Author Topic: Anyone loan me a TS/PE flywheel puller?  (Read 11866 times)

Anyone loan me a TS/PE flywheel puller?
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:40 am »
I've finally sourced a TM ignition to replace the points setup on my TS/TM250 to turn it into a decent dirt track race bike, but need a puller to remove the big old TS flywheel.  Anyone willing to post me one for a one-off use (touchwood)?  Happy to pay postage there and back of course.  Its the four holes type (one for crank, three for flywheel).  Canberra.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone loan me a TS/PE flywheel puller?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:28:52 am »
Are you going to the Gloucester meeting?
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:09:07 pm »
I just made one with a bit flat steel and four bolts was pretty easy.
1971 tm400 and PE's

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »
Sadly, am not going Mick.  But....just bought a harmonic balancer puller so will see if that fits.  Looks like it should - three prongs, 120deg apart, centre bolt etc.  I'm sure someone's tried this before?

Thanks Frostype.  Coulda fabricated one, but suspect needs quite heavy gauge and high tensile bolts - god knows when last pulled.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:24 pm »
i was hoping to save you the return postage :)
good luck ;)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:00 pm »
Sadly, am not going Mick.  But....just bought a harmonic balancer puller so will see if that fits.  Looks like it should - three prongs, 120deg apart, centre bolt etc.  I'm sure someone's tried this before?

Thanks Frostype.  Coulda fabricated one, but suspect needs quite heavy gauge and high tensile bolts - god knows when last pulled.

I have one you can borrow but they are easy to make I got a bit of 8mm plate welded a big nut(needs matching bolt) to the plate over a 12mm hole , then drilled 3 X 6mm holes on the flywheel PCD. Then machined a bit of scrap brass to soften the smacks.

You tighten the big bolt smack it with a copper hammer and re-tighten the bolt again, smack with hammer rinse and repeat 3rd or 4th go the flywheel will pop off.
Jesus only loves two strokes

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:02 am »
Yes, well the harmonic balancer puller fitted beautifully, but came with a very very long centre bolt.  nice and thick, but too long - it ended up twisting out of shape.  i haven't got a copper hammer, so limited the hammer work to a few half solid whacks to no avail.  tried heating around the crank to get some expansion of the inner flywheel, but no go.  now have to get a shorter high tensile bolt and try again.  mebbe a copper hammer too.  penetrene?

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:22 am »
Suzuki build the TS pretty good don't they,  They don't rattle themselves to pieces.

A few years back I had the same issue.
Took me a few days and lots of language lessons  for the neighbours before it budged.
Bent two bolts in the puller
used tyre irons to pry at the same time
used penetrene by the bucket full.
used heat

In the end I think it was a combination of all the above plus a bit of time and whispering the magic words.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:34:03 am »
I see.  Well, I guess I have to serve my apprenticeship then.  Plus work out which way to hold mouth.  Might get to HT bolts too!

Not today tho, all closed.  That's alright - other jobbie is body filling some tank dents prior to repainting.  Looking forward to spectators seeing a pre 78 Suzi tank on the start line that has neither like a TM, and RM or a seventies TS shape!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:27 pm »
If you weld a nut on the top of a bit of plate steel then you can mount it on with the other three bolts nearly flush and have barely any thread coming through to bend and once you've moved it a bit it will break lose pretty easy.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »
Yes, well the harmonic balancer puller fitted beautifully, but came with a very very long centre bolt.  nice and thick, but too long - it ended up twisting out of shape.  i haven't got a copper hammer, so limited the hammer work to a few half solid whacks to no avail.  tried heating around the crank to get some expansion of the inner flywheel, but no go.  now have to get a shorter high tensile bolt and try again.  mebbe a copper hammer too.  penetrene?
You need the nut and the bolt so you can pre-tension the flywheel and the smack jars it loose.  A balancer puller was never going to work.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:55:13 am »
Had the same idea for my TS250 Twisty (fitting TM250 ignition) but there was quite a bit of worked needed to make it happen. Unbelievably I stumbled onto a nos hop up kit inner rotor points ignition which bolted straight on 8)
....same prob with my flywheel also..took a couple of days loading up the centre bolt and giving it a decent whack whenever I walked past. As usual it eventually more or less fell off ::)

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »
Flywheel has popped!  Just cut down the long harmonic bolt to better size and soaked the area w penetrene overnight.  Clearly not been off in some time and stator plate rusty etc. 

But Doc, I was of the understanding the TM pointless stator plate bolts straight on (looks like it does - three screw holes).  Are there other differences, eg crank lenght/diameter etc)?  Can it be adapted by a diy bloke at home or not???

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »
yes 3 holes but from memory the '69 TS stator plate is larger dia. Been a while since I tried, not sure about the crank taper. DIY at home?  :-\ ..if the rotor fits then it just a matter of making an adapter plate for the stator so yes..it could be possible. Sorry to rain on your parade and I hope I'm wrong..but I assumed the same thing :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:00:57 pm by Doc »

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 11:00:14 am »
Doc, have received the TM internal rotor.  Have only done a quick check, but stator plate looks same diameter, which is good.  However (and this might prompt your memory), the rotor doesn't slide straight on to the crank.  Left side of the crank has a parrallel section then the conical bit with keyway.  Not sure at this point where its catching, but question is if a bit of machining will get it to be a snug fit.  Do you remember now looking into it?