Author Topic: SGP  (Read 3382 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
SGP
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:28:14 pm »
Just back from practice at Western Springs for the first round of the Speedway Grand Prix. The hree Aussies, Ward, Holder and Bachelor all looking good but Tai Woffinden looked really quick. Chris Harris back in the mix this year as well, but missing Tomasz Gollob and Emil Sayfutdinov. Should be good.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: SGP
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »
I was checking out Bet365's prices yesterday, they had Ward @ $3.50 for this year's title, Woffinden @ $5.00, and Holder/Nielsen/Hempel @ $7.00.
For this weekend's GP they listed Ward @$3.25, Hempel @ $6.50, Iversen @ $7.50 and Woffinden/Holder/Pedersen @ $10.00.

Not that I'm a punter, but the odds are usually a pretty fair guide. In a way it's good to see Ward has redeemed himself in the eyes of the Joe Public, good for him.

Should be a good weekend if the youtube highlights from last year's Auckland SGP are any guide.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:32 pm »
go darc go troy

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:12 pm »
I was suppose to go with Powelly this year but too hard on crutches, maybe next year if it's on and you can come in our luggage Al.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:17:41 pm »
Just back from the GP. The final won by German Martin Smolinski who rode really well to beat Nicki Pederson. Unfortunately he t-boned Darcy Ward in a heat prior to the semis and didn't even bother to go and see how Darcy was when he was laying on the track, prior to his trip to hospital, ending his night. At the presentation ceremony he proceeded to do his best Anthony Mundane impersonation - what a wanker. Chris Holder was unlucky to miss the semis but as usual was gracious in defeat and focused on the fact that he had 11 points which is a good start to the season - what a good guy, and he didn't even mention the war. Troy Batchelor had a couple of good rides and shows some potential. SGP standings after the first round are Pederson, Kasprzak, Smolinski & Lindgren. Woofinden went OK, but apparently is riding injured. Great night though, hope it's on again here next year.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »
Great GP especially since last year was crap but for two races
Now wait for Melbournes announcement

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:51 am »
report on darcy
one thumb  and knee damage
he reckons the knee will come good

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:15 am »
Smolinski rode a great, calculated meeting on a track that suited his long track experience. It'll be interesting to see how he goes on the shorter tracks. I liked how "the rut" had been giving riders some worry but Smolinski actually used it to drive him out of the corner in the final, very clever.  Pedersons block on Holder was a low bit of riding but what would you expect from the dickhead. It's great to have another character in speedway. I liked Smolinskis happy confidence in his own ability but I can see him becoming a pain in the arse unless he tones it down a bit. As much as I like the fact that they're Aussies (well,Woffy's mostly Aussie), Darcy and Woofy could do with some personality injection, especially Woffinden. They could learn some television interview technique from Chris Holder. Lastly....How good was Crumpy in the TV host chair? He and Tappy made a great combo.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:44:20 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:14 am »
Pedersons block on Holder was a low bit of riding but what would you expect from the dickhead.

Pederson got his kindness repaid as Smolinski did pretty much the same thing to him in the final.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:33:07 am »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....