Author Topic: Trials tyre for dirt track/short circuit??  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Trials tyre for dirt track/short circuit??
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:59:14 pm »
Hey sliders, im going to put a trials uni on my TM for the bonanza and have a go at some sliding ::) whats a recommended tyre to put on for this? is a great trials tyre a great tyre for a dirt track? Or are there other qualities in a tyre that are to be considered? With no idea at all im thinking to just order a Michi "Trials Comp" but input from experienced guys would be great   :)
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Trials tyre for dirt track/short circuit??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:40:55 pm »
geezas rookie ,every times theres dirt track nats on forum theres 20 pages of which tyres best  ;),wander over to the dirt track & go thru the posts,info overload guaranteed  8), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »
Go with the michi I use them on mx250 bit pricy if you only use it for one ride or get a mitas not as good but will do the job.
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:46:21 pm »
Go with the michi I use them on mx250 bit pricy if you only use it for one ride or get a mitas not as good but will do the job.

I was already leaning towards the Michi so maybe I'll just do that unless warned away from them in any other way. Sounds the goods though  :)
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »
Michelin !! :)

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:16 pm »
Be very carefull what you get, there has been a bit of talk recently about the speed rating of " Trials" tyres used on Dirttrack.
There's been several examples recently of tyres exploding at high speed, thankfully without any real serious injury but I wouldn't like to be on one when it went off.
There is also talk of differing quality of tyres within the same model and brand, eg - country of manufacture.
If I were you I'd be going for a Mitas, only because I haven't used anything else in recent years.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »
For a TM125
1st choice Michelin
2nd IRC
3rd Vee Rubber
4th Mitas
5th Dunlop
6th Pirelli
I have them all in stock except the IRC and Dunlop

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:14 pm »
For a TM125
1st choice Michelin
2nd IRC
3rd Vee Rubber
4th Mitas
5th Dunlop
6th Pirelli
I have them all in stock except the IRC and Dunlop

Thanks for all the info guys, might ring Bruce Collins tomorrow and see what the young fella can do for me on the IRC. Probably a lot more viable for me as I'm not likely to use it much. Just having a go while the opportunity presents itself easily  :)

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »
If you trailride, you'll soon get the wear out of that tyre, Rookie - just wait till you try one in the bush!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »
If you trailride, you'll soon get the wear out of that tyre, Rookie - just wait till you try one in the bush!

The trials contingent at work keep telling so but I'm not so sure about muddy conditions  :-\ the sure an impressive bit of kit to watch a trials tyre work as its intended to, the lack of self cleaning is the only thing I fear about using one for trail rides.

Be very carefull what you get, there has been a bit of talk recently about the speed rating of " Trials" tyres used on Dirttrack.
There's been several examples recently of tyres exploding at high speed, thankfully without any real serious injury but I wouldn't like to be on one when it went off.
There is also talk of differing quality of tyres within the same model and brand, eg - country of manufacture.
If I were you I'd be going for a Mitas, only because I haven't used anything else in recent years.

Very handy info, thanks. Although "speed" ratings are not something I reckon I'll be pushing very far at all at this point in time  ;D ;)

Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:57:28 pm by Rookie#1 »

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:48:07 am »
shorly someone has a used one he can try
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:51 am »
The Trials contingent from work must have a worn one for you to try.
Mount the tyre get a hacksaw, reverse the blade so the teeth face inward,
Sharpen the smooth side with an angle grinder
Then cut the blocks like a Speedway tyre
Cut the drive edge and then two other cuts
Have fun !!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:14 am »
I found on my slider, with a top quality trials on the rear that I needed to change my tyre dramatically away from the low pressures I was used to. First try I couldn't steer the bloody thing. What I'm saying is try various tyre pressures between 14PSI - 30 to find what suits you and your ability. Of course track surface comes into the equation. Just look out for sudden unexpected wheelies!
 Mine is a Michelin Radial x11 R18. ( Given to me  almost new by Penrith club member. Thanks Adam!)
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:39 pm »
The trials contingent at work keep telling so but I'm not so sure about muddy conditions  :-\ the sure an impressive bit of kit to watch a trials tyre work as its intended to, the lack of self cleaning is the only thing I fear about using one for trail rides.

Have you seen a Trials tyre flex? THAT is where the self cleaning comes from. In continuous gloopy mud, they won't work but for everywhere else - YeeHaaaaaaa!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...