesa)
2nd Micheal Harding (Honda)
3rd Kenneth Swan (Honda)

Pre85
30-46yrs
1st Brad van Barrelo (Maico)
Craig Rodson (Honda)
Chris Drabsch (Maico)

47yrs+
1st Geoff Ballard (Maico) & Mr VMX Pre85
2nd Neil Gabriel (Yamaha)
3rd Richard Jolly (Honda)

Pre90
30-43yrs
1st Dean Burt (Kawasaki) & Mr VMX Pre90
2nd Adam O’Connor (Suzuki)
3rd Craig Lancaster (Honda)

44yrs+
1st David Middleton (Honda)
2nd Rod Neil (Honda)
3rd Shane Wilson (Honda)

Magoo Challenge
Dean Burt (Kawasaki)

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:07:37 pm »
Pokey that was the first year.

It was the one held the next year. It was only held the 2 years.

It could well have been Dean again but not sure.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:16:09 pm by Shane W »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »
There's a few of us who could contact Burty if you want?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Shane W

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:28:15 pm »
That would be good Nathan if you don't mind, that is if he has it??

I could not find and results from the Magoo challenge race but pretty sure it was Dean.

Shane

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:32:19 pm »
Just sent him an SMS. Will report back.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »
Shane,
          Yes Dean won the trophy. However he declined to take them with him. Glenn Pickering is the man to speak to.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:47:50 pm »
Can someone tell me about this cool trophy, like how is it competed for. I vaguely remember hearing about it but I can't remember what it is for and I really would like to know.
Magoo was a "good bastard" every time I meet him, and its a prick that the good ones can get taken to soon, today we said good-bye to my cousins' son (22yrs old) real outdoors and hard charging sportsman.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:13:00 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »
Can someone tell me about this cool trophy, like how is it competed for. I vaguely remember hearing about it but I can't remember what it is for and I really would like to know.
Magoo was a "good bastard" every time I meet him, and its a prick that the good ones can get taken to soon, today we said good-bye to my cousins' son (22) real outdoors and hard charging sportsman.

I will stand corrected but it was intended to be a special Trophy Race at Heaven's flagship event for Evo and Pre-85 bikes, the Evo Challenge.

For reasons I don't recall, the inaugural Magoo Memorial race was at the 2010 Crawford River Classic (Heaven's flagship event for Pre-70 ~ Pre-78 bikes). I do recall that it was so well subscribed that they had to run qualifying heats, and a final.

In 2011 and 2012 the trophy was awarded at the Mr VMX meetings. Mr VMX didn't go ahead in 2013, so this memorial trophy is currently in limbo, which is a shame.

HeavenVMX

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »
I do not believe the awards at the Nats was actually for this trophy but I will stand corrected if someone knows for certain.

The Magoo trophy was won both years at the Mr VMX meeting by Dean. He left the trophy with the Hunter Club who ran the meeting in 2011 & 2012. I have been informed it is still displayed at Barlleigh Ranch track.

The trophy was orginally awarded at a Heaven event, which I believe was the CRC. It was awarded to the winner of the EVO/Pre85 race at that event. It was not carried on for some reason although I suspect it was because the CRC was a Pre78 and earlier focus event and it was to be awarded at the EVO Challenge but that did not happen for some reason. This was all before the current committee was elected. Again I will stand corrected if someone knows for certain.

I believe the original winner was from Queensland and the 'sponsors' or provider of the excellent trophy, which I believe was Shane himself (again I would welcome confirmation of that) was generous enough to allow the organisers of the Mr VMX meeting to hold a special event for the trophy. The top ten place getters from the four ERA Mr VMX events did one last Moto to decide the Magoo trophy winner as a sort of ultimate award for the meeting which was the trophy. I was fortunate enough in the 2011 event to be running third in that race behind Dean (he was miles, literally, ahead) in the knee deep mud of that meeting until I face planted  :-[.

We had considered approaching the 'owners' (Shane) to seek approval to award the throphy to the winning team of our MX des ERA event at next weekends EVO Challenge meeting. We were a little too embarrased to approach anyone because the Heaven Club did not treat the award with due respect when it was orginally part of our program years ago.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:58:06 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
Gents, the Magoo Clubman award that has been on offer for the last couple of years at the Nats was donated by me with approval from Anne and also approval from the club hosting the championshp.  Entirely different to the perpetual award Shane has above - and I was unaware of.

I also thought the world of Magoo and the lengths he would go to for others so decided to donate a trophy at each of the Nats - yep the award Freaky won, Col won etc. in memory of Magoo and hence the CLubman title it received.

Actually Freaky - any chance I can do the same again this year at the SA Nats?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica