Author Topic: Stainless spokes  (Read 5262 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Stainless spokes
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:35:07 pm »

Have to get a couple of sets of stainless spokes and nipples for front and rear wheels of my late 60's CZ side piper.  Where is the best place to pick them up?   I'm a bit worried about the quality of the Asian product and also if some of the local suppliers souce theirs from there.  I have emailed Buchanans in the US and haven't recieved a reply yet, I know Titman Racing will probably sell them and maybe Les,  so any help or info on good products would be appreciated.
                                           Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Stainless spokes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:27:42 am »
Les lists them but it's cheaper to buy them off CRHighperformance, the front set I bought earlier this year came with stainless nipples & cost under $100 delivered to NZ in about a week. Bought another front set off ebay a couple of months ago from a forum member which I'll use when I do up the second set of wheels
My local wheelbuilder reckons that Buchanans must use a different grade of stainless to anyone else as they last better than any others & he'll use them if possible, he reckons Buchanans are very hard to get a response from especially if what you want isn't a standard kit

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »
Buchanan will work off of a sample spoke or spokes. I mail them spoke samples all the time.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »

Can anyone give me an approximate price of a set of stainless spokes from Buchanans.  Would like to weigh up all of the options before I buy.
 p.s. Are the CR Highperformance spokes locally made or are they asian imports?
                                                                     Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »

Buchanan will work off of a sample spoke or spokes. I mail them spoke samples all the time.

Good link, they look like a good option.
I was quoted 190 for set for my xl250 from my local bike shop.
Was a bit more than I thought they would be.

Rob

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »

Can anyone give me an approximate price of a set of stainless spokes from Buchanans.  Would like to weigh up all of the options before I buy.
 p.s. Are the CR Highperformance spokes locally made or are they asian imports?
                                                                     Zane
CRHighperformance sell Buchanan sets, think price was under $90us plus postage. Cost is less than Buchanans list on their site without having to pay the $15 overseas fee

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
full circle racing sell buchanan spopkes too, was quoted 90 us plus post about a month ago , was quoted 85 + post from Charlie at the same time , Charlie was 185 ea for exel rims where full circle was 240 for a pair in gold or silver but not sure on the rim brand , both +post which was quoted about $120 for postage

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
Full circle racing sell their own spec rims, can't say with certainty where they are made but they definitely aren't excels.
Had always wondered what the postage for a pair of rims from the states was, did the $120 postage include the spokes?

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »
this is the reply I got back from Charlie , sorry it was $130 for post from the message I guess its spokes included , I see on his site he sells a cheaper rim also , think it was a SUN rim ?? he didn't send me a price on them

The Excel rims are specially drilled for the Cz MX models. The spoke sets are all stainless and Cz specific designed to endure the abuse of vintage racing. 
The prices: fr rim-$185, re rim-195, fr spoke set-85, rear spoke set-99. Shipping price- 130. These prices could be off a bit as I am working off memory. I will confirm these details and email you when I'm back in the shop.
Thanks, CR

reply from full circle racing , they didn't send shipping cost

Yes I have rims for your CZ. unlike modern bikes, vintage bikes have multiple angle patterns and quite different.

I use and sell Buchanans stainless steel hd spokes. The rims are $240 for the pair and the spokes are $90 per wheel. I would have to check shipping cost. I use USPS (US mail)

The yellow tank model CZs are sure becoming the hot deal in the States. Cool bike.

Tom McAllister
Full Circle Racing

these emails were about 16/4/14 , I had a racing accident about this time , have a few broken bones and now need a new helmet also so didn't go on with the rims
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:30:13 pm by rough rider »

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:41:11 am »
Tom's rims at Full Circle are an off shore rim but lot's of guys here in the PNW use them and I have never heard of any complaints. Check prices with Matt at Speed and Sport , he does paypal and usually has good prices and excellent service

http://www.speedandsport.com

Offline Scootern29

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:53:20 am »
+1 on what MauriceR said

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:57 am »
I think most of the stainless spokes these days are all sourced from India......the chapatti bros are making some good stuff.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.