Author Topic: Marty Smith replica - really  (Read 7951 times)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Marty Smith replica - really
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:30 am »
Well its really not like a MS rep, I am not a four stroke lover except for the XR750, but this bike is a great improvement on the XR200 which it once was. and the start price is good too.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:05 am »
"if MS rode a 4/, this would be what it was like"

He didn't that's not it!

great little bus , should make 1500...

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:11:53 am »
Nothing like what Marty Smith would have, or did ride...... Maybe it should look like mine....

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:08 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like this bike A LOT  8)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:30:57 am by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:59:02 am »
which one - ebay or TBM's - I like TBMs!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:10 pm »
IMO with the ebay one why go to all that trouble and time and use a 200cc engine.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
which one - ebay or TBM's - I like TBMs!

These arrows ^^^^^^^ pointing to the picture above my post denote that its that bike im liking  ;D ;)

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:41 pm »
TBM;s is the goods... I saw Steve Chapman ride an XR 200 at the Devils Pinch enduro in 84.

At the final special test around the tin mine, I rekon he had pulled the top out of the carb and then started it...was an impressive ride, came second in that test I remember... was way up in the standings ..on a stockish xr 200. Ive never heard one rev that hard for so long since....

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »

Gee, you keep stepping up with some very nice Hondas Mark.
I like it, really like it.
Could you elaborate on some of its details? like what it is and like what bits you built it up from?

Cheers.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »
Come on TBM...I too am intrigued enough to wanna know more about this sweeeet lookin honda  8)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 08:41:55 pm »
Love TBM's,....really dislike the one on Ebay. They should ban black rims!!! ;)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 08:53:15 pm »
I like to see the frame/carby combo as with all side port motors this is the biggest problem, but looks dam tidy in the pics.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 06:54:02 am »
I like them both (and the black rims!)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

Gee, you keep stepping up with some very nice Hondas Mark.
I like it, really like it.
Could you elaborate on some of its details? like what it is and like what bits you built it up from?

Cheers.

Thanks guys. It's all about the love affair I have with Honda's that started with my first XR75. And building a good competitive bike out of something once ordinary. Restorations are one thing, but building a good bike from an idea is something else altogether.

This one started out as a bone stock 1977 XL350 that I bought with the intention of building a pre78 4 banger. I had seen a pic on the net of a bike Honda tried to campaign in 1976 with I think Marty Moates. They shoehorned a XL250 motor into a '76 CR250 frame but they couldn't get it to handle very well so it was dropped. But I liked the idea and love C&J Framed Honda's but didn't want to pay the silly money they ask for them.

I rebuilt the motor and it is now a 420 with roller bearing cam and PVL ignition. Got some webster type clutch gears made up from a good mate of mine that speeds up the clutch drive, hence less strain on the gear box. Modified carby inlet to accept a 40mm Mikuni. I ported and polished exhaust port of the head and opened up the inlet port. 1mm bigger inlet valve. Shaved over 1kg of excess fins from the barrel and head. It starts very easy for a big 4 stroke and goes like stink with a smooth controllable urge of torque. I love it.

The frame started out as a stock XL350 but has had some weight removed from excess mount tabs and lugs. Manufactured a bigger gusset for the headstem/backbone joint. Seem welded the backbone. Cut and shut the rear loop to make it narrower and shorter to fit the narrowed '76 CR seat and RC type petrol tank. All the plastics are '76 CR250 and are mounted just as the factory would have done it. I modified the airbox from the PE to fit as I really hate pod filters with no airbox....The airbox looks like it belongs to the bike.
I had the factory Kayaba forks on a clapped out '78 PE250 so they got the nod for the front end. Rebuilt using '79 CR fork legs as the original was bent on one leg and rusty. They are spot on 9" of travel so all good there. I was lucky enough to find a rare as hens teeth White Brothers swingarm to fit pretty much straight after I bought the XL home. Got some mounts welded on to fit a modified '79 XL500 chain tensioner/roller. I should of got mounts welded on the arm for a sprocket/chain guard as well but I didn't know about that rule at the time of building  >:( Had the Ohlins rear shocks in the shed so I repainted them to match what Honda could of done. I also made up some decent (as in stonger) footpeg mounts as part of the frame and made the legs for the footpegs. I moved them back 30mm and down 15mm so now the bike doesn't feel so cramped. Modified the rear brake pedal so it doesn't drag in the dirt. Replaced the cable with a  brake rod from an IT Yamaha. Rebuilt wheels with polished rims, new spokes and repainted hubs. I kept the cush drive rear hub to help save the gearbox. Front hub is '76 CR250.

Basically what I have is a brand new (2 race meets old) 4 stroke motocrosser that goes extremely hard and handles very well. It has no problems changing lines and goes where I point it with no scary moments! Am I happy with the build? You betcha  ;D Would I do it again? I'm not in a hurry.... Was it the cheap build I intended it to be? Absolutely NOT...

Yep, it was a lot of work
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.