Author Topic: Piston brands  (Read 7601 times)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Piston brands
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:27:05 pm »
It was a lot easier back in the day. If you needed a new piston you bought genuine or wiseco basically.
Now it appears there are many manufacturers to choose from just to make life that much more fun..
What brands are the better and what are the ones that should be last resort?

Ive had good and ordinary from wiseco but im guessing the rebore had a bit to do with the rare failures.
I do see a brand ive not heard of forseti.. any comments or what do you choose? Prox.. mahle
Any and all experience will assist Someone.

cheers

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Piston brands
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »
Woosner can supply most husky slugs not sure of other brands....

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:26 pm »
Shane ...  for me it's  Wiseco - Wosner or Mahle     

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
Here's a interesting tidbit of info  Wossner, Vertex and Wiseco(and probably a few other 4T only brands) are all owned by a parent company Dover Group. When it was German owned Wossner were making great pistons in the last 18 months QC has gone to shit. Pro-X seem to be still made by ART a big OEM supplier in Japan.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:00:06 pm »
ProX pistons made for TY175/DT175 are  :)
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:13 pm »
Good info guys/thanks
 I pulled the head on the TS to check oversize for rings and bearing and its original but has a bit of scuffing on the intake. Exhaust and crown  looks brilliant. Tells me a lack of Lube at one time. Didn't fill the oil tank? wet air cleaner?

The spare motor turns out to be 1st over Suzuki piston with some nasty old ring or foreign body scoring again on the intake but should see one more rebore. Rings were stuck in the grooves, but intact.  Bodgy quick fix or someone has run this baby with straight fuel I think

anyway Its time for a few pistons

Offline enzo906

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:00 am »
2 Strokes
I have used wiseco prox and vertex in CR500's all worked better (lasted longer) than cast stock items.
The last was from England I'm sure it was Vertex and it had a black high wear coating on it. It lasted a few years with just ring changes, every time I put a Micrometer on it it showed minimal wear (My Barrell was heavily ported and tended to eat pistons)
ProX make coated ones as well I believe. So you pay more initally but they last longer and in the end are more cost effective.

No Idea about 4 stroke biscuits, they probably just wear out :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:25:34 am »
Serco are the agents for Wiesco and Woosner and probably some other brands.  If you are in the Brisbane area (SEQ) just take your barrel to the Serco workshop at Deshon St Woollongabba.  They can do everything for you including boring and honing.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:37:59 am »
2 Strokes
I have used wiseco prox and vertex in CR500's all worked better (lasted longer) than cast stock items.
The last was from England I'm sure it was Vertex and it had a black high wear coating on it. It lasted a few years with just ring changes, every time I put a Micrometer on it it showed minimal wear (My Barrell was heavily ported and tended to eat pistons)
ProX make coated ones as well I believe. So you pay more initally but they last longer and in the end are more cost effective.

No Idea about 4 stroke biscuits, they probably just wear out :)
ceramic coating, does work well hey ;) and to think I was scared to use it, would have saved some pain

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:23 am »
Hmm, interesting reading this  :)
I have been using Wossner in the Husky 2T

For my KLX250 I have used MTS in Florida for the last few years. Fantastic pistons, and the plus side is that they come with teflon buttons instead of the horrible wire clips for the pin.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline enzo906

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 08:56:18 am »
Shelpi

Exactly :)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile