Author Topic: Anyone loan me a TS/PE flywheel puller?  (Read 11865 times)

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Anyone loan me a TS/PE flywheel puller?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 03:23:17 pm »
G, I must have been thinking of some other swap..oldtimers I guess ::) the rotor not fitting the crank taper does bring back memories though..I 'was' going to have the taper in the rotor modded to fit but I never got that far as I scored the kit setup. Can't imagine it being difficult or overly expensive to match up at a machine shop ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:18 am »
Hmmmm.....wonder if a machine shop could turn down the end of the crank with engine assembled......

Then again, if had to split cases, could replace mains and things and do the bearing shield mod.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »
I was going to have the rotor machined..that way if it wasn't what I'd hoped for then I could always revert back to original  :-\

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 03:22:13 pm »
Machining the rotor to match the crankshaft would be much easier as it should be softer, most crankshafts are either case hardened everywhere but threads or through hardened which takes quite a bit to machine & would ideally be done with the crank in pieces

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
Good point.  I'm hopeful as the TM rotor is way lighter than they TS flywheel, so doesn't need massive purchase to stop spinning.  Does need to be centred tho.

Simo63

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
Machining the rotor to match the crankshaft would be much easier as it should be softer, most crankshafts are either case hardened everywhere but threads or through hardened which takes quite a bit to machine & would ideally be done with the crank in pieces

Or maye a better idea would be to use a 2nd hand crank that is already out of the motor so you don't need to dismantle yours if it doesn't need it :)

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 09:50:19 am »
Just had a machinist look at it and said can't do it properly in-engine, and doesn't think machining the rotor would give enough purchase on crank.  Damn!  So, out with the easy and in with the hard.  Secondhand TM crank....maybe....but hard to know if its a fit with '69 TS crankcases....

Simo63

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:11 am »
Just had a machinist look at it and said can't do it properly in-engine, and doesn't think machining the rotor would give enough purchase on crank.  Damn!  So, out with the easy and in with the hard.  Secondhand TM crank....maybe....but hard to know if its a fit with '69 TS crankcases....

I might have a TS/TM bottom end in my shed that would suit .. well I have 3 or 4 bottom ends so one might be of use to you?

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:13 pm »
I'd be thinking it is 'highly' unlikely a crank from a later TS or TM would fit the '69/'70. Wish I had spare '69 crank to compare though ???
Shame about the rotor machining..maybe a 2nd opinion b4 ruling out the option completely.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:45:59 pm by Doc »

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
Yes, might be worth a second look.  Like I said, the TM rotor is not heavy, as long as was a snug fit with a few cm of taper and key you'd think should do it.  I reckon machining out a bit extra inside the rotor so the outer part of it hooked up with the crank taper might do it.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:48 pm »
Yes, might be worth a second look.  Like I said, the TM rotor is not heavy, as long as was a snug fit with a few cm of taper and key you'd think should do it.  I reckon machining out a bit extra inside the rotor so the outer part of it hooked up with the crank taper might do it.

Wouldn't even worry about the key on a little rotor like that, just a correctly machined taper.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 11:11:33 am »
My machinist mate says he thought of a way to sort it during the night (sign of a true professional).  Touchwood that's what he's up to now.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:41 am »
Da dee dum.  My guy spent an hour poring over the crank and rotor before declaring too much risk the result would likely be an off centre rotor.  So looks like a split the cases jobbie - damn.

Is it worth perservering with?  Course not.  Will I anyway?  Prolly. 

I have some options I guess.  Simo's offered a TM bottom end, which means I'd have wholly TM engined '69 TS dirt tracker.  Be a bit lighter as a result - you can barely lift the TS bottom end.  Mind you, the TS frame weighs a ton too....

I guess I'd be keen to maximise the 'novelty' value by it looking as much like a '69 TS as possible - frame and engine.  The 69 bottom end looks quite different from TMs, and, well viva la difference.  But that means splitting the cases and the crank too probably.

What would you guys do?

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 03:46:19 pm »
well if its going to be used on dirt track your better off keeping your heavy magneto sparks  as not that much gain in power by going to cdi providing your maggie is in good condition. early tm250's were using ts gear ratio's so unless simo's bottom end is a late model box then theres no gain there either on the track so is it worth the head fork and time to mix and match to run the light weight tm ignition unless you plan on motor crossing your old ts ;) :D

oldfart

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »
Twisty .... been watching this thread for an answer as I'm in the same boat. 
Finding an offset kicker is proving to a pain in the but also ..... to clear down pipe 
Not too sure if the  early 72  Tm crank will slot into a set of 69 cases as the primary side is a little shorter  ...........   I could be wrong