Author Topic: Making "wise" investments...  (Read 15253 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Making "wise" investments...
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 10:04:27 am »
Your getting sensible in your old age Geoff......must be all that country living mixed with all those exotic metals you work with. Having said that, in the 1980's you couldn't give away 6 pak Chargers/327, 350 Monaro's /GT, GTHO Falcons, we know the bubble has burst but some people made lots and lots of money that the government didn't get 1 cent of. My $1500 1 owner HT350 is still in the shed......better than bank rates. ;D.....I wonder if my Berger will ever pull 100K plus?....LOL.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 10:40:58 am »
an old rusty Monaro is still pulling 10k even though it needs 50 spent on it!! ive kept mine regardless of some ridiculous offers, id simply rather have the car than the cash but if I need the cash I guess I could flog it I suppose and I will get away relatively unscathed $wise but have had some fun with it. cant ask for more!

mate had his wife buy him a special 1 off falcon xw gt or xy (I cant tell which was which) for his 40th from a local fella who bought it from ford newish. it was built for the yank guy that ran their Bathurst attack.

he spent a few bucks tidying it up then 1 day had this guy show up positively drooling over the car, gave him its full history yada yada yada and then asked if he would sell it as he had been looking for the car for years and years.... ol mate decides hes a bit over it and agrees on a pretty good price.

two weeks later some bloke rings and tells him he has just bought the car for 2.5 times what he sold it for >:(

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 05:26:40 pm »
Buy anything that 30 -40 year olds either loved or loathed or yearned for in their late teens when they didnt have the money for it . ie 80's mustangs ala tv series 90210 etc. Dirt bikes from then not so much as the craze was prety much over by then but Road bikes seem to be doing quite well.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »
Ok so in this thread we now have someone mentioning Beverly Hills 90210 and Geoff Morris making complete sense, I dunno what I did but the world seems to have gone completely flucking insane!!! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;)

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »
Just saw a picture of a Husky WR250 AE  twin shock , now that might be worth something.
PEZ ?
I have never seen a 250 AE I have only seen open class Auto's

Turns out it was a 83/WR roller with a ARMY 250AE engine.
Sure looked factory.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:28 pm »
Buy any registered bike through your business and buy tax deductible parts, servicing etc for it and fit them to your VMX bikes. When registered bike is depreciated down to $0 flog it off for 10% cheque and 90% cash. Thats how you can make money out of bikes.

Now I would never do this, but  8) 8) 8)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 05:58:19 pm »
Damn Monaro's, bought one when I was 16 racing green, gold stripe, black vynil roof (what were they smokin?) 186"s" $600.

Trashed it in 2yrs and sold her off for $200 and thought I was rippin.  :(
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:33 pm »
A Bultaco Metralla and recently an El Bandido for me, with a lot of explaining afterwards about "being special"
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »
Verodo Green...Niiiice!

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »
I've got a '74 Ducati 450 single under a cover just sitting there appreciating. Geoff makes a good point about money in the bank however the flaw in that argument, in my case anyway, is that the money in the bank would have been spent whereas I still have the Ducati.
I had a matching '74 Ducati 750 Sport that I sold in a moment of weakness to buy something that I can't even remember and have regretted it ever since. :'( :'(

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:46 pm »
Should i keep my KX250A4 for the purpose of investment or sell it as i wanted it for DT, but have now moved onto a pre75 project?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »
Please note the original post "pick a couple of mx or enduro bikes manufactured during or after 1995 for an "investment" in the distant future"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »
Ok so in this thread we now have someone mentioning Beverly Hills 90210 and Geoff Morris making complete sense, I dunno what I did but the world seems to have gone completely flucking insane!!! :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;)

Cheers, Brendan

Not sure if I've been insulted or complimented
I will have to think on it for a few days ;D

Geoff makes a good point about money in the bank however the flaw in that argument, in my case anyway, is that the money in the bank would have been spent whereas I still have the Ducati.

It was a theory, one that I have never been able to put into practice ;D

In early days there were a few iconic cars and bikes that had small production runs that were forgotten about a decade later, 2 decades on people started to appreciate them again making them collectible.
You have to look for the modern versions.
VOR
Vertamati
BMW 450
Husaberg lay down motor
A still running pit bike

I can't foresee anything out there that would make you good money like sitting on a GTHO for 25 years but then I have never been much good at predicting trends.
There was a time when I thought 23" front wheels and 17" rear wheels seemed the way of the future so it probably not wise to take my advice too much.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:58 pm »
A still running pit bike

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Good one Geoff.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:32 am »
There was a time when I thought 23" front wheels and 17" rear wheels seemed the way of the future so it probably not wise to take my advice too much.

Honda thought the same thing Geoff so don't be too hard on ya self.....they had me believing as well.

Trying to make money out of dirt bike "investments" just isn't feasible if you ask me. But it is much more fun than watching your money make the bank rich......
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.