Author Topic: Starting problems..  (Read 8014 times)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Starting problems..
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:59 pm »
You have removed the spark plug cap, bared the coil wire back, earthed it and given it a kick haven't you.
No Ted, me bad but will get around to doing it.
Really appreciate all the info and feedback guys.
Thanks. 

HeavenVMX

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:04 pm »
I hope you don't have a resistor cap or spark plug on a motoplat. They just will not drive a resistor plug or cap.

Offline FritzG

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 03:00:13 am »
I've had 2 Maico's w/the stock Motoplat ignition fail. The common failure mode for both of them was that they became increasingly difficult to start, then they would only light off by push starting, then not at all. So both received new PVL's. My 81 started acting really strange at the Boise Inter AM and quit making spark altogether, this was with a 5 year old PVL. I removed the unit and sent to Penton Imports for test, the stator coil was bad, very high resistance reading. Note: Steve at PI told me that it is not uncommon for the older style tape wrapped stator coils on the PVL's to last only 4-5 years. PVL has fixed this with a totally encased stator coil on the new units. My 84 500 is now starting to exhibit the very same hard to start problem (only push starting will work) so I'm going to try an HPI ignition on the 84.

I find it interesting that the stock Motoplat units on these bikes lasted over 30 years and modern ignitions are lasting a fraction of that.

Hope this helps,

Fritz

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:23 am »
There are several questions to answer.

1. Is it the standard ignition.  The 77 AW had a points ignition.
2. If not has it got a Motoplat off the next models 78 on.

PVL ignitions do fail after awhile.  There are other options available also, but as FritzG has said PVL know there is a problem so maybe the new ones are OK. 

There are also replacement coils available.  Les at VMX Unlimited has them.

Just another thing as already said don't use a resistor plug cap or plug.  NGK now have what we ran back in the 70s and 80s B9EGV or 8.  Or use a B9ES or 8.

My Maico 81 490 is difficult to start when it has been sitting for a while and requires push starting, but after it has started once it then kick starts.

Have you tryed push starting it.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490