Author Topic: Pulling it  (Read 1955 times)

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Pulling it
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »
When you are reassembling cases do you use puller to pull the crank against the main bearing?  In all my years have not.  Just the old crank in the freezer and warm the inner bearing race trick.

But my Kx has the seals installed from the inside (stupid set up) and if the crank spins tight I cant tap the inner race in with a soft punch like I always have. 
So I was curious if many guys used a puller.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling it
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:10:20 pm »
you've definitely come to the right place, plenty of pullers here :o ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:55:12 am »
Husky owners are well know pullers also  8)

It is quite simple to make a puller that screws on the thread on the end of the crank and jack off ( :o) the inner race. I use a threaded bar inside a length of tube. Tube sits on the inner race. Use a nut on the threaded bar as the jacking device. Drill the threaded bar to match the crank stub threads. Left and right hand thread versions will be needed. You need two pairs of hand to use this! Can send photos if interested.

Husky sold a special tool for this that achieved the same outcome using a much more complex arrangement.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:34 am »
When you are reassembling cases do you use puller to pull the crank against the main bearing?  In all my years have not.  Just the old crank in the freezer and warm the inner bearing race trick.

But my Kx has the seals installed from the inside (stupid set up) and if the crank spins tight I cant tap the inner race in with a soft punch like I always have. 
So I was curious if many guys used a puller.
Which side are you talking about?
The gearbox side on quite a few motors have the seal on the motor side and most of the cranks are a clearance fit on that side as the primary gear nut holds it all tight, if it is all lined up straight it should go in quite easily. The ignition side needs a puller or the old hot cold trick.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »
    pm sent Pez

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:00:36 pm »
My favorite pulling implement. Suits Swedish fetishists!

And here is one for another puller  ;D sorry it took so long John!

Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE