Author Topic: Ray Ryan Memorial Trophy  (Read 3827 times)

Rosco400

Ray Ryan Memorial Trophy
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:56:01 pm »
Thought might put a pic up of the Ray Ryan Memorial trophy which is up for grabs at Heavens Crawford River Classic next month, its a cracker ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Ryan Memorial Trophy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:10:46 pm »
Very niceand worthy..
Who gets to get arm pump from polishing it..  ??? ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »
Is there something already written in pencil on the 2008 plaque???? ??? Very much looking forward to it myself.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Rosco400

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:55 pm »
Is there something already written in pencil on the 2008 plaque???? ??? Very much looking forward to it myself.

I think just maybe your year Lozza ;)

Very niceand worthy..
Who gets to get arm pump from polishing it..  ??? ;D

Glad to hand it back, lived in utter fear of putting a dent in it for the last eleven months :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:38:57 am »

Glad to hand it back, lived in utter fear of putting a dent in it for the last eleven months :D
[/quote
so if has graced your walls for 11 months,how was it won. ???
Is it all race day tally/yearlly tally/last all in race for the day win
or maybe is it cause your just a nice bloke award ;D
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:18 am »
Great Trophy dedicated to a great bloke. It's a credit to HEAVEN.
While on the same subject, what ever happened to the trophies donated to HEAVEN by Klub Kevlar to be presented at the Crawford River Classic?
The Roy East Trophy for pre '65, The John Hine Trophy for pre '70 and the Geoff Eldridge Trophy for pre '75. The first year the trophies were presented the club made a brilliant effort to make sure that Roy Easts daughter, Hinesys wife and Porky Eldridge attended to present the trophies in memory of their sadly departed family members that had contributed so much to our sport. Unfortunately, in the year between that particular Crawford River Classic and the next, a new HEAVEN management came into power and their now legendary arrogance and lack of respect for the traditions of our sport saw those trophies relegated to a second string position in the trophy count at the CRC. The president at that time not only insulted me and my KK mates who had donated those trophies as a gesture of goodwill even though none of us were HEAVEN members, when we weren't even asked to present the trophies, they were treated as a meeting afterthought as in " and oh, yeah, here's the trophies for pre 65, pre 70 and pre 75. See ya".

I don't what to be seen as a whinger but my KK friends and I are more than a little pissed off that the memory of three great Australian vintage racers and legends has been shuffled off into the background. Those trophies were intended to be the icon trophies, representing icon people. It's not about us, it's about respect for the intent behind us donating those trophies and the respect for the names on them.

Can someone from within the HEAVEN heirachy please let us know if those trophies are going to be returned to the status that they were originally intended. This is no reflection on the thought behind the Ray Ryan Trophy as Ray was a Klub Kevlar founding member and deserves every accolade thrown up in his honour. We'd merely like to see our trophies back up there with the Ray Award as icons worth winning and not an afterthought.

Rosco400

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »
The trophies and what they stand for are still all there Firko and are held in the highest respect of the Heaven club and the clubs nominated officers and to all those riders who would like to win them, I dont think they take second string to any other trophy and me and anyone else who rides next month will have our eyes on winning one or all :D If i had had the opportuniuty to place pics on the site for the Roy East, John Hine and Geoff Eldridge trophies, they would be there in a flash, I just got lucky last year with the Ray Ryan Trophy and had a few pics, something like the Steve Bradbury effect ;D

Im not in the Heaven Hierachy but have been a member for the last few years and only ever seen the club promote these events and trophies in the best interest for the sport and the club,knowing a lot of the heaven riders, i am sure that anyone who competes for one of these trophies would also hold it in  the highest regard

I believe these would be the sentiments of the club hierachy and all the other heaven members ;)

P.S. I posted this pic up because I held it in the highest regard and would love to have my name on it again, braggin rights alone are good for 12 months, Will just have to get the square barrel revvin hard next month because getting a hold of the John Hine Trophy pre 70 is next mission
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:59:51 pm by Rosco400 »

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:04:04 pm »
I remember when dad told Roger Decoster the news of Ray Ryan passing at Glen Helen 04, he was quite taken back by the bad news dad was saying..
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:55:27 pm »
I believe that one day last week would have been Ray's 60th Birthday.

I would like to think that he's up there with Jimmy Pomoroy, having a quiet beer.... ;)

firko

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »
Ray, Geoff Eldridge and Jom Pomeroy sharing a flagon of red. Now that would be a great little session.
GE will be gone 16 years in August. Where have the years gone.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »
even YSS gets to be in the photo of the trophy ;) ;D

Do any of Ray Ryans kids/family still involved in any clubs or racing etc ???
(60)so young, that is just not fair.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »
My observations (for what there are worth)
the trophies and the ideology behind them is still strong,
the Crawford river classic was/is a great concept with the special events for those classes pre 65 pre 70 pre 75 and pre78

Unfortunately the CRC was   dogged by unfortunate weather conditions for the years it was run on the june long weekend ,
since its inception other states have lifted to include special events in there home territory and there has been a fall of in interstate entries,
also the "Nats" returned to the eastern states and Heaven moved the date away from the june long weekend to accommodate this,and even then had to postpone  again due to weather ,
 the only thing stopping these trophies from being held in high esteem will be rider apathy
Crawford River is one of the only operating venues for vintage bikes with a grass track as well as a motocross track,
there is a working bee scheduled  there on 5/6 July to get the track prepared for these trophy races

Last years winners
Roy East        Mark Austin               Bultaco M11
John Heine      Neville Shepheard      Yamaha DT1
Geoff Eldridge  Kel Moore                Yamaha YZ250A
Ray Ryan        Ross Merrick             Maico AW400

over to you ;D

Cheers
Noel

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:54:02 am by Noel »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:28:10 pm »
...saw those trophies relegated to a second string position in the trophy count at the CRC.

In the last couple of years, they've been anything but "second string". I don't know about previous years, but since I've been actively involved, they've been The Big Deal.
Hell, this year I've been focussing on my older bikes, largely so I can have a shot at those trophies - not that I have any delusions of being able to win 'em, just to be part of the battle.

The only thing I've seen that's devalued any of those awards is Rossco winning the Ray Ryan memorial...  ;D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm glad those trophies are still being utilised in the spirit in which they were donated. I was basing my impression on the response in the second year when the people who had gone to the CRC specifically to present the trophies on the honourees behalf were rudely snubbed by the then president of HEAVEN. I was personally offended by this pigs attitude as were my friends and guests. This and the rudeness shown to our guest riders from NZ that year is why there hasn't been any KK presence at the meeting since. Hopefully we can raise a crew of old crocks to attend this year to try and win back the trophies named in our mates honour! Thanks again blokes.

Rosco400

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:55:47 am »
Hopefully we can raise a crew of old crocks to attend this year to try and win back the trophies named in our mates honour! Thanks again blokes.

Are you pulling on the boots Firko, never too late you know, 1964 Hindall Ducati on the Grass track, can picture it now 8), come along this year and have a look or a ride and perhaps a beer or two, i think you and the KK would be pleasently surprised ;)