Author Topic: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion  (Read 71256 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: 79 CR250 Front End Conversion
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »
Mick, using major components manufactured tomorrow is not vintage moto cross.

Evo is post classic Ted
lets keep the fun in it
"flat bickie"

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
Ted you are a smart guy and you love your ,bikes, so rather than critcising the system and the rules, harping on and on about things you don't agree with, and denigrating volunteer officials , why don't you do something positive.
If you can see ways to better our sport, why not work with the system and try to improve it instead of knocking it.
There is a protocol in place to make submissions and this forum is not it.
Bagging volunteers who work hard for our sport, calling fellow riders "cheats" who don't agree with your point of view and revving everyone up isn't the way to improve things and encourage people to stay in or join our sport. And before you jump on it, I am not infering you called anyone a cheat. It has been said on this thread and illustrates just how inflamatory these things become.

Offline Yamahaha

• B-Grade
  • Melbourne Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:47 am »
Boys it simple: Buy a Yamaha!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
YZ 250 modern, YZ 125G, YZ 125E, IT 400D, IT 175G x 2, YZ 400F CR250re,  2012 yz450fse Service Honda CR500AF.   Viper #73

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2014, 09:59:04 am »
There was a poll on here for those were interested in tweaking the rules. Nathan S instigated a thread just for the purpose and called on everyone to read and make submissions to him so he could draft a proposed set of rule changes/tweaks.

Obviously a submission has been entered to MA and now that people see it actually happening, they want to complain some more. Why? There was ample opportunity to register your ideas beforehand.

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
I don't want to be rude but the previous rules for EVO where rather poorly written and open to very different interpretations. The proposed new ones aren't much better and I'd like to hear from the author as to the intended meaning.
As for poles on forum, they never give a true representation of what the majority of riders want only what the most vocal Forum goers want.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »
There was a poll on here for those were interested in tweaking the rules. Nathan S instigated a thread just for the purpose and called on everyone to read and make submissions to him so he could draft a proposed set of rule changes/tweaks.

Obviously a submission has been entered to MA and now that people see it actually happening, they want to complain some more. Why? There was ample opportunity to register your ideas beforehand.

I'm not sure if Nathan did submit anything to MA (to be submitted to the commission) before the due date, but I didn't see his name mentioned in the minutes.  Nathan tends to over complicate things when he tries to write rules (and posts).  If you want to see something different to what was in the MOMS but not what has been proposed.  Respond to MA =13396&tx_ttnews[backPid]=6&cHash=dc276bfe71]http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=12&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=13396&tx_ttnews[backPid]=6&cHash=dc276bfe71  The final decision will be made by the MA Board.  There is a new CEO and President and some new Board members.

IMO EVO should be what it was originally using Rick Doughty's (Vintage Iron) rules  Evolution 125, 250 and 500

1975 and later machines, originally built with air cooled engines, drum brakes and no linkage suspension. Note: Yamaha monoshock models are eligible up to 1981.

Also I recall a rule saying components must come from EVO eligible bikes etc.

It may now be too late to go back to this.  Because there is a lot of bikes out there that have not got everything on them, that I will call "within the spirit of the class".  Having said this I'm sure the majority of us don't want to see the class deteriorate into what happens in the UK and Holland.  They use later model bikes and do what is needed to make them comply.  eg fit drum brakes to disc brake bikes, fit air-cooled engines to water cooled bikes, change single shock to twin shock etc.  Or adapt drum brakes to modern forks.

The EVO class was first run in Australia at the Thumper Nats in the 90s using Rick's rules a long time before the class appeared in the MA rule book.

I remember asking Hans Applegren to change from Twin Shock to EVO so the Yamaha's could be used.

Anyway EVO is a Vintage class and it should stay that way.

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:31:52 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2014, 02:24:34 pm »
OK here are the facts.

1.  The Evolution class first appeared in the MA rule book (MOMS) in 2004.
The rules then were:-

14.2.15.2  RULES OF THE CLASS

14.2.15.3.  Bikes will be OEM.  Modifications converting later equipment to comply will not be allowed. 
                 All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured.
                a) No linkage suspension
                b) No Disc brakes
                c) Air cooled motors

14.2.15.4.  Capacities.
                 a)  Solo 125cc
                 b)  Solo 250cc
                 c)  Solo 263 and over.
/b]

Please note the sentence "All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured."

To me this means if the bike is a 1981 model that is the year all components should come from and maybe before that year.  So EVO does have a period. It is the year the bike was manufactured.

In the 2006 MOMS there was a sentence saying No age groups classes will be run.  Why I don't know!!!

In the 2012 MOMS several other rules were added that were added to all classes.  The thing that stands out is the sentence "All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured." is still there.

So in my opinion adapting components from a later model bike even if it is only a year older is not within the rules as written or more important the spirit of the class.

It may now be too late to go back from what people using their interpretation of the rules have made the class.

What we need to make sure doesn't occur is that the classes do not become a frakenbike class.

Kevin

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2014, 03:21:25 pm »
Below is the wording the commission wants to change the rules too
The wording in red with strike out will be removed.
The wording in red is the new wording.
16.15.12 Acceptable machines and components: Evolution Class Solo
16.15.12.1 Bikes will be OEM (original equipment manufacturer).
16.15.12.2 Modifications converting later equipment to comply will not be allowed.
16.15.12.3 All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured The machine will have:
a) No linkage suspension,
b) No disk brakes,
c) Air cooled motors.
16.15.12.4 Carburettors; period flat slide carburettors and any round slide carburettor may be used.

Kevin M

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »
I find it funny that the Husky, Maico and Yamaha owners are not bleating about change to suspension.

Must be just a Honda thing.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »
Firstly, all PB was wanting was some leads on a 43mm front end for his bike, not sure he got any but he did get another shouting match about EVO rules.
Secondly, you don't need to modify an EVO Husky, just ride them! Some even have 35mm forks, OMFG!
K

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »
I haven't been shouting.  I haven't even increased the font size or had the text scrolling across the page. I have just stated the facts.

IMO

Kevin

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »
As for poles on forum, they never give a true representation of what the majority of riders want only what the most vocal Forum goers want.
Exactly! The majority of real racers don't waste their time with the dribble on here!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:06:54 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »

IMO EVO should be what it was originally using Rick Doughty's (Vintage Iron) rules  Evolution 125, 250 and 500

1975 and later machines, originally built with air cooled engines, drum brakes and no linkage suspension. Note: Yamaha monoshock models are eligible up to 1981.

Also I recall a rule saying components must come from EVO eligible bikes etc.

It may now be too late to go back to this.  Because there is a lot of bikes out there that have not got everything on them, that I will call "within the spirit of the class".  Having said this I'm sure the majority of us don't want to see the class deteriorate into what happens in the UK and Holland.  They use later model bikes and do what is needed to make them comply.  eg fit drum brakes to disc brake bikes, fit air-cooled engines to water cooled bikes, change single shock to twin shock etc.  Or adapt drum brakes to modern forks.

The EVO class was first run in Australia at the Thumper Nats in the 90s using Rick's rules a long time before the class appeared in the MA rule book.

I remember asking Hans Applegren to change from Twin Shock to EVO so the Yamaha's could be used.

Anyway EVO is a Vintage class and it should stay that way.

Kevin
[/
I agree with you Kev  this is the way it should be IMO
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2014, 06:10:51 pm »
Kevin were the Evo rules not in the rulebook prior to 2004?
I started racing Evo in the Thumper Nats in '96 with Rick Doughty's US rules.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile