Author Topic: kdx175 with front disc  (Read 5128 times)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
kdx175 with front disc
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »
got a kdx175 roller with 41mm forks and disc front end off the local scrappie for $20,as the compliance plate is gone does anyone know what year it might be and were they good turners?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: kdx175 with front disc
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
great little bike and the disc and forks fixes one of the big issues. motor can be made to go strong

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
The most common KDX 175 is the 81 model
They were around in 80 & 82 as well but there doesn't seem top be that many of them.
The disc won't be standard
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »
after looking at a kawi parts lists ive found out its a aircooled kdx200 86 to 88 model so since ive only got a bare roller im thinking of putting a xr200 2 valver in it and using what ever spare tanks/seats ive got in the shed or what I can find cheap at the wrecker here. before I do much more ill pull the shock apart and see wheather its good enough to put back into service although its not leaking but dropped the gas from the resivior

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »
much better find, id go the original engine, heaps better than an xr, superb two stroke motor and light as a feather (not eligible for vinduro but)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
i agree with husky, great little bike that can do just about anything. I bought a new one as a run out model when the first watercooled models arrived, i still think the aircooled was a heap better model.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
Agreed, I bought a new 200 in 86, it was one bike I regretted selling which is why I have now accumulated 2 more.
These models came standard with the disc front end and the motors were an aircooled with power valve, I think maybe the only production aircooled motor with power valve ever made.
The 86 models had silver frames and no indicator mounts as they were US spec non compliant models.
The 87 & 88 had green frames with indicator tabs on the rear.
There may be other minor differences but they were otherwise the same.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »
I did one up AK (after kids), hunted high and low and found an 87 which had spent most of its life on the road. I stripped it down, regreased everything, replaced some linkage bushes, new chain and sprockets, new piston kit (motor was in good knick), picked the exhaust apart and removed the internal baffling, alloy muffler. rejetted it and it was a great bike for a casual user. it would match a 99 kato 200 in a straight line but the suspenders were a little plush for fast riding (I didn't redo the shocker $$ as it had good damping but clearly needed a service!)

very enjoyable little bus, great in the tight stuff and surprisingly agile on hills. I would hunt for a motor, there is plenty about as the rear linkage, wheels and swingarms used to wear out and were expensive to fix. always check the rear wheel bearing housings in the hubs, it was common for punters to ignore a crook bearing only to find the hub would oval out real quick, plenty were glued up with loctite and shims over time.

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
...............just too much fun ;D

Roger

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
interesting chain on that one....

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »

..................happy now ??  ::)

Roger

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »
much better ;D :D

that would turn on a 5 cent piece wouldn't it?? with the 4 banger engine comp and the further weight distrib, 175s were pretty sharp out of the box so that would cut the front end in tight I rekon

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
ok I know most here would prefer I put a kawi motor back in the roller ive got but a quick check of ebay and the parts id have to buy arnt exactly thick on the ground and if the local wrecker has a motor it will be dead as he gets bike when their no longer worth pumping anymore money into them.the fact the 200 motor is chrome bore doesn't appeal to me either,nor do the power valves which are no longer available so ill go for the little Honda 200 thumper as I know them well and parts are cheap if you look around on epay [rod kit $55,cam chain $21,stock comp o/s piston $50] so not too dear for parts compared to doing a kawi motor even if the bore is in good usable condition [stock piston/rings/pin $150] and it will suit my sedate riding style I now have ;) ;D a quick check of partzilla told me that plenty of shock and swingarm parts are still available for them including the stock rear plastic guard so ill try and use as many green parts as I can but it will have a red soul in it. thanks to all those who replied.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
a mate recently did a 200 like that up and he went with a sherco 240 kit, solved the nikasil issue. he has done a beautiful job, answer chrome pipe and muffler, bike is stunning and goes like a jet with the extra cubes. he grafted a kx 80 rear disc on so its a complete weapon

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:30 AM »
yeah im sure a 240 kitted would go like a scolded cat but when I brought the bare roller off the scrappy for $20 I had no intention of chasing up all the rest of it but to put whatever I had in my shed or what I could find cheaply to repower it and with a user name like TT5 Matt youd know I like valves and cams instead of exhaust valves on two pokers so ill keep on that path with either a ct125 with a 200 barrel or a xt250 yam motor as plenty at the wreckers here or go all out and try a sp370 in it but cant see that going in without the bottom frame rails needing replacing and there a heavy lump of a motor ;D