Author Topic: Turbo crank jetting.  (Read 2376 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Turbo crank jetting.
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:57:17 pm »
Anyone had experience jetting a turbo crank engine? My thoughts would be because the fluted crank "super charges" the fuel that slightly leaner jetting would be appropriate?
I have a full circle "turbo" (fluted) crank fitted to a CR250RA engine with Mikuni TMX carb. It starts easily, cracks at the throttle but seems to load up a bit at idle. I'm still experimenting with pilot & mixture and am getting there slowly.
Started with a #40 pilot but had to have the air screw at 3 turns out, ordinary at idle though. Now at 37.5 & 2.5 turns, better but still gets a tad manky just sitting idling. Waiting on some more pilots to continue.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers,
K

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo crank jetting.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:14 pm »
I couldn't see it 'supercharging', maybe more likely to cause high & low pressure areas in the crankcase causing uneven air/fuel density in the crankcase? The plug getting inconsistent charges to be able to read properly?

Interesting I never seen one, got a pic?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:14:18 pm »
I was going to take a photo but forgot. It's a work of art & I'd hate to pay to have it done (the crank came in a job lot), imagine a differential crown wheel. It's apparently common in go kart racing and is supposed to increase the fuel flow. The full circle crank would have to even out the pressure more so than the standard diamond shape Honda crank. The Honda 250 factory bikes all had full circle cranks which didn't come to production bikes till 1984 I think. It will be interesting to see how it goes on the track.
K

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »
The concept comes around every few years, crank is either knurled deeply or has grooves machined into it like a helical cut gear opposed on each web. Does it work ..................depends on who you listen to. Jan Thiel proved the direction of rotation can cause a 1hpgain or loss depending on if inlet flow went with or against crank rotation. Cylinder reeds have almost universal 'angle of attack' and case reeds don't follow any trends. Latest 250EVO kart engines have ramps over the cranks as they have the reed at the front of the engine.
Here is proper Aprilia GP RSA125 cranks.

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:31 pm »
Found this while looking about .

06-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Please,
NO change in the outer surface of the crankwheels in a 2 cycle engine will show one bit of power increase OR decrease..

Crank MASS does affect vibrations FELT as well as polar moment of inertia,
changes to crank mass can deaden vibration and SLIGHTLY effect response to CHANGE in rpm,that means both up and down rpm swings.

Reducing crankwheel diameter WITHOUT like changes to maintain crankwheel to case clearance will lower case compression and create large pools of unatomized fuel that will cause fluctuating fuel curves.

In 23 yrs of 2 cycle work No gain has been made in texture of the surface as crankwheel rpm is very very slow and will NOT cause ANY pressure change in the cases.

IF it did would it not be exactly the same as supercharging a 2 stroke? how well does that work ??? IN THE REAL WORLD THAT IS<<<<!!!

supercharged 2 strokes have always had an exhaust valve OR have been designed with an extremely low BMEP so as to NOT make enough scavenging to effect the LOW pressure boost of the supercharger.:(

Changes to the shape of the OD of the wheels (full circle vs pie cut )......
Pie cut cranks may look like they FLOW to the transfers of a case fed engine better at near bdc timing but ,,,,,,
The real FELT change is in the POLAR MOMENT.. mass being equal, the gain in acceleration is due to the moment of inertia,,,,,nothing else..

Sorry if I burst the hopes of some newbies,, welcome to reality !! LOL:eek:

I can elaborate further if this ever comes off a dyno showing ANYTHING LOL

2 questions for you guys to ponder.

1. how do we measure transient power changes ?
2 will I notice anything from it ?

I'll check back in and see how we do..:beer;

Gus

06-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Transient power is the correct term for {rate of acceleration }.

The dynomometer testing we are accustom to reading is either swept up in the rpm range at a predetermined rate or decelled ..

Water brakes, eddy current brakes, hydraulic brakes,, these are all basic steady state methods of testing the power output of an engine.

When we make changes that alter the throttle response and or an engines ability to accelerate a given mass we have to do a transient laod sweep to quantify this.

Track dyno's or rear wheel dynomometers, These are using a fixed known mass with a fixed known moment of inertia.

When using these types of dynomometers, we are calculating the time to accellerate the engine from a specifeid rpm to another specified rpm.

The change in time from baseline tuning to modified tuning is hopefully quicker, this would read as an increase in transien horse power.

Land and Sea has a neet unit tha bolts directly to the crankshaft in place of the drive clutch, This fixed mass is the WHEEL that we are accelerating.

Bob designed the wheel to closely match the inertia of a std 121 tracked sled . With this WEIGHTED WHEEL we are not turning the track, just a weight on the end of the crank.

This is true to life real inertia testing of the ENGINE only.
This is THE ONLY real accurate way to quatify changes to responsiveness in the engine..

Well,,,,, short of the old seat of the pants method or jackstand whacking !!!

The dynomite computer will spit out the results to you at a rate of 200 samples per second..

These fiqures are not power figures, but acceleration fiqures..

This is why a superflow test at dynotech will not show changes or could show lower power output from a say,,,,,, reed cage or intake boot that really wakes up responsiveness..

the big reason you see companies like Boyesen and Steve Tass stay away from dyno's is unless the product shows a steady state power increase it won;t sell... EVEN if your e.t drops a full tenth !!!!!!!

The long winded story is about over for now,,

Gus:D
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19:05 pm »
and this

One more thing.....

Regardless of how you look at it,,
std dynomometer testing even at a test rate of 500-750 rpm per second accell rate it IS STILL very slow and is considered steady state to the SAE.

Testing at rates higher than say 400 rpm per second produces EXTREMELY low power numbers as the engine is not allowed to HOLD long enough at any particular rpm to record MAX torque or MAX work.

You will typically see rates of 200 per second for those of us who want to see the highes possible power numbers when dyno testing.

With an inertia wheel or track dyno the duration of test as well as the rate of rise of rpm are much faster..
Could YOU enjoy a sled that accelerated the engine a 400 rpm persecond when climbing ???

Hell NO !!!! thas slow and boring.

Gus
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
So maybe a gimmick? In the end I don't really care. I had the crank so fitted it up. I doubt I will notice much difference to a standard engine but in my mind it will be working better, lol. The consensus seems to be that I won't like the Honda anyway and will go back to a Husky very quickly.
K

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »
Maybe Mick  8)
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »
Honda and Yamaha are the gimmick masters so enjoy!

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »
I had a Turbo crank in an ATC 250 aircooled, it was also fitted with the factory 300 kit and had a perfect balance of horsepower, torque and flywheel weight .
I hope you end up with a similar motor, perfect for VMX?