Author Topic: Basic pipe mods to shift power?  (Read 5579 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Basic pipe mods to shift power?
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »
Those that are knowledgeable of such things, what are the basic mods one would, or could, do to shift the power in the rpm scale?

Example: extending the header, say 10mm, this would shift the reflecting cone further away, with the pulse heading back to the exhaust port having to travel further, and hence arriving later, would this be conducive to better timing at a higher rpm?

Are there any clues we can use to shift power around?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Re: Basic pipe mods to shift power?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »
GMC. J

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »
easier to lift the exhaust port a tad! that will shift the power up the top (you should ride the 400 john)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:42:57 pm »
Making the tuned length of the pipe longer will drop the RPM for peak power. 10mm would be worth about 100 to 150 RPM.
The tuned length is from the piston face to half way along the rear cone projected to a point.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »
Read the Bible by A Graham Bell,
Read it once, then get a pad of post it notes and highlighter pens,
Read it again writing notes on the postits
Read it again highlighting important things
Read it again

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:41:23 pm »
The short brief version
Long chambers make low revving motors
Short chambers make high revving motors

Long headers make good low down power
Long mid sections broader mid power
Long baffle cones will let the motor over rev

Make all sections long and you will have a low revving motor and this is where the compromise begins, you will always have to compromise somewhere to gain power somewhere else.

There's more in it than that but as Son says, buy some books from the experts
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:05 pm »
Those that are knowledgeable of such things, what are the basic mods one would, or could, do to shift the power in the rpm scale?

Example: extending the header, say 10mm, this would shift the reflecting cone further away, with the pulse heading back to the exhaust port having to travel further, and hence arriving later, would this be conducive to better timing at a higher rpm?

Are there any clues we can use to shift power around?

Short answers
 This would bring the peak rpm down.
Yes quite a few but that's how I get the big bucks  ;D ;D ;D and I would nearly bet you don't want a higher peak rpm but more over rev  ;)
easier to lift the exhaust port a tad! that will shift the power up the top (you should ride the 400 john)
These days we lower the exhaust port with much better results.
The tuned length is from the piston face to half way along the rear cone projected to a point.
That's a Jennings idea which is basicaly useless today we measure to the end of the baffle cone.
Read the Bible by A Graham Bell,
Read it once, then get a pad of post it notes and highlighter pens,
Read it again writing notes on the postits
Read it again highlighting important things
Read it again
I put it under my pillow, while a good read Bell didn't get a few things exactly right (mainly about transfer port timing). Luckily today with social media/internet we learn from the master.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »
Yes Son, I have that book, very good reading, some places a bit flighty and some a bit deep. but i have read some sections 4 times to get the point. Maybe a sign of my Leichhardt high school education showing through.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

That's a Jennings idea which is basicaly useless today we measure to the end of the baffle cone.

I'll stick with the Jennings theory, it's given me some very good results over the years. Bell also uses the Jennings theory.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »
True story
Many years ago I was trapped on a houseboat for days
I had the Bell book with me
My wife could not believe I could read the same book over and over again
I explained that every time I thought I understood something I realized I didn't.
About a year later Mr Bell walked into my shop, he was quite humble when I recognized him and pulled a copy of his book from my office and had him autograph it.
Several days later we had a Technical Commitee  BBQ and the Brains Trust got to ask him many questions, it was one of those great experiences,
For such a simple pump the 2 stroke is an amazing thing !!

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 11:37:18 pm »
Another Great Experience
In the early 90's I was invited to the Lucky Strike Suzuki GP Teams testing at Eastern Creek
Schwantz was testing four or five different sets of chambers
A Japanese Mechanic crushed last years set, lucky me found them,
The next day they started testing the new ignitions, funny the chambers never changed, but the ignition did many times, by the end of the day I had a far greater appreciation of the ability of ignition to control the power of a two stroke.
Get the Exhaust Close
Get the Ignition Just Right !!!
Never been more evident that the switchable maps on modern production bikes.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »
I'll stick with the Jennings theory, it's given me some very good results over the years. Bell also uses the Jennings theory.

Jennings was plain wrong on quite a few things as well, Bell and Blair NEVER considered the most important phase in a 2T engine. Jan Thiel did the same things at Aprilia Corse as what he did at Jamathi in the 60's, ended up with 25 world constructor titles
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:46:23 am »
Another Great Experience
In the early 90's I was invited to the Lucky Strike Suzuki GP Teams testing at Eastern Creek
Schwantz was testing four or five different sets of chambers
A Japanese Mechanic crushed last years set, lucky me found them,
The next day they started testing the new ignitions, funny the chambers never changed, but the ignition did many times, by the end of the day I had a far greater appreciation of the ability of ignition to control the power of a two stroke.
Get the Exhaust Close
Get the Ignition Just Right !!!
Never been more evident that the switchable maps on modern production bikes.

Another story about timing. Did some porting and head work on a late model 80cc mx and the owner assembled it and raced off to his favorite dyno man. Came back the next day with all this expert advice on why the bike had no power. Things like CR to high, port timing all wrong etc. I asked did the dyno man play with the ign timing. Big no was the answer. Cutting the story short, back to the dyno played timing and hay presto the most power from an 80 he has seen. That did surprise me if he doesn't play ignition as part of a tune.

After Lozza's claims.
Jenning and Bell being so wrong!!! I think I'll have to go and commit suicide.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:54 am »
I expected a few 'differences of opinion' on this matter but I love to hear everyones beliefs & opinions.  I think we all learn from our mistakes, I've made my share.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will study some books, thanks Lewis for the offer of a loan of some books. I hope more people can contribute their experiences.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:26 pm »
The short brief version
Long chambers make low revving motors
Short chambers make high revving motors

Long headers make good low down power
Long mid sections broader mid power
Long baffle cones will let the motor over rev

Make all sections long and you will have a low revving motor and this is where the compromise begins, you will always have to compromise somewhere to gain power somewhere else.

There's more in it than that but as Son says, buy some books from the experts
yep what GMC just said, we have used these biblical instructions and got a T250 with 315cc pots, (despite it being a sidecar) that pulls like a bastard, we dont have to rev the crap out of it either ;) plus get the gearing right and suspension is another story