Author Topic: Bikes that they shouldn't have stoped making.  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Bikes that they shouldn't have stoped making.
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:10:17 pm »
I'm no marketing expert but sometimes I wonder why they drop a good model or dont follow thru with success of limited model runs.

1) The Honda XR 350
2) The Husky WR 175
3) The Punch MX 250
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Bikes that they shouldn't have stoped making.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:58:19 pm »
4) PE175
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:59:24 pm »
Husky WR 400 / 430...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »
Japanese 2T enduro bikes. The prices that even average YZ250WRs and WR250Zs go for shows that there's still enthusiasm for them.

The modern trail bike market is very "hardcore" compared to where it was for the previous 35 or 40 years. In the past, the mainstay were bikes like DTs, TSes, XTs, XLs, and then XRs and TTs.
Nowdays, bikes like TTRs (which are vastly superior to the older TT250) are looked down upon as "learner bikes"...
Go figure.

The maintenance requirements and road suitability of a modern performance 4T is akin to that of an old KDX or IT. But where the old ITs were mostly only bought by relatively dedicated,experienced riders, a current WRF450 is the generic "trailbike" in the same way an XR250 was twenty years ago.

I don't imagine that human evolution has moved that quickly in the last twenty years, but apparently our need for shiny things has...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »
^^^^ what he said, there is a gaping hole in the market for small to mid bore 2 and 4t "trail bikes". Bikes with linear power, good brakes and a seat height that would make the bike something the average 16 year old could use and mum could also have a go on. Working for a Suzuki/Honda dealer it's amazing how many times I'm still asked "why don't they make the XR400 anymore" and although its not the worlds greatest Enduro bike I often ask the same question!  Suzukis DRZ400 would be the about the only Japanese bike left that could be considered a true "trail bike", there are others close but things like KLX250's and Crf250L's are just too road biased in their appearance and design to tell anyone that it would be a good choice and still hold a straight face. The DRZ though unfortunately loses out in some areas with the seat height being far too tall for a bike that aims itself at the weekend warriors. With a ADR compliant RMX450 expected by Oct it seems that trend is going to continue heading the direction it's currently going as opposed to "looking back to go forward" . Other bikes like DT200's, TS200's, KDX200's, XR250's also spring to mind as bikes that should be reconsidered by the Japs, them or a modern equivalent seems to be what the Aus buying public are begging for.

PS, it's only a matter of time before someone gets on here and says "what about the ktm freeride"...half a litre of fuel or whatever pathetic amount they carry does not maketh a trial bike!! ;)

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 05:09:06 pm »
XR400 - good trailbike for average Joe and requires minimal maintenance
XR650 - good outback adventurer
CR500 1985/86 - they just look great
Jap 2T enduro bikes but based on  MX bikes with wide ratio gearbox's, softer suspension and long range tanks

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
Any 500 2t , especially CR500, KX 500 early ones not the PC pussy whipped later ones.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »
I'll say it to keep Ted happy, RM125B......don't need disc brakes, easy to work on, offer the 175 Kit as a option, it's very light, Suzuki still make most of the parts......great bike with reliability, some sting and the average Joe blow can maintain it.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »
This comes up on car forums fairly regularly: People say "if they still made new X, I'd buy one for sure", but in reality, when you're standing in the showroom with the cash in your pocket, looking at a brand new 20 year old bike or an actual new bike, most people would buy the actual new bike.

I just read a bloke saying "I looked at a 2001 CR500E, then I went next door and bought a KTM520" - and that's the reality for most of us, most of the time.

They stopped making XR250s, XR400s and CR500s all for the same reason: People stopped buying them. The fact that a 15 year old XR400 is a safer choice than a 15 year old WR400F doesn't change the  1999 sales figures... ;) Nor does it change the fact that the WRF is still faster and still handles better.

For me, the real question is whether the all/most of people who bought WRFs would have been better off buying XRs.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »
This comes up on car forums fairly regularly: People say "if they still made new X, I'd buy one for sure", but in reality, when you're standing in the showroom with the cash in your pocket, looking at a brand new 20 year old bike or an actual new bike, most people would buy the actual new bike.

I just read a bloke saying "I looked at a 2001 CR500E, then I went next door and bought a KTM520" - and that's the reality for most of us, most of the time.

They stopped making XR250s, XR400s and CR500s all for the same reason: People stopped buying them. The fact that a 15 year old XR400 is a safer choice than a 15 year old WR400F doesn't change the  1999 sales figures... ;) Nor does it change the fact that the WRF is still faster and still handles better.

For me, the real question is whether the all/most of people who bought WRFs would have been better off buying XRs.

Two points Nathan

1) The DRZ400 is still being made and has gone relatively unchanged since 2001, that's coming up 15 years of production and steady sales figures during those years and still currently.

2) 10-15 year old XR400's seem to command a better average sale price on the used market than a same/similar aged WR-F, especially if the XR has had minimum use and been kept well.. Just my 2c
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 06:35:41 pm »
I was hoping KTM might make a real 300 2T MX bike this year given the new class at the GP's
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:18:35 pm »
Husqvarna automatics ,they were all pretty good , however with the last two models  they just got them really cranking and then stopped making them
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:30 pm »
Honda had a auto prototype in 90's that never went into production sadly :'(
Love the Auto's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 07:33:43 pm »
Two points Nathan

1) The DRZ400 is still being made and has gone relatively unchanged since 2001, that's coming up 15 years of production and steady sales figures during those years and still currently.

2) 10-15 year old XR400's seem to command a better average sale price on the used market than a same/similar aged WR-F, especially if the XR has had minimum use and been kept well.. Just my 2c

1) Yes. But the DRZ400 was a bloody good trail/soft-core enduro bike when it came out, and is now bargain priced. If they were the price of a KTM450EXC, they'd probably sell two each year.
2) For sure. Doesn't change 1999 sales figures, though. ;)

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 08:03:06 pm »
You guys are kidding,
You would sell 50 times more
Mister 50's than anything previously mentioned
I have even considered having them re-manufactured in China
The humble MR50 is a giant in Minibike land