Author Topic: KTM 250 MC 1979 build  (Read 2821 times)

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
KTM 250 MC 1979 build
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »
Hi just starting to a bit of work on getting my 250 in running order and giving it a tidy up, would like when finished to look original.
Am going to get the motor running first before I do any other work to it.
I want to get the engine checked I think it will need a little work to it, has compression and turns over smooth enough.
Question is though would like to refinish the paint on the engine, what's the best way get the old paint off and what paint do you use for it.
Am I better getting the old paint off and painting it when the engine is apart?
Is there someone in Melbourne would people recommend to check the engine for me?

Rob

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 250 MC 1979 build
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »
If the motor has never been apart, i would save the grief by rebuilding it, especially if you are going to effort of making it right look right.
Painting is easier if pulled apart i guess. The barrel will be bare. Head painted same as cases.
Paint stripper etc is the hard way to get the old paint off as it seems to stick big time to the cases. I have given gunter some cases to water blast this time to see how that goes (obviously better as i'm not doing the hard yards cleaning).
Rebuild, go for new rod, gudgen pin and little end, new set of mains/gearbox bearings, etc. and it will last a long while. Top end will need checking, and if within spec a hone maybe, or start fresh on the next oversize.
Carby - new slide, needle jet and needle for the Bing to cure any issues there.

All depends on what you want from it? a Show room looker, or a fully functional bike that will last.

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KTM 250 MC 1979 build
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »
Hey all am starting to get going on this bike, chasing a new cylinder for it if I can get one as mine has a broken fin.

Also would it be possible to turn the bike into a GS easily?
Wouldn't mind setting it up as a vinduro and would be a bit big for me on the trail.
Suffer from short leg syndrome which is ok at the motocross track but not so god when your trying to get up a rutted hill.. :)

Rob