Author Topic: And a YZ125G  (Read 6844 times)

Offline rodc

• Novice
    • View Profile
And a YZ125G
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:58 am »

Not sure if I will go yellow or white for this one.

Rod

Offline rodc

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: And a YZ125G
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:01:41 pm »
Engine cleaned up an in.

Clutch is a bit notchy.

Maybe yellow.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:32:20 am »
go half and half for something different, mix and match, with both colours already at your disposial you can try various colour placement combinations until YOU like it. just my 10 cents worth

Offline rodc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »
Seems to have an identity crisis.

And some other shots.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »
check out the g model in the 4 sale section, I recond the yellow guards/boots and white tank/sidecovers looks the part and youll have a bike that's just abit different to everyone elses stocker

Simo63

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:39 am »
When i discovered my YZ125 G white tank had split a few weeks before the recent post classic nationals, i grabbed the tank off my US yellow YZ125 H and fitted it.  It looked really good with the yellow tanks and white plastics.  Very worksey  ;D

As it turned out yzhilly came through with a spare white one so i ran with that but mixing the colours looks cool I reckon  :)

Offline rodc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:57:06 pm »
And some more pictures. Yellow for now.

Offline rodc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:32 pm »

I am amazed how well the universal fenders work to sharpen the look.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:04:53 pm »
That sure is dry grass you're having there ....

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 11:50:58 pm »
Hi Rod...
I had one of those new back in the day as a young dumb 16 year old.  I loved that bike but it had its share of problems.  When new, it handled great, was fast and really felt great.. but man, they had a lot of problems... all sorted after 34 years.. just rotate those forks a 1/4 turn each ride and make sure you have good cylinder studs...
Below is me on mine all that time ago at Coastals WA.  You wont see to many original number plates in good nick as they used to make us modify them to make them square..

Cheers,
Alex

Simo63

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 08:56:55 am »
just rotate those forks a 1/4 turn each ride and make sure you have good cylinder studs...

Alex I'm interested to know a bit more about the comment above re rotating the forks?  Are you suggesting they bend backwards over time?

I've never had a problem with cylinder studs either?

Cheers
Craig

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 11:43:29 am »
Hi Craig.  Yes, as you can see in the pick i raced one quite hard back in the day.  The fork tubes were always bending but back then i didnt know the trick.  We used to take them to a place that had a hydraulic ram to get them straightened.  It was only later on that racers told me that you should rotate them periodically so that they "wear" evenly.  The studs were a big problem when the bikes were new.  It was all sorted eventually but there was lots of nipped up motors, helicoils and all sorts going on at the beginning of the season due to studs pulling and not torquing correctly.
Interesting post here on VitalMX worth a look...
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/More-power-out-of-1980-YZ-125,1272889#post_2556602

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:18:47 pm by alexbrown64 »

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »
Simo, the forks bend and increase the rake. Thats why you rotate a quarter turn. If youd paid attention in camp Linsdale you would of seen it done on a certain 125. Hey but dont tell anyone, keep it for your own benefit 8)
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Simo63

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
Simo, the forks bend and increase the rake. Thats why you rotate a quarter turn. If youd paid attention in camp Linsdale you would of seen it done on a certain 125. Hey but dont tell anyone, keep it for your own benefit 8)

Righto Ted .. obviously I wasn't paying attention mate .. too busy eating Art's food :)

Hi Craig.  Yes, as you can see in the pick i raced one quite hard back in the day.  The fork tubes were always bending but back then i didnt know the trick.  We used to take them to a place that had a hydraulic ram to get them straightened.  It was only later on that racers told me that you should rotate them periodically so that they "wear" evenly.  The studs were a big problem when the bikes were new.  It was all sorted eventually but there was lots of nipped up motors, helicoils and all sorts going on at the beginning of the season due to studs pulling and not torquing correctly.
Interesting post here on VitalMX worth a look...
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/More-power-out-of-1980-YZ-125,1272889#post_2556602

Cheers,
Alex

Yeah you look to be shuffling along there Alex:)  Thanhks for the info. I had a 125F and went RM after a crappy season with it.  I recall the G's seizing a bit but I thought that was linked to the carby hitting the cases , vibrating, foaming the fuel and then running lean.  I've shaved the bowl on my current 125G to stop that happening.  I might have a later-in-the-year 1980 one as it's a really original bike and never had an issue with the head studs.  Might have fixed it by then.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:39:39 pm »
Hey Simo, i also had the 125F for a while and what a pile after coming off my YZ80F.  The G was heaps better but i got an early one and it was always in the workshop.  The first big open of the year, all the YZ's were breaking down.  Below is a pick of me on my G (278) with a young Jeff Leisk on his Clem Nunn Honda (5).  Just about blew me off the start line.  The G's were slow and i found that out when my younger brother blew past me on his YZ80G on a salt lakes... I,m currently doing up a 125K which is the best all round bike i ever owned, even amongst the new ones i have had...

Cheers,
Alex